Amber 'running lights'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyS

Car
CLK 320 Elegance '99
Can anyone enlighten me as to the point of these? I saw a new 7 series beemer with them tonight and it just looked like the indicator was stuck on.. :confused:

always annoyed me with freelanders as they seem to not have the right rear lights on and use ones lower down rather than ones on the side

That bugs me as well! looks like they should be fog lights

Can anyone enlighten me as to the point of these? I saw a new 7 series beemer with them tonight and it just looked like the indicator was stuck on.. :confused:

I quite like the look, as GFP stated it's an American thing, pseudo DRL (they call them side marker lights in the US)

The facelifted 3 & 5 Series also have this (although I think the 3 may light up in white).

I modded my Civic to do this many years ago to get the US look :D

I thought in the DRL thread it had been general concensus that displaying lights all the time was a good thing.

Now we say we don't like them. :confused:

I thought the law stated lights to the front had to be white? (apart from indicators)

Shows how out of touch I am. :eek: :eek:

John

I thought the law stated lights to the front had to be white? (apart from indicators)

It does. But I believe you can have amber marker lights on the side (as trucks etc. do) - I assumed that's what people were talking about here :confused:

I thought in the DRL thread it had been general concensus that displaying lights all the time was a good thing.

Now we say we don't like them. :confused:

Don't worry, we're not the Borg, you can have your own individual opinion ;)

It does. But I believe you can have amber marker lights on the side (as trucks etc. do) - I assumed that's what people were talking about here :confused:

Yes, apologies if i wasn't clear, i probably have called them the wrong thing - anyway i just don't see the benefit of them on a car.

Thanks for that. I wonder if those amber lights can be seen from the front?:devil: :devil: ;)

I agree with you... What is the point?

Regards
John

While we are on the subject of coloured lights, what's the attraction of having blue leds on the bonnet?

It seems to be mostly chaved-up Saxos and Novas (and the odd Beemer!).

They must be illegal surely. May as well have a big sign on the car saying "please stop me officer" ;)

I know the Yank spec W203's had amber side running lights and it looks like the latest W204's have them as well.
I dont think the UK cars have these.
I think it looks OK.
It must add greater visibility when coming out of a side turning at night.
I predict give it another 2-5 years and all cars will have them.
How can having extra lights be anything other than good providing its done with restraint and taste?
Same principle as the introduction of the third stop lamp 20 or so years ago.
That single feature must have prevented thousands of rear end shunts on its own.

Last edited:
I know the Yank spec W203's had amber side running lights and it looks like the latest W204's have them as well.
I dont think the UK cars have these.
I think it looks OK.
It must add greater visibility when coming out of a side turning at night.
I predict give it another 2-5 years and all cars will have them.
How can having extra lights be anything other than good providing its done with restraint and taste?
Same principle as the introduction of the third stop lamp 20 or so years ago.
That single feature must have prevented thousands of rear end shunts on its own.
Are they side running lights or indicators? :)

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom