AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think with all the tech in the car they kind of need the adaptive dampers.

Seems an odd omission, but I guess if they can charge more for it.

I regret not ordering a car and spec'ing them, I was impatient and took a car that was already on it's way to the dealership.

I took the car on a pretty standard A road last night and it was very noisy and I thought the interior was going to shake to bits.

If you spend your time on very smooth roads you will be fine, if not in my opinion the car needs the AMG ride control pack.

I think with all the tech in the car they kind of need the adaptive dampers.

Seems an odd omission, but I guess if they can charge more for it.

They were an option on the 45 and surprisingly not that popular. I think it makes sense to make them a cost option, particularly with the stupid tax rate for cars over 40k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends how it’s driven, majority of the time for me it’s steady in traffic or the other half so wants to be comfortable, the passive damper imo was pretty bad.

The option of tightening everything up when want is great

Do they always default to comfort mode on start up or does it remember your last setting?

The adaptive dampers are my favourite option, spend all my time in comfort when on the road, the other two settings are too hard in my opinion. Doing a track day tomorrow so looking forward to been able to stiffen up the chassis when needed. It’s the wife’s daily but I get it at the weekends and track days so for me they were essential.

The adaptive dampers are my favourite option, spend all my time in comfort when on the road, the other two settings are too hard in my opinion. Doing a track day tomorrow so looking forward to been able to stiffen up the chassis when needed. It’s the wife’s daily but I get it at the weekends and track days so for me they were essential.

£695 is a complete bargain in comparison for bang for buck over other options - also cheaper than competitors, the VW for example on Golf are £865

£695 is a complete bargain in comparison for bang for buck over other options - also cheaper than competitors, the VW for example on Golf are £865

It wasn't a question of cost for me, I agree they are good value and if I had of been placing a factory order I definitely would have spec'd them.

However I didn't want to wait for a factory order, and in fact didn't have the time as my current car at that time was being returned in 4 weeks.

It wasn't a question of cost for me, I agree they are good value and if I had of been placing a factory order I definitely would have spec'd them.

However I didn't want to wait for a factory order, and in fact didn't have the time as my current car at that time was being returned in 4 weeks.

Yep, seen your position in other posts on this, and fully understand as have done exactly the same myself when placed in same position (took an SLine suspension as it was already on its way, when if ordered from factory would have deleted it) so definitely no criticism, and more aimed at those who have some time and doing their diligence.

Hi all,

New A35 owner here with about 1400 miles on the clock now. Car spec is Mojave Silver Premium Pack. Have come from a Golf R like many others it seems.

First impressions weren't great, Mercedes somehow fitted the car with the black Night Pack Grill on the drivers side of the car and the standard Silver grill on the passenger side.. booked into the dealers in a few weeks to be sorted. Car was also delivered with a small stone chip on the front, again being sorted in the coming weeks.

Good Points:
Overall build quality is much better than the Golf as expected
Better on fuel than the Golf just about
Turns more heads, it looks great and Mojave Silver is a lovely colour
Interior is cracking, albeit the plethora of display options a bit overwhelming at first - so many decisions!
Sounds great and the exhaust continues to open up as the miles increase, the overrun crackles are very addictive
Handles very well and takes corners with ease, brakes are also a big step up

Bad Points:
The A35 feels much slower straight line than the Golf R especially at low revs, seems to take its time to get going and the power is definitely in the high rev range. Have had a play around with my pals Cupra 300 in which on a roll the Golf would just about stick with it, however the Cupra pulls a few car lengths easily on the A35. Once it gets into the high revs however it does pull well.
Perhaps a controversial opinion but IMO the car isn't fast enough to justify the boldness of the aero pack, feel like a bit of a tit with the big wing on the back and beginning to wish I didn't spec it!
The Gearbox is inferior to the Golf's DSG, takes more time to think about things and is not near as instant as the DSG box. Furthermore, if you need to kickdown for a sudden burst of pace or overtake it tends to take so long that the moment passes, it's caught me out a few times.
It takes the crown for the most uncomfortable car I've driven due to a combination of the firm ride, lack of lumbar support and hard seats - I've actually resorted to ordering a lumbar pillow for long drives due to back ache (Not something I thought I'd need at the age of 25!)

Overall I'm pleased with the car and continuing to enjoy it the more I drive it, it's a nice place to be and great to look at. It would be tough for me to choose between the A35 and the Golf R but I think the Mercedes just about edges it due to the brand and build quality etc. The next A45 will certainly be something special.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer.

Agree, except for me the cost would have been £1935 as it would have pushed the VED value over £40K! Hope I don't regret not speccing it ...

I saw a yellow A35 with aero wing yesterday on the M25, stunning car. Number plate W.... something. absolutely gorgeous, definitely better looking than the prev gen A45.

Hi all,

New A35 owner here with about 1400 miles on the clock now. Car spec is Mojave Silver Premium Pack. Have come from a Golf R like many others it seems.

First impressions weren't great, Mercedes somehow fitted the car with the black Night Pack Grill on the drivers side of the car and the standard Silver grill on the passenger side.. booked into the dealers in a few weeks to be sorted. Car was also delivered with a small stone chip on the front, again being sorted in the coming weeks.

Good Points:
Interior is cracking, albeit the plethora of display options a bit overwhelming at first - so many decisions!
Sounds great and the exhaust continues to open up as the miles increase, the overrun crackles are very addictive

Bad Points:
The A35 feels much slower straight line than the Golf R especially at low revs, seems to take its time to get going and the power is definitely in the high rev range. Have had a play around with my pals Cupra 300 in which on a roll the Golf would just about stick with it, however the Cupra pulls a few car lengths easily on the A35. Once it gets into the high revs however it does pull well.
Perhaps a controversial opinion but IMO the car isn't fast enough to justify the boldness of the aero pack, feel like a bit of a tit with the big wing on the back and beginning to wish I didn't spec it!
The Gearbox is inferior to the Golf's DSG, takes more time to think about things and is not near as instant as the DSG box. Furthermore, if you need to kickdown for a sudden burst of pace or overtake it tends to take so long that the moment passes, it's caught me out a few times.
It takes the crown for the most uncomfortable car I've driven due to a combination of the firm ride, lack of lumbar support and hard seats - I've actually resorted to ordering a lumbar pillow for long drives due to back ache (Not something I thought I'd need at the age of 25!)

Overall I'm pleased with the car and continuing to enjoy it the more I drive it, it's a nice place to be and great to look at. It would be tough for me to choose between the A35 and the Golf R but I think the Mercedes just about edges it due to the brand and build quality etc. The next A45 will certainly be something special.

Can you post up some pictures, hardly see any in that silver, specially with the aero pack.. I can still change from mountain grey and that’s like second choice.

I’m coming from a Cupra 300, the engine in that is nothing short of amazing for a 2.0T.. it’s a very fast car (when rolling and in perfect conditions)

I found the A35 pulled nearly as hard high up the revs but lacked a bit very low down, (that was a 700 mile A35 vs a 17k Cupra which may account for the difference) but the bonus of that is it’s fun and worthwhile revving our like a petrol engine should be.

But as an object, the A35 is in a completely different league of awesomeness. I’m really glad I’ve spec ride control!

Hi all,

Good Points:

Bad Points:

I think the A35 feels every bit as quick as my S3 did, around car parks and at low speed at would agree the gearbox is not as good.

My car has lumbar support, but I would agree the seats are not as comfortable as the super sports seat in my S3 were.

Hi all,

Good Points:

Bad Points:

I just went straight to your bad list and kept scrolling and scrolling [emoji22]

Which was your R 300ps 6 speed or facelift 310ps 7 speed ? I’m coming from a facelift running JB4 so will undoubtedly look for a tuning box for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just done my first track day in my A35, absolutely brilliant car, performed better than I thought!
Did the same track in the same weather conditions in my R except it wasn’t standard, lowering springs and JB1, so about 350bhp, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to record the exact same time as the R in the A35 despite being down on power. The chassis is a lot sharper and turn in is superb, as is its ability to change direction, bigger and better brakes also help. The adaptive dampers in sport+ are perfect for track work. It’s also handy being able to see your tyre temps and pressures!
So although in a straight line a standard R may be quicker that’s not what this car is about, get it on a track or a twisty B road and you’ll soon see how brilliant this car is. A proper hot hatch!

4D6672C9-35DB-4CC4-A240-49071DEA0C12.jpeg

Just done my first track day in my A35, absolutely brilliant car, performed better than I thought!
Did the same track in the same weather conditions in my R except it wasn’t standard, lowering springs and JB1, so about 350bhp, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to record the exact same time as the R in the A35 despite being down on power. The chassis is a lot sharper and turn in is superb, as is its ability to change direction, bigger and better brakes also help. The adaptive dampers in sport+ are perfect for track work. It’s also handy being able to see your tyre temps and pressures!
So although in a straight line a standard R may be quicker that’s not what this car is about, get it on a track or a twisty B road and you’ll soon see how brilliant this car is. A proper hot hatch!

View attachment 85318

Ah that’s encouraging [emoji106][emoji106]

Great pic BTW [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that Curborough Kirk88? If so, it's a twisty blighter and hard for anything much bigger than a Caterham Se7en to navigate quickly.

Also, anyone know what "Advanced" Dynamics does? Cheers all ;)
IMG_20190413_122151.jpg

AMG Dynamics is a recent addition to new AMGs and provides an extra layer of control that affects the handling balance of the car. There are ultimately 4 levels of AMG Dynamics setup - Basic, Advanced, Pro and Masters, which just so happen to be the same progression names that are used for the varying AMG Driving Academy (ADA) course levels. The handling balance and responsiveness of the car will move from secure and stable in BASIC through more neutrality in Advanced to a further shift towards more 'dynamic', adjustable handling in PRO. MASTERS is not available on all the cars, but this mode in RWD and 4Matic+ models particularly allows for a more oversteer-lead agility, but requires ESP to be relaxed via SPORT Handling or ESP OFF settings to feel the full effect of Masters. The alignment to the ADA is not without substance, as Masters might reasonably expect the driver to be able to demonstrate high levels of competency when it comes to rapid peddling..... It's subtle stuff, but worth investigating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom