American anti wheel kerbing ‘sticks’?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
OK, I realise that what I’m about to ask is committing an aesthetical crime of the highest order, but I’m about to pick up my 2007 SL350 with its beautiful 19” wheels and I really REALLY don’t want to kerb them!

SO, I’ve seen in the USA, probably on custom cars, these rod like bendy sticks that you attach to the bottom of the front wheel arch, and as you park up towards the kerb, they stick out enough to touch the kerb first, and make a scrapping sound. They are like a very basic warning system saying “You are close enough!” So you ‘kerb’ these scratchy sticks things, not your precious alloys!

Does anyone recognise what I’m describing? I’m sure they are an American invention?

I dare say they are as aesthetically horrendous as American ‘bras’ for protecting the front of your bonnet from stone chips. No self respecting MB owner would even think about importing one of those little daft black vinyl numbers!

However, can anyone help with the ‘kerb sticks’ I’ve described?

Thanks.

I remember them from years ago...on an American car. But I've never seen them since.

they wouldn't be legal in the UK...

wheel refurbs are cheap - certainly compared the the running costs of an SL... time to man up :)

Hi, give wheels protector a Google. I have seen the like in the uk press and motor mags.

The springy sticks are called feelers, but I've never seen any advertised in the UK.

You could fit them until you get used to the width of your car.

Thanks everyone. I've Googled 'wheel protectors' and come with these.

Not what I was originally thinking, but I think they might work well?

Here is the URL to the red ones so you can see clearly what they are. I would go with black ones every time so as to be discrete:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

What do you think?

They are very like alloygators which is probably the best known brand in the UK. Had a set on the wifes SLK. Did not like them at all. Decided to remove them and just get the refurbs when needed. You have to remember that scuffed plastic looks just as bad if not worse than scuffed alloy.

I just had a set of Eagle F1's fitted and they have a "rim protector" strip which does not look unsightly. I don't know how effective they are as I know how to park :)

I remember them from years ago...on an American car. But I've never seen them since.

+1 the big American boats often had them fitted to help aiming the vehicle in the narrow roads and streets oat that time (50's mostly). Some even had small vertical antennas on the end of each corner :D

We country boys don't go anywhere near kerbs......there aren't any.

Mic

Tongue stuffed firmly into cheek and for sport only!!

Bit worried about a pilot that cant position a car away from the kerb.

They were known as 'Kerb Feelers'

Beloved of the Hispanics IIRC - along with such other style faux pas as pencil moustaches, cars with aircraft hydraulics, leapard skin seat covers.

I must admit, I do like chinos though.

Good Luck :ban::ban:

Last edited:
I just had a set of Eagle F1's fitted and they have a "rim protector" strip which does not look unsightly. I don't know how effective they are as I know how to park :)

I did my fronts before Vmax and strangely, I happen to look at them this morning as all 4 have a rim protector now.

However, I've managed to kerb a wheel with them before on a previous car.

It is better than nothing but it wont save you for all but the very lightest of touches...

Surely if you it a curb the protector will be ripped off leaving the alloy exposed to possible damage. 200bhp vs concrete curb vs plastic/rubber there's only one loser!

I can relate to the desire to protect the fixtures & fittings for as long as possible.....and the trade off between prevention versus appearance.

Found this link...........

.......could help prevent curb damage, stone chips, windscreen damage etc etc...although you will need to cut a hole in the front for some visibility...

:):):):):):):)

Car covers for indoor or outdoor protection

Tongue stuffed firmly into cheek and for sport only!!

Bit worried about a pilot that cant position a car away from the kerb.

You are completely right of course. When I’m elected Prime Minister I’ll remove the licences from people who can’t park....

In defence of rim protectors, London has a dreadful parking problem, like so many cities in the UK, and as the SL is a relatively wide car, I find myself trying to park as close to the kerb as possible, in order to avoid white vans swapping paint with me, and more often, the brisk removal of the driver’s wing mirror, (folding or not).

If I look down my street in Wandsworth there are always half a dozen wing mirrors of various designs hanging forlornly by a thin electrical cable. They look so sad :(

Also, you must excuse my ‘Just got a new car’ enthusiasm, which will wear off after a couple of months. (Actually, I hope it never does!).

Anyway, I’ve taken to getting as close to the kerb as I dare, then turning the wheels towards the kerb and moving slowly forwards. Once the tyres, (note ‘tyres’) touch the kerb I straighten them up and move forwards a couple of feet. Usually I’m parked pretty close to the kerb and thus a few critical inches further away from vans, etc, travelling at warp speed down some of the narrow streets we have here.

I take on board JohnEboy’s comment about rim protectors saving you from only the lightest touches. Good point!

Thanks

Kerb Feelers are still very big in the Aircooled VW scene, even in the UK.

I must be missing something here. The SL350 is a lovely looking car, putting either plastic outriggers to detect the kerb or a dental brace on the wheels will make it look like pimped pram. Steel wheels would downgrade the appearance just as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom