Amber Engine Warning Light - Safe until Monday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairgd

Car
C180 AMG Sport Plus
So my Christmas day present from MB seems to be a new light on my 2012 C180 Saloon - an amber engine warning light on the dash. No other warning lights, no performance issues, nothing. Only recent actions were an MB service 8 weeks ago, fuelled up yesterday, and did tyre pressures today. Warranty ran out 8 weeks ago, Ho Ho Ho.

Dealer is not open until Monday, so are my Christmas travel plans ruined, or is it safe to drive a planned 100 mile round trip?

TIA.

Last edited:
Maybe a trip to the shops but 100 miles? I wouldn't risk it. 1st up, you might end up breaking down on side of Motorway and having to wait 2+ hours for breakdown service on their busiest time of the year, and secondly you might cause permanent damage to your engine.

So my Christmas day present from MB seems to be a new light on my 2012 C180 Saloon - an amber engine warning light on the dash. No other warning lights, no performance issues, nothing. Only recent actions were an MB service 8 weeks ago, fuelled up yesterday, and did tyre pressures today. Warranty ran out 8 weeks ago, Ho Ho Ho.

Dealer is not open until Monday, so are my Christmas travel plans ruined, or is it safe to drive a planned 100 mile round trip?

TIA.

If you have access to a code reader, it may give you a clue? It may be something not too serious. A friend has had the warning light for a year now, and sometimes it goes out etc, . Car seems fine (error something to do with bank 1 lean, or something). I thought it only had one bank as is a 1.8.

Neil

I was confused with the OBD 'banks' references so I investigated. They refer to a group of cylinders with common emissions monitoring and control. A V8 would typically have separate Lambda sensors on each exhaust manifold, so would have two banks. A V12 might have four banks of three cylinders or two banks of six, each with their own lambda sensor(s).

If there is no loss of performance, it could 'simply' be a faulty sensor e.g. exhaust temp sender/sensor BUT is it worth the risk of potentially munching the engine? If you have Mobilo cover, why not have them come to the house and they will check the codes? Worth looking up to see if you are covered.

I'm in the UK so have full MB recovery cover, I phoned them and they said that what I have described is safe to drive, but to take it into the dealer first opportunity.

Still worried about causing harm, even though it is amber not red.

I had an ignitor go on me the first week I had the car from new, the thought of being stuck with one cylinder down on a motorway makes me think I should park it up until the dealer opens on Monday. Screws up holiday plans but oh well.

I had an ignitor go on me the first week I had the car from new, the thought of being stuck with one cylinder down on a motorway makes me think I should park it up until the dealer opens on Monday. Screws up holiday plans but oh well.

If there is no loss of performance then it will be something emissions based - therefore I would trust the guys at Mobilo and just take it

I had exactly the same issue a year ago the day before having to do a 400 mile round trip to Wales. Despite assurances from Mobilo I wasn't relaxed at any time. But nothing happened. When the car went in to the dealer on my return it turned out to be just a faulty sensor. Replaced and worries over.

Ok thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take it for a short run tomorrow and then phone the emergency number again for reassurance re a slightly longer trip.

So took it in today and they cleared a coolant temperature warning light, as no fault found. (Cost me £50 though).

I'm not so sure though, and have posted for the opinion of anyone who might be able to offer an opinion.

Glad you got it sorted. As your manufacturer's warranty only ran out recently I would have thought it was worth asking for the bill to be waived as "good will". Your dealer should be able to do this, especially if they want to retain your custom. If you bought the car from them and intend taking it there for routine services, then even more reason for them to refund the charge.

Glad you got it sorted. As your manufacturer's warranty only ran out recently I would have thought it was worth asking for the bill to be waived as "good will". Your dealer should be able to do this, especially if they want to retain your custom. If you bought the car from them and intend taking it there for routine services, then even more reason for them to refund the charge.

Agreed, they've been first class with me for the first 3 years, so I would expect a good will gesture for this - especially as I left them today with a number of advisories that total over £1000!! So I'm thinking if I stick with them for all this work the least they can do is waive the thermostat replacement :)

- especially as I left them today with a number of advisories that total over £1000!!

Geez , what needs done on a three year old car that requires £1k of work ??

Kenny

More unfortunate timing than anything serious Kenny, see image....

AZqlfEw.jpg

Actually looking at that again I am really worried, I'm not sure they have quoted me for the pads!

Last edited:
Get it into a good Indy. I wouldn't pay them that sort of money for discs and pads.

Where are you based? Members can help with a good Indy.

As for the tyres look at Blackcircle on the web for price comparison. I've used them in the past but only issue I would say is make sure to check their partner for fitting, as not always at the level you would expect it to be.

Hopefully, this will help.

By the way what is your mileage on the car?

I now understand why my two indies are snowed under with work and one of them earns so much he had a 3 week break for Christmas!

I just had x4 Goodyear F1 fitted/balanced all in for £407

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom