Ambitious 129?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I think the car probably has more miles than shown but we will never know.

The odometer could have stopped working which was common and it was never changed I guess.

Either way, I really couldn't care less when it comes to mileage on older cars...I've driven cars with 200k which drive without fault and some with 50k that are completely rubbish! I just go on condition personally.

To be honest I've even thought about buying it...putting a gen 1 AMG kit on it and 17" split rims!

I do like the European cloth interiors. If anyone needs a hard top, let me know. I have a space on a parts car...... In Texas

MOT testers are known for making mistakes when entering mileage details. Kilometres/miles being a good example and/or an extra zero etc. Seen it many times when checking out a car/history. It’s fairly obvious that’s the case in this example in terms of recording same as both km and miles.

I agree it’s a bit strange that it hasn’t turned even a mile (or km) during those two years (September ‘16-18) but it’s still possible it was either stored or owned by the garage who did the MOT or trailered there/back etc.

I wouldn’t read much into the tyres, they may have been replaced since the photos were taken and in terms of the advisories as per a number of tested items they can be flagged or not depending on who tested it - such is human nature. It would be pretty easy to spot that on a viewing though if they were new or not.

I thought the steering wheel looked most worn on the 3 to 6 o’clock area - possibly from a steering lock or something as it wouldn’t normally wear there from excessive use, they usually wear on the top right in most cases?

I still don’t see a great deal wrong with the car from the pictures and for a 27 year old car it looks decent enough. Whether or not if the mileage can be proven correct I think if the cosmetics (bodywork), mechanicals and hood are all good then it should be a decent enough example for someone especially considering the lack of corrosion.

No affiliation with the seller but he seems to know his way around these cars quite well and has sold plenty others similar, so you’d assume he wouldn’t have picked a car like this out if it was a dud.

Reactions: SG1
I agree it’s a bit strange that it hasn’t turned even a mile (or km) during those two years (September ‘16-18) but it’s still possible it was either stored or owned by the garage who did the MOT or trailered there/back etc.

AFAIK brakes are tested at MOT either on a rolling road or via an actual road test. If so (I'm not an MOT tester so not 100% sure!) you would surely expect to see at least 1 km increase over the three full MOTs (plus one re-test) it had between 2016 and 2018?

They use a rolling road, but it’s a few yards travelled at most - certainly nowhere approaching a kilometre (or mile!)

They still use a Tapley brake meter if the rolling road is broken or for some 4x4/larger vehicles.

As I say, it’s unusual but just about possible all the same.

A local MOT station to me has a few ‘project’ cars that belong to people working there etc and haven’t moved in ages.

They use a rolling road, but it’s a few yards travelled at most - certainly nowhere approaching a kilometre (or mile!)

Ah OK. I assumed they would test the brakes at a higher speed, so over the course or 3 or 4 tests the distance would mount up.

A local MOT station to me has a few ‘project’ cars that belong to people working there etc and haven’t moved in ages.

Would be strange to MOT them every 12 months though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom