Amg Alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Are they polished? chome or what. In other words (probably clearer words) I want to use Wonder wheels can I?

Thanks
Ian

The AMG lips are Diamond cut and laquered NOT polished, unless someone has taken the laquer off to polish them like my rear wheels, it should be safe to use wonder wheels. TBH I woudn't use any chemicals on my alloys unless they havn't been cleaned in yonks.

Ian, to be perfectly safe you might want to consider using Zymols wheel cleaning gel - available from Zymol.co.uk. Okay, its not the cheapest wheel cleaner you can buy (16 odd quid from memory) but I bought it for my Merc as my wheels have slight corrosion on them, mostly thanks to the idiots who used hammer on weights to balance the wheels.

It differs from other cleaners in that it is acid free and won't corrode your wheels. Used with a decent wheel brush mine come up like new when I use it.

Wheels ain't cheap to fix so I thought whats the point in risking the finish?

if you clean your wheels regularly all you need is some luke warm water and a paintbrush. I also keep a chamois just for my alloys too.

If you dont clean your alloys regularly and dont want to risk the finish then bodywork shampoo in warm water with a paintbrush will be fine.

if you have neglected your wheels I reccomend using a wheel cleaner product such as autoglym or wonder wheels, once the cr@p is of you shouldnt need to use it again unless you neglect your wheels again.

when you do 500 miles a week odd, you wheels will become filthy and tar and brake dust does like to weld itself onto the lips and holes of the AMG wheel. i have found wonder wheels geat on the AMG wheels, no probs at all, i used it on my BMW for years without a problem too.

steps i take

- clean the wheels with car shampoo and water
- rinse them
- apply wonder wheels with a small paint brush on the tarred, soiled areas
- leave for 2 minutes, then scrub it off with a wet sponge (normally the same one you washed the car with)
- clean once more with shampood water
- final rinse
- dry the wheels

works everytime!

even after covering 2000 miles, they came up spotless !

need a good clean at the mo as i havent driven the car since the GTG!

Where can I get a pair of 18" monoblocs? I've kerbed one badly and the other looks a bit under par. I mean, for sensible money, not new ones straight from the fatherland.

- Rich

Thanks chaps for that.
Rumour has it you wax your wheels what with KV? I suppose that means long time not so much scrubbing?

Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by Rich
Where can I get a pair of 18" monoblocs? I've kerbed one badly and the other looks a bit under par. I mean, for sensible money, not new ones straight from the fatherland.

- Rich

Not considered getting them reconditioned?

Originally posted by Maz
Not considered getting them reconditioned?

Hadn't thought of that, prob because there's heavy flaking along about a 2" section. The rim ain't broke exactly, so not worried about losing the seal, but looking a bit sad. Not as sad as my bank account tho' if the prices on another thread are typical - £1200 for a pair of 18" amg's w/toyo's. Is this for real?

- Rich

Originally posted by GDC200
a refurb is likely to only cost about £40 per wheel...
More that that I would think, as soon as they hear words like "Mercedes" "AMG" or "18 inch diameter" they will bump it up! I think they will charge £50-60 per wheel, still cheap though.

Originally posted by Rich
Maz - I'm now contacting these people for advice on refurbishing. Didn't realise the amazing technology available to us kerb-whackers! :) :)

Anyone tell me what they're like to deal with?

http://www.nbizz.com/alloywheelrefurbishers.co.uk/

- Rich

my mates ol man works there but there are loads of people whom do refurbs, do a search in the forums and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom