Amazon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They told me to do that with an Amazon Echo, they delivered it somewhere else and a lot of arguing later they sent a replacement. Then few weeks later i went to the garage for a sandwich and they saw my work T-shirt and said we have a package for you, it was my missing Echo.

When i called amazon they instructed me to bin it to which i replied was crazy just generate a return and i'll send it back, in the end they said to keep it however these things need to be linked to your account and they deactivated the device as it was "lost" so i had to call back to have the thing reactivated the whole thing was ridiculous they were very insistent to throw it in the bin ... not very environmentally friendly.

I gave it to my sister in the end as i only wanted it for the radio in the kitchen.
Another ploy is to write to them , informing them that their unwanted goods await uplift , and that a daily storage charge of £xxx will be applied for each full day or part of a day until the goods are collected , to be invoiced monthly , and non payment will be enforced through small claims court , with interest applied for late payments .

Could be quite lucrative.

Point one - it is so he can discover which carrier delivered it .

Very difficult with "fulfilled by Amazon".
The boxes have route/vehicle numbers/codes on them rather than conventional tracking details.

Point two - although I don’t have an amazon account , I have received gifts bought for me from them and there have been delivery notes from the sellers in the box as well as consignment numbers on the address label

Not with Amazon fulfillment.
We sell on Amazon and always include paperwork in the package, invoice/delivery note.
Amazon themselves now include nothing, certainly for the deliveries I get.

I know an old mate, late 50's who went to work in the fulfillment centre last year as he decided not quite ready to retire after thinking he was.

He liked it, got bussed to and from work, long shift, lots of walking but suited him at the time.

No he didn't, the op told what he saw as a frustrating story of corporate stupidity and everyone else has started telling him what he should do. He hasn't asked for your advice and certainly didn't ask to be shouted at because you need to feel you are correct all the time.
Yes he did : go back and read the thread properly. Sentences which end with a question mark are questions , looking for an answer .

You are neither fun not my uncle .

I know the latter because all my uncles are deceased .

The folly of globalism.

Perhaps, but then useless customer service wasn't invented with Globalism....

why shouldn't underperforming employees be dealt with?
There have been innumerable documentaries and reports highlighting the shocking way Amazon exploit their staff .

This is the primary reason I refuse to have anything to do with them .

The extent of my dealings with them is in receiving gifts bought for me by others .

That this dreadful company also put smaller businesses out of business by undercutting them is yet another reason to boycott them .

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already covered. There have been scams where identity theft is involved.

1. They steal or hack into your account and either intercept the parcel (not in this case)
2. They use someone else's card details and your address, again to intercept the parcel. I have seen videos where they knock on the door saying the parcel is theirs and blatantly ask for it. They use someone else's card details and a different delivery address (from identity theft).

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already covered. There have been scams where identity theft is involved.

1. They steal or hack into your account and either intercept the parcel (not in this case)
2. They use someone else's card details and your address, again to intercept the parcel. I have seen videos where they knock on the door saying the parcel is theirs and blatantly ask for it. They use someone else's card details and a different delivery address (from identity theft).

Yes, this can happen.

I have seen some genuine mistakes on Amazon though.

I ordered my first iCarsfot from Amazon... when the parcel arrived, the label was correct, but the package contained two packs of Dettol wipes... returned for full refund. No explanation given.

It was a very lucky break, though. It was the old iCarsoft MBII, that was just then replaced with the current iCarsoft MB V2.0 (they couldn't make it any more confusing if they tried), so when reordering I ordered the latest model 😎

My point is that when you process millions of orders daily, some mistakes are bound to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
Yes he did : go back and read the thread properly. Sentences which end with a question mark are questions , looking for an answer .

You are neither fun not my uncle .

I know the latter because all my uncles are deceased .
Wow needed to reply to my post twice, if only you could have thought of a pithy reply on either occasion.
I can however assure you that I am both fun and some people's uncle although thankfully not yours.

I would report this to Action Fraud, as it’s possibly linked to identify theft.

Eg - someone takes out a credit card in your name, registered to your address. Either intercepts the post or inside job.

Orders a few random items and then goes bigger.

Not sure on Amazon but wouldn’t surprise me if they (or the card company for payment) have software monitoring on new accounts to detect fraud (eg brand new account, orders multiple high value items, laptops/phone etc the same day?). Whereas if a few smaller orders go through okay then a future high value order may not trigger the alarm.

Could be a simple mistake but if you’re sure they are not gifts probably better safer to report it :)

I would report this to Action Fraud, as it’s possibly linked to identify theft.

Eg - someone takes out a credit card in your name, registered to your address. Either intercepts the post or inside job.

Orders a few random items and then goes bigger.

Not sure on Amazon but wouldn’t surprise me if they (or the card company for payment) have software monitoring on new accounts to detect fraud (eg brand new account, orders multiple high value items, laptops/phone etc the same day?). Whereas if a few smaller orders go through okay then a future high value order may not trigger the alarm.

Could be a simple mistake but if you’re sure they are not gifts probably better safer to report it :)

ActionFraud is just a huge database, the vast majority of cases do not get reported to the police.

There's not much point in reporting anything to ActionFraud unless you need an Incident Reference Number (as opposed to a Crime Reference Number - they won't issue one because no money was taken, that's the rule). You might need it if the business you are contacting requests it as proof that you are serious, but otherwise not much will happen if you add this info to their database.

ActionFraud is just a huge database, the vast majority of cases do not get reported to the police.

There's not much point in reporting anything to ActionFraud unless you need an Incident Reference Number (as opposed to a Crime Reference Number - they won't issue one because no money was taken, that's the rule). You might need it if the business you are contacting requests it as proof that you are serious, but otherwise not much will happen if you add this info to their database.
Fair enough, but I thought that this was the sort of thing AF were there for?

All the same, if I were in the OP’s shoes I would consider getting a credit report to make sure everything shows as expected. Better safe than sorry :)

Fair enough, but I thought that this was the sort of thing AF were there for?

They were created to stop the public from wasting police time with managing reports of unsolvable crimes. It was OK for the police to handle complaints from the public about Nigerian letters when these were coming-in in the post (lovely stamps, BTW), and which the police could do nothing about anyway, but with Internet and email and mobile phones it became impossible for the police to even log the complaints, let alone manage the information.

All the same, if I were in the OP’s shoes I would consider getting a credit report to make sure everything shows as expected. Better safe than sorry :)

Very good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom