AMG Alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One final point, I thought all this alloy wheel business was about having less unsprung weight rather than more. How come your AMGs weigh more?

Most road alloys are heavier than steels a similar size these days, race car alloys have a high magnesium content and ARE a lot lighter, but they corrode really badly and have to be looked after carefully, alloys have to be a lot thicker than steels due to there tendanacy to snap rather than bend so they are made stronger for safety reasons. Mine are obviosult bigger and wider than the steels they replaced so the tyres also weigh more even though they are lower profile.

Glad you approve of the car, its a work in progress but most of the hard work is now done and i'm left with tidying the blisters on the panels so i can get her painted and looking lovely again. She's a 280ce by the way.

Bit off-topic, really, aside from alloy wheels!

Yes, I recall snow misery on Continental summer tyres in snow - 124 coupé this time (see attached).

Quote, "We're going to die" (my wife). Me, "Not at 20 kph, we're not".

Mercs are hopeless in snow. Even our German friend with his later estate with winter tyres agreed. Auntie with Peugeot 206 with winter tyres was driving as normal. My foot was pressed to the floor each time she approached a 'T'-junction.

However, I remember doing likewise with summer tyres in the old 114 series 280CE and it was bad (especially with stunning East Berlin hangover - those were the days!) but not as bad as the 124 with ASR.

Happy days!

RayH

Attachments

• Misery1.jpg
    Misery1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom