AMG 18” tyre losing pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
Hi all,

So my front left tyre has been losing lots of pressure every 12 hours or so. Halfords have checked and found nothing wrong?

Now what?

should I get the tyre off and get the rim cleaned and sealed with whatever they use?

Sounds like a cracked inside edge of rim, remove the wheel, clean it up and have a good look at it, if cracked take to a metal fabricator and get it welded. Or, fit an inner tube.

Could the tyre need replaced ?

Most likely a cracked wheel, but of course the obvious possibility of a puncture or faulty valve remain.

Take it to a decent old-school tyre shop, they should be able to sort this out for you. Usually an old bath tub type container with water in it, to look for escaping bubbles - nothing high tech here :)

Hi all,

So my front left tyre has been losing lots of pressure every 12 hours or so. Halfords have checked and found nothing wrong?

Now what?

should I get the tyre off and get the rim cleaned and sealed with whatever they use?
Get it off and into a bath or sink. If the alloys are older they can become porus

You could spray a soapy solution around the rim ,you would see the bubbles getting bigger and bursting

Most likely to be a cracked rim, damage or badly seated valve. Also worth checking the bead.

Soapy liquid in water and generously coat the wheel/tyre and check for bubbling

The last two posts were what was used at my local tyre fitter when one of my tyres kept losing pressure. Turned out to be the valve.

Thanks for the tips Yex & Y3CHR

I had Halfords check everything with plenty of bubbles etc. Nothing noticed at all. I have asked them to take the tyre off. Check and clean the edges of the rim and add some beading. Fingers crossed that does the trick. This has worked before on my older BMW wheels.

Update. Halfords did all the soapy water stuff. Put a sealing bead around the wheel. This morning the tyre was flat again.
My son drove the car through a width road restriction. And felt that tyre rub against the kerb. Only 2 minor scratches to the rim. Could the tyre be the issue here? I’m thinking of getting a new tyre out on. Although the tyre was almost new anyway. Thoughts please.

If it's going flat in 12 hours, you will easily see where the bubbles are coming from if you submerge the wheel in water. Someone previously suggested the bath. Has this test been done?
If not, can you do this yourself? (I would start with the valve as this is often the culprit. If Halfords have reported the tyre, I would *hope* they used a new valve.

If yes, and no air is escaping whilst the wheel is off the car then I would guess a cracked alloy.

Thanks. I only have two showers. No bath. Halfords have been very good. They have checked everything and twice. And they are taking the car in tomorrow to check the alloy wheel again but this time with an ultraviolet light. The tyre could have been compromised so trying a new tyre of the above doesn’t reveal anything.
I have also tested the valve and it’s fine.
Thanks for your help though.

Ring around local tyre shops and ask if they have a wheel & tyre bath.

they will inflate it really high and submerge it fully.
Bubbles will emerge from any crack in the rim.

could be hairline, so tricky to see.

once identified, get the wheel welded 👍

Losing pressure in 12 hours is going to be easy to find for anyone who knows what they are doing. For me this would prove that your local Halfords (despite being helpful) does not know what they are doing and you need to find a local (I would suggest independently owned not a big chain) tyre fitter to sort it for you. If the tyre has been driven very flat then it will be ****ed. And best you find out what is causing the pressure loss otherwise you may be kissing goodbye to another tyre soon.

Thanks. The tyre has not been driven when flat. It has only been found to have lost pressure to about 10 overnight. It is a newish tyre with only 4000 miles on it. And still has just under 7mm tread. I agree it must be losing pressure from somewhere so I’m taking it to a “greasy joe” type tyre place to get them to have a look.

Took the car to Wheelsmart, in Mitcham. The minute they took the wheel off you could hear the hissing. It was a tiny hole but you could see where it was. They repaired it free too!

Thanks for your help here especially Smiley.

The moral of this tale is don't rely on Halfords for tyres.
Or anything else that involves them actually doing something to your car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom