AMG addiction!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been feeling the addiction today. After much fettling and cleaning, the CLS55 had to be taken for the first proper drive in a while.....

It's easy to forget how savage the torque delivery is. :)

You hoof it, slam back in the seat, knuckles turn white, eyes wide and a deep breath all in the space of mere seconds, there's a brief reprieve as the box heads for 4th and the torque curve drops slightly, then BOOM, it's back in all its mad glory, howling supercharged V8 heading for the horizon. :eek::D:D:D

The noise from the x pipe exhaust is remarkable too...
Still grinning like an idiot hours later. God I love this car so much.......:D

Last edited:
Took my CLS55 down to Morrisons for a bottle of wine. Shopping trip so everything in comfort mode. Just graze the pedal and she's pushing down the slip road to the A38. Cars coming up behind move to right to allow me onto the dual. Don't need the space because as soon as I've worked out where the traffic is I give it about 30% pedal and I'm gone. Bit tricky coming off the roundabout with ESP light and a tail wiggle. Not the right time of year for this engine.

Sorry chaps, didn't you know this is a thread for M156 owners only :D:D

No forced induction garbage on here ;):thumb:

In all fairness it's great to get the thread back on topic :thumb:

These machines are addictive. Keep the stories rolling!!!

I think the NA 6.2 sounds great from the rear, M113k for flyby as you get the howl/whine and then thunder, especially with x pipe etc.
Took my CLS55 down to Morrisons for a bottle of wine. Shopping trip so everything in comfort mode. Just graze the pedal and she's pushing down the slip road to the A38. Cars coming up behind move to right to allow me onto the dual. Don't need the space because as soon as I've worked out where the traffic is I give it about 30% pedal and I'm gone. Bit tricky coming off the roundabout with ESP light and a tail wiggle. Not the right time of year for this engine.

Ah but that wiggle in the haunches and the traction control reigning in the madness are all part of the joy! I'm on fresh tyres mind you, so the old girl is gripping well and shifting like a stabbed rat. :D

The reason I love the sound of the M113K so much (with x pipe it must be said) is that you get that whine/howl from the charger and then the sound of Thor gargling hammers.

It's like a symphony for the apocalypse ...... :eek::D:p

My last e55k I was told was running 565hp pah I thought .....

Boy after I bought a standard 55k I can now we’ll believe it was indeed that figure.

Don’t get me wrong a std m113k is quick but by god with a tcu map, 83mm pulley custom pipes etc etc is just brutal. I did compared brutus to a 6.2 ;) c63 and wen the speed got serious the m113k eat the n/a for lunch. It’s a great tunable strong lump, it’s only failing I would say is the sluggish nature of the box.
M113k alday long until I can afford a m157 ;)

Judging from your posts, you fail to comprehend rather a lot that's said on here. Best not to come unarmed to a battle of wits...

I'll put it in words of one syllable. You like the M156; we get that. So do we, but not as much. Leave it there, eh?

Just graze the pedal and she's pushing down the slip road to the A38. Cars coming up behind move to right to allow me onto the dual. Don't need the space because as soon as I've worked out where the traffic is I give it about 30% pedal and I'm gone.

It's exactly that effortless feel that makes it so addictive; and so risky... Been there, done that, and once you realise what apparently impossibly small gaps in traffic you can get into and through, you just go faster and faster. That's why I sold the E63.

M113k all day long until I can afford a m157 ;)

I think most of us tend to share that opinion.

Judging from your posts, you fail to comprehend rather a lot that's said on here. Best not to come unarmed to a battle of wits...

I'll put it in words of one syllable. You like the M156; we get that. So do we, but not as much. Leave it there, eh?

I'm silly I have a mental block. All because I have a high regard to a particular engine that gets ridiculed all here from people who haven't even owned this engine. Only ever test driven.

Leave nothing nowhere, battle of what. You post in riddles matey!!!!

I do like the M156 I do like the M133k. I like many others. You seem you cant let my liking for the 156 go without sharing your dislike towards it. And me for liking it?

I will leave it here but on my terms because this is very childish on your part......

My last e55k I was told was running 565hp pah I thought .....

Boy after I bought a standard 55k I can now we’ll believe it was indeed that figure.

Don’t get me wrong a std m113k is quick but by god with a tcu map, 83mm pulley custom pipes etc etc is just brutal. I did compared brutus to a 6.2 ;) c63 and wen the speed got serious the m113k eat the n/a for lunch. It’s a great tunable strong lump, it’s only failing I would say is the sluggish nature of the box.
M113k alday long until I can afford a m157 ;)

The modded 55k ate the 6.2 for lunch. Fair play, I suspect there to be a different outcome be it through the Twisties. Also as much as I love the M133k the steering / handerling did also let the car down at times. Especially compared to other performance cars in its class around that era. One or two other things but overall an absolute weapen and on a straight.

happy new year everyone !
All these cars with stunning engines do let themselves down with only a "good" chassis , handling and sluggish transmissions. All 3 engines are brilliant in their own way, but I personally believe that the older model variants are out of their comfort zones on anything other than motorways or straightish roads in stock form (without coilovers etc). They are very comfortable straight line bullets or at least that is my limited experience with them. Hopefully someone who has driven all variants extensively can chime in. Certainly the new brand AMGs now excel in the handling and chassis departments but let themselves down on the comfort front.

the latest and greatest AMGs allow you to slip and slide a whole load more vs the older ones but some may argue the car is driving itself without the need for driver input as there is a lot of advanced tech thrown in. I for one much prefer the overall package of the 4.0tt 205 over the w204 c63 as it is a step up in handling, except not in the sound department which the 6.2 set up sings a thunderous epic tune. Like the supercharged and TT models , the beauty of having torque lower down is great except it isnt if you want to kick down , then it simply isn't at all, and that's where an NA engine comes into it's own and depending where you are in the rev range delivers the relevant torque which is very precise and predictable.

Ultimately each model is compromised. the w212 is way too large for me personally , the older AMGs have epic engines but lack handling finesse. the latest AMGs handle brilliantly but completely lack comfort...

All these cars with stunning engines do let themselves down with only a "good" chassis , handling and sluggish transmissions. All 3 engines are brilliant in their own way, but I personally believe that the older model variants are out of their comfort zones on anything other than motorways or straightish roads in stock form (without coilovers etc). They are very comfortable straight line bullets or at least that is my limited experience with them. Hopefully someone who has driven all variants extensively can chime in. Certainly the new brand AMGs now excel in the handling and chassis departments but let themselves down on the comfort front.

the latest and greatest AMGs allow you to slip and slide a whole load more vs the older ones but some may argue the car is driving itself without the need for driver input as there is a lot of advanced tech thrown in. I for one much prefer the overall package of the 4.0tt 205 over the w204 c63 as it is a step up in handling, except not in the sound department which the 6.2 set up sings a thunderous epic tune. Like the supercharged and TT models , the beauty of having torque lower down is great except it isnt if you want to kick down , then it simply isn't at all, and that's where an NA engine comes into it's own and depending where you are in the rev range delivers the relevant torque which is very precise and predictable.

Ultimately each model is compromised. the w212 is way too large for me personally , the older AMGs have epic engines but lack handling finesse. the latest AMGs handle brilliantly but completely lack comfort...

A great summary there of all the different options available. I doubt no one could have said it better. :thumb:

A great summary there of all the different options available. I doubt no one could have said it better. :thumb:

"No one" could not have said it at all. Perhaps you meant to say 'anyone'; I think that's what we call 'grammer'...

'Twas a quote from an old musical - "My Fair Lady". You will have noted that I was agreeing with you; that probably won't happen often ;)

This thread is very odd.

I'm not sure I quite understand your point on the torque of the forced-induction engines. If you want to kick down, they will do so and deliver even more torque, which I would have said was a good thing; why do you think it is not?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I quite understand your point on the torque of the forced-induction engines. If you want to kick down, they will do so and deliver even more torque, which I would have said was a good thing; why do you think it is not?
it is not always a good thing as too much torque will just get the traction control light lighting up and progress being impeded whereas in an NA set up, there is certainly much less of that in my experience.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
A couple of vids I made last year. Wasn’t hooting it, but they give an idea of the w204 on the twisties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom