Amg 55/911

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkynw

Car
BMW X4 335d MSport,MINI Countryman SD JCW, vivaro sport, nc30, cbr600rr
Been looking at a 996 911 for weekend fun for a little while now, thought id decided on an older model in top condition but whilst we do have 2 young kids we have a nice family car too so I don't REAlLY need 4 seats, I only have around £12k to play with as it's a weekend selfish toy for me but I've always loved the v8 howl and there's a few around within reach,anyone out there with an older high mile AMG55 that can convince me they are worth the consumption and running costs...
Tbh Ill probably only do 2k a year so a good one may not cost me that much to run?....

A 996 for £12k feels like taking a risk. I wouldn't have any 996 unless it was a GT2/3 or a Turbo (did that one) as they have the old air cooled bottom end whereas all other 996's (and similar 997's as well as Boxters & Cayman's) can be big trouble.

Can't help with the AMG, but they can't be any worse than the Porker.

Having had both... I can comment.... As Ian says the early 911's are prone to cylinder bore wear and for 12k you'll get a 3.4 or higher mile 3.6 Carrera.... They are a great drivers car however, coming from a CLK55 Cab into my first 4s was great, mid life crisis reached and driving my childhood dream motor... Yes it's quick but they are quite basic inside, the early ones are even worse.... My facelift CLK55 had allot more toys than my 911, sounded awesome after the mods I did and looked great....
The 911 looked the part, went well, had the Porsche exhaust which was glorious and was an excellent car, I moved on in a year to a 4s Cab, last of the 996 shape and better loaded.... Again a great car....
Both of my 911's were later models and had no issues at all, one had 85k on it and the other 46k miles... I had no issues whatsoever with either.....

Both my CLK500 and CLK55 were money pits, I simply got fed up with the Mercedes brand back then and at the time vowed to never come back......

So being somewhat of a car whore, and for other personal reasons too, I came back to the AMG brand again after allot of research into ML's, it's early days but I still can't seem to get the "coat hanger style" expression of my face at the moment!!

My advice.... Try a 911, but be aware they are expensive to maintain, more than some AMG's... Fairly basic, a hoot to drive but best of all you can say "I've got a 911"

Cheers Greg

I think you should go for a CLK55 Cab - maybe like the one I have listed in the classified ad section!!! :thumb:

With £12k, you are comfortably into good E55Ks, which will destroy and Porker you buy for the same money.

Nothing is immune to issues but I've only had one largish bill for airmatic sensor, auxilliary battery and pulley assembly in 16 months.

Others have had a few more issues and others not many. Get as late a plate as you can.

They are very comfortable and f fast, whilst returning 18 > 20mpg (subject to driving style).

Plenty of room for nippers and the blown V8 sound is hard to beat...

you can probably get a really nice low milage SL500, ive had loads of 911's, gone back to mercs

Disclosure - I am selling my C55, but having bought one with coilovers and with uprated brakes all round, after a day at Llandow with John Bussell (3 times Porsche GB champion) he stated that you'd need to buy a 911 GT3 to improve upon its capabilities, and that would cost four time more. For 12k no contest - a 55 with coilovers any day over a cheap 996.

SLK 55 AMG , you will love it!

Thanks for all comments, there's hundreds of Porkas around my budget and obviously only a few high ish mile slk55s but I'm in no rush, do they drop off in winter or just vanish?
I've been doing loads of research on 911s there's plenty horror stories out there but I'd put that down to how many have been sold and have probably had hard lives. As said my budget would get me a good cond 3.4 or maybe a tired 3.6, I would definitely get an inspection done too per-purchase. The Merc ticks a lot of boxes, looks are special, sound pretty much up there with the best and interior way way ahead of a 10 year old 911. Yes a 911 carries a certain qudos and I will definitely own one at some point. I like the classic style of an early 98/99 996 carrera but next to a 55 plate 55AMG I think the Merc has it? I'll have to drive both I guess....

BenzedUP said:
Hmmm, a properly driven E55K will match most sports cars round the corners.

It's all about the driver.

Agreed, you would have to spend far more than 12k to get a 911 that could lap faster than an E55K.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Lap times win races :) but if you're after a garaged car to do only 2k a year in I'd want the car to look special, as well as be special. The 996 would be my choice from the above.

Hmmm, a properly driven E55K will match most sports cars round the corners.

It's all about the driver.

Yup, and as a E46 M3 up my ass in traffic will testify from the other day, when the traffic gets out the way, the E55K really (out-)brakes and handles rather well on 60mph roundabouts and exits them with much gusto...

It would be an E55k for me - all the performance of a supercar but with four large seats and lots of toys :)

God, I wish I wasn't selling mine!

I'm not looking forward to parting company whenever that will be - these E55Ks are truly incredible cars.

JohnEBoy said:
I'm not looking forward to parting company whenever that will be - these E55Ks are truly incredible cars.

Wait for 3 years and the biturbo's will be starting to drop.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

That's the only car I would consider a successor.

The 6.2 NA V8 in all its forms just doesn't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom