AMG A45 - attempted theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd go as far to say that visible CCTV works as a better deterrent.

If that what makes you feel safer at night then fair enough, but these tend to be targeted attacks by "professional" car thieves and if they're after your car they'll come after it no matter what, they aren't smackheads having a mooch around the neighbourhood looking for stuff to fence for their next tenner bag, these know what they're doing and a visible camera will not be a deterrent, you want to be able to see their faces clearly, not all covered up because they've seen your cameras.

Yes, I admit that this only help after the fact, but there's less obvious ways to put off these people and them making a noise just to get to your front door is one.

A gravel driveway and dog(s) is a great deterrent/alarm system.

CSI have been and apparently there have been a lot of burglaries in the immediate area in the past couple of weeks and it's rife across the town. Next door neighbour noticed their back gate open this morning so maybe they had a look there first. Now just waiting for glazing company to secure the house then I can go out and start buying security stuff. Hard to feel happy keeping the car, part of me just wants rid of it but then they win, right?

Don't let them win fella.
If others have been targeted in the area then maybe your just on the path of these scrotes as they move about after dark.
Some great advice has been mentioned already , but for me its the motion sensor lights that will have the most affect.
You don't want them near your house and if all of a sudden its lit up like a Xmas tree then they will move on.
Get one that chimes as well inside the house so if your curtains are drawn at least you still know something out there is moving.
Don't give in to them.

It is entirely possible that they have had a look next door first. Try and follow the advice above (where practical). They will know that you are now likely to have beefed up security and awareness/expectation. Forewarned is, as they say, forearmed.

It is none the less a very upsetting experience that sticks in the mind and can cause havoc for some time. Try to remain objective and believe that your precautions are effective. Time is great healer.

You need an Autowatch Ghost fitted to the car.

They cant take the car even with the keys, unless they pick it up and carry it away.

Sorry to hear about this PITA!

The problem with protecting your property too well could be that prospectives might wonder what you are trying to protect too.

Don't let them win fella.

I agree but that is a bit of an assumption! :D

I will be getting the outside of the house lit up like a Christmas tree asap. Have one security light already trained on their point of entry but they had moved the sensor. Will get subsequent lights fitted higher up and good idea about the chimes too.

By the way I am female

I have recently purchased and fitted a Ring branded door bell. It acts as a doorbell, intercom and motion triggered cctv camera with cloud recording.

Given that it doesn't look like a cctv camera it is more covert. The recording quality is quite good, it has decent night vision and the app is great!

I will be getting the outside of the house lit up like a Christmas tree asap. Have one security light already trained on their point of entry but they had moved the sensor. Will get subsequent lights fitted higher up and good idea about the chimes too.

By the way I am female

Yikes...
I do apologise.
Should have realised with a name like that...!

Loads of good suggestions on here so far.

Personally, id say that if you get CCTV, make sure it's a cloud based system as well as a local hard drive. Also, for an alarm, I'd recommend getting a monitored alarm. They come with a small monthly payment, but imho, well worth it. Lots of people will hear an alarm and ignore it completely, but a monitored alarm goes direct to the monitoring company who call police.

Lots of companies will visit your property and carry out a security survey (some do this for free!) to let you know where the weaknesses are, and what you can do to beef them up.

You have to remember that if someone wants to get into your house.....they will! All you can do is slow them down and cause them to make as much noise as possible. The best security is as others have said, to make next door look like a more appealing prospect.

If it's at all possible, the gravel drive is a very good idea.

Me personally......no one's coming uninvited into my house without a fight, but as a rule, I'd tell people not to put up a fight, and just hand over what's asked for.

The majority of UPVC doors and windows are sooooooo easy to get into! There's too much flex in the plastic for my liking, and the standard locks are very easy to bump, slip, pick or snap. But saying that, there are some very good UPVC out there.

You can spend countless amounts of money on locks and such, but any point of entry is only as strong as its weakest element. Normally, the weakest aspect of the door is the lock, but if the lock holds, then the next part to give is the door itself. If you have a strong lock and a solid door, the frame will eventually give!

Speak to a professional security company and take their advice :thumb:

Yikes...
I do apologise.
Should have realised with a name like that...!

Post #1 caused me suspicion rather than the name but I take your point. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom