American WWII airmen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a $5k Nazi bounty on capture of Clark Gable IIRC

A different breed of man (and woman) back then.

It's difficult to imagine how the 2016 average 20 year old "Kevin or Perry" would deal with a situation like this with all the H&S and cotton wool they're wrapped up in.

You are right Red,I suppose they have led a different life,they expect far more than people who fought in WW2 I am not sure the general population could withstand the hardships,I hope I am wrong,I visited the war records online last week as I was tracing a distant relative who was in the RAF in WW2 he married and had a child in 1940 he was with 97 squadron as a air gunner in Lancasters the plane either was shoot down or crashed in the sea only his body and one other was ever found,he washed up on the coast of Denmark about 6 weeks later at Jutland,his son never knew him and he never knew his father who served in the Royal Navy and was killed in 1916 at Jutland,but looking through the online records is amazing leaving aside the planes shot down the number of accidents and crashes that went on every day was just crazy,the weirdest one I came across was a sort of test of the Spitfire there were 6 of them showing what they could do in front of a whole load of officers and people the whole show was in poor weather the last plane to strut it's stuff came along and the pilot thought the people were dummies for a firing exercise so fired and killed 17 officers and injured 72 others,you could not make it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom