AMG A45 - attempted theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screemer75

Car
AMG A45
Got my A45 in November and have been loving it so far, has warmed up nicely and is great fun to drive.

However I'm now sat at home with a broken kitchen window, been up since 4.30am after some scrote tried to break into my house presumably after the car keys. Police are sure that the car was the target. I sleep well but I'm always alert to noise as my elderly cat regularly gets me up in the night (long story!), and I woke to hear something downstairs. Woke my other half who got up and made his way downstairs shouting to them and then he heard them running away. Police were quick to arrive but not much chance of them getting whoever it was, though they are sending CSI later.

We've owned plenty of fast cars over the years but this is the first time one has been targeted, it's a bit scary to be honest. Wondering if and when they'll be back. Now looking at CCTV, parking posts etc, anything as a deterrent. Just wondered if anyone had any advice/experience?

Yes experienced a nasty burglary. Key thing I've learned is to make your home look less attractive then your neighbours.

But ultimately if they really want it, let them have it and let the insurance part deal with it. The insurance company won't give you any discounts for all those measures. So whilst the initial reaction is totally understandable, I've been there, all you do is inconveniencing yourself.

CCTV is a reasonable deterrent. Parking posts worked well for a mate of mine who lost a couple of Landrovers in a year (the original and the insurance replacement) and certainly would be cheaper than two theft claims!

German Shepherds are also a great option.

I guess the silver lining is that they ran away and didn't attempt to take them by force. Still horrible knwing someone's been in your home while you think you're safe in your bed. I have a locked gate and garage they've got to get through to get at my car and I keep the keys in my bedroom.

All the best, hope they catch the scumbags.

Easy fix, alarm the house and have the downstairs zone active whilst you sleep, sorry to hear your news but at least you are unharmed.

As above, get an alarm and use it every night. CCTV is good but not necessarily a deterrent as the scumbags just cover their faces. I set the alarm downstairs every night and also have the garage door seperately alarmed, secure all opening windows with locks and keep any exterior gates locked, also add security lightin. Make it as awkward as possible.

Easy fix, alarm the house and have the downstairs zone active whilst you sleep, sorry to hear your news but at least you are unharmed.

^^^
This
We had a similar experience a couple of months back, and have now fitted an alarm system for peace of mind. Bought a Yale wireless system from Maplin, easily fitted with basic tools, and does exactly what it says on the tin !

Thanks for the replies, will look into getting an alarm asap. Presume you can get ones that are cat friendly as in won't go off when she's wandering around! Just need to feel like I'm doing something proactive to dissuade the *******s from coming back.

Not so easy when the OP has a cat that roams around at night.

Not so easy when the OP has a cat that roams around at night.

We turn our ground floor alarm on every night and the dog roams free...it doesn't detect pets.

I really can't stress enough that a house alarm is an essential. Technology now is established enough to make these affordable and even off the shelf Yale alarms are as good as any if you don't want it monitored such as ADT. For £200 you can lock down your property with enough motion sensors and door contacts to wake the dead should any one of them trip.

CCTV is now cheap enough to justify with may decent kits coming in around £200 (some even less) that return good quality capture and night vision. Again, I can't understand why more people don't invest for what is a fairly simple job of running wire through outer walls.

I live in a semi-rural village which is quiet and without crime however, one day something will happen and as much as I like my neighbours, I'd rather someone coasted past my house thinking "that's too difficult, the next house along has no security".
My security is subtle in the sense that it doesn't look like a military base but obvious enough to deter anyone (alarms boxes, CCTV cameras with night-vision IR and meaty locks on doors) and with enough sensors on the home and garage to alert to a theft.

Bottom line, don't think that it won't ever happen to you wherever you live.

Firstly. I am glad that you are all okay.

Statistics show that thieves will invariably target the house that presents the lowest opportunity of them getting caught or being confronted. Try and reverse engineer that thought, when deciding how to protect yourself and your property.

Most thieves do not want to risk ANY confrontation and will work out the who has the best way to the lowest risk.

Can you car simply be driven off the drive with keys or is it locked in (Gates or Bollards)?
Are the Keys where they can get to them without getting to you? You do NOT want to risk them coming up the stairs. If they are prepared to do that? they are prepared to be confronted (not good) Remove that thought by leaving the keys downstairs.

Do you have PIR security lighting ad camera's? This is a big deterrent. They know once the lights are on that it is possible that they are connected to an alarm and they may already be on the countdown to getting caught.

Sadly lots of these crimes are committed by individual or aquaintances who have knowledge of the house and you. It very rare that they just walked past and thought "lets steal that high end car". Often Matey, down the pub has told them he is working for guy who has a top motor and keeps his keys in XX and the car can just be driven away. Equally they will say "he has a top motor and it is not easy to nick because xxxxxx"

We live in a rural location and the Police have been doing a good job in warning of the dangers presented, including how these people now use Google Earth as part of their homework, knowing what fields they can drive across to make good their entrance and escape.

If you do go the CCTV route they need to be hidden otherwise the thieves will simply hide their faces, on their own cameras don't really bother the burglars. Also a big deterrent which they don't like is having your drive/entrance gravelled, so you can hear them coming before they even get to your door. Just making it hard for them to even get over the threshold is a start, gates that can be locked of a nighttime, things like that.

One thing you mustn't do though is take your keys to bed with you because if they really want it they will come looking for those keys and I'm sure your family is more important than a lump of metal.

I'd go as far to say that visible CCTV works as a better deterrent. A thief who doesn't know that they're being filmed will still commit the crime, leaving you with the aftermath of destruction, loss of property, potential injury and feeling of violation. Sure, if the police ever catch up with them they'll have a hard time arguing against the footage, but that's not much coldolation when you feel uncomfortable in your own home for months to come.

If you want to do it in the cheap, buy dummy cameras and locate them high enough not the be identified as a dummy. I doubt a thief would want to waste time figuring that out.

Upgrade UPVC cylinders to ABS/Ultion. Upgrade exterior handles to Mile or Hoppe PAS24.
http://www.barnsleylockandsafe.co.uk/Avocet-ABS-MK3-Snap-Secure-Locks/
http://www.securitylocksandhandles.co.uk/mila-handles.html

Fit additional sash locks/anti lift hinges to windows and doors.
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Window-Locks/Sash-Window-Stoppers.html

Fit laminated glass or use security film.
http://www.tintfit.com/shop/security-film?***id=CNGVy8P3_dECFe287QodwWkDbw

Invest in the Autowatch ghost immobilser. Keys, if taken will be useless ;)
http://autowatch.co.uk/products/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

Fit a disklok.
http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?***id=CKSg6q_3_dECFc-87QodHDYPQg

Last edited:
Had the same problem 3 or 4 times last year. Eventually, bought a couple of remote PIR`s, that you can place wherever you want. I had one near the front door, and one near the side door. The front door one triggered when the scrotes had a long stick poking through the letter box, trying to pick up the keys to my other half`s SQ5, but then dropped them onto some empty milk bottles that were stood inside the front door, directly under the letterbox. By which time I was downstairs, lights on, blaring at them through the door to Fook off ! they never came back.

My point, perhaps not well made, is this.

If they are prepared to come into your home? They are prepared for confrontation. You have to have to try and out think that part of the equation from their point of view.

What discourages them from wanting to come in. Locks, Noise, Lights, Camera's, Dogs & fear etc. Anything that adds time to their exploits is more likely to discourage them.

If you lock a three foot high gate, they can jump it on the way in and drive through it on the way out. They can also see what is behind a three foot gate.

Your average "stolen with keys" thief will have most likely have done some research on all of the above.

Think who visits/has visited you. Un-solicited quotes for work are a favourite. Google Earth is also now used in ways that it was never intended to be used.

The prime factor and I would say the only factor is your safety. Cars can be replaced.

Houses that look "difficult to burgle" usually are "difficult to burgle". Thorn bushes under windows are a surprisingly effective deterrent as are big dogs with big teeth. But the biggest deterrent of them all is the fear of getting caught. Having said that I would always advise against, having a go. Not easy when the red mist descends but if they knock you out! They are now, really fired up and they are past the point of caring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom