Ambient lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gman88

Car
C Class
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows if my c class has ambient lighting? I've checked the menu in vehicle settings and it's not there. I read somewhere that it comes as standard in all MBs, was wondering if that's true? It's a 2017 c class sport c200.

Welcome,

I dug out my 2016 w205 sales brochure and looked at standard fit and options.

Sport and AMG Line cars have Interior Lighting Package as standard which gives lighting in footwells, door handle recesses, rear reading lamps and courtesy lamps on all doors.

Ambient light is part of the Premium or Premium Plus option pack. With Premium you get Ambient Light, Keyless Go, seat Memory, panoramic Glass Sunroof. Premium Plus adds in addition: Burmester sounds ( speakers have silver covers) and Comand sat nav.

The Ambient Light has LED lighting in the door trim, side of centre console, front door sills, cup holders and door handle recesses. You have voice of amber, ice blue and white lighting that you can set at 5 dimming levels.
It is worth noting that the exterior lights in the door handles are very prone to failure, replacement LED units are about £18 each but take about 40 minutes to fit which involves removing the interior door cards to remove the exterior handle to clip the replacement unit in so are expensive to replace. Many cars have one or more that have stopped working.

Reactions: JHS
Welcome,

I dug out my 2016 w205 sales brochure and looked at standard fit and options.

Sport and AMG Line cars have Interior Lighting Package as standard which gives lighting in footwells, door handle recesses, rear reading lamps and courtesy lamps on all doors.

Ambient light is part of the Premium or Premium Plus option pack. With Premium you get Ambient Light, Keyless Go, seat Memory, panoramic Glass Sunroof. Premium Plus adds in addition: Burmester sounds ( speakers have silver covers) and Comand sat nav.

The Ambient Light has LED lighting in the door trim, side of centre console, front door sills, cup holders and door handle recesses. You have voice of amber, ice blue and white lighting that you can set at 5 dimming levels.
It is worth noting that the exterior lights in the door handles are very prone to failure, replacement LED units are about £18 each but take about 40 minutes to fit which involves removing the interior door cards to remove the exterior handle to clip the replacement unit in so are expensive to replace. Many cars have one or more that have stopped working.
Thank you.

I that clarifies the answer for me, it doeant have the additional premium addons either so it wont have the ambient LEDs within the cabin.
Thanks very much for doing that though, its appreciate alot.

.......... which gives lighting in footwells, door handle recesses, rear reading lamps and courtesy lamps on all doors.

Wife's bog standard 2014 B Class has that.

I'm picking up my 2016 C200 AMG Line tomorrow (30th Birthday treat) and whilst there are the ambient lights installed, flicking through the menu I could not find the settings (had done my research and knew where to look).

Anyone aware of the need to take it to a Mercedes garage to get the settings unlocked? They were stuck on the amber colour so would like the option of the other 2 colours and brightness levels

TIA

I would guess you're stuck with the one colour or you'd have settings for them. The multicolour ambient lighting has multicolour LED modules, I would guess yours would only have the one colour LED. I went through similar investigations with my Focus ST3, in the US it came with colour changing ambient lighting but in the UK it didn't. I would have needed extra wiring looms, different LED modules, different controllers, etc. Would have been a costly job on a Ford, goodness knows what that would cost on an MB!

I would guess you're stuck with the one colour or you'd have settings for them. The multicolour ambient lighting has multicolour LED modules, I would guess yours would only have the one colour LED. I went through similar investigations with my Focus ST3, in the US it came with colour changing ambient lighting but in the UK it didn't. I would have needed extra wiring looms, different LED modules, different controllers, etc. Would have been a costly job on a Ford, goodness knows what that would cost on an MB!

thanks mate, is a shame as was hoping that it would be a case of possibly activating the setting through the coding but if it's just the one colour i'll have to live with it

Thank you.

I that clarifies the answer for me, it doeant have the additional premium addons either so it wont have the ambient LEDs within the cabin.
Thanks very much for doing that though, its appreciate alot.
I had the same question re my S class, it only has white lighting. I'm having original Mercedes ambient lighting fitted by Braybrooks in Hertfordshire on Wednesday, exciting 😄
Not £2800 as shown on the website thank god but still eye watering lol.

I had the same question re my S class, it only has white lighting. I'm having original Mercedes ambient lighting fitted by Braybrooks in Hertfordshire on Wednesday, exciting 😄
Not £2800 as shown on the website thank god but still eye watering lol.

how did you find the installation? They're only 10 minutes from me and am considering having it installed as well (possibly android auto as well although that seems to affect the system a bit too much for my liking)

how did you find the installation? They're only 10 minutes from me and am considering having it installed as well (possibly android auto as well although that seems to affect the system a bit too much for my liking)
Had three car 2 and half days. The lights are fantastic, glad I had it done. I did find a mark on the head lining that wasn't there before, not had the chance to try and clean it yet 🙄

Out of curiosity I asked how much night vision was? £7000 to upgrade 💷💷😬

thanks mate, is a shame as was hoping that it would be a case of possibly activating the setting through the coding but if it's just the one colour i'll have to live with it

You will (would have) play for a few weeks, settle on a colour & never change it again. I've had my car 3 years and have never changed the ambient lights after the first month (5 colour).

£1800 w222

Had three car 2 and half days. The lights are fantastic, glad I had it done. I did find a mark on the head lining that wasn't there before, not had the chance to try and clean it yet 🙄

Out of curiosity I asked how much night vision was? £7000 to upgrade 💷💷😬

Thanks for the review mate, will consider it after Christmas once the car is paid off (got a small loan to cover the balance in July)

£1800 w222

On their website they quoted £720 for mine (W205)

I'm picking up my 2016 C200 AMG Line tomorrow (30th Birthday treat) and whilst there are the ambient lights installed, flicking through the menu I could not find the settings (had done my research and knew where to look).

Anyone aware of the need to take it to a Mercedes garage to get the settings unlocked? They were stuck on the amber colour so would like the option of the other 2 colours and brightness levels

TIA

Not sure if you got to the bottom of it. I am sure if you have 'ambient' lighting installed from OEM you have would have a minimum of 3 colours. Two 0f my cars a 2012 models (W166 & C218), both have ambient lighting and a huge choice of 3 colours 😂. Can't recall the exact namesMB have given them, but it is basically, blue, white or orange.

Changeable via the cluster menu, however I would imagine in newer models this may not be the case.

Here is some options:

Mine was £85,000 new so still an expensive upgrade at £1,800! ;)
Think I'd be suicidal at 60k depreciation in 4 yrs 😭😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom