AMG badge......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry guys been a bit too busy today to carry on winding up the AMG fraternity;-).

So, well spotted the SL63 you posted is silver and sl500 black and one has roof up the other down, the sl63 wheels posted are not standard so side by side if you post a stock sl63 alongside a sl500, badging aside they are pretty much identical.

I have already stated brake decals different, again badging.

Suspension and centre console identical to SL500 specced with active suspension, it was the active suspension that stopped me buying an SL63 as it is not optional and all it's reliability issues are well documented on here.

SL500 has the same traffic light performance without tuning short of 0.2 seconds to 60mph. Mid range performance from 60 to 70 I suspect may be quicker with the SL63, unfortunately 70 is the legal max on roads in UK, so "mid range" as you put it after 60mph is pretty much inconsequential.

The fact is unlike the rest of the Mercedes range the SL AMG fails to warrant the price tag based on performance over the SL500.

The 500 has the 4.7l twin turbo found in other AMGs, the SL63 has 5.5l which makes the 4.1 second 0-60 performance figures for the amg version so disappointing.

If someone can find me an SL63 without active suspension I will buy it, as pointed out by others money is not really the issue here and as pointed out I love the AMG sound.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
f20aa4272e65250369c2dcdb954f64d9.jpg

SL, you seem to be answering several people in one post so I’ll pick what I believe is addressed to me.

1. Brakes. Again, they are not the same. Your car uses 360mm front rotors. 63 uses 390. Same story with the rears. All callipers are different too.

2. AMG has traditionally used soft (and very welcoming) nappa leather. Not your 500 (think sanding paper for comparison).

3. No AMG I know of uses 4.7L TT engine. 63s of that era are all M157 5.5L TT.

4. Speed. It sounds ironic that with no plans of going over 70mph (and bar the 63 AMG) you bought the most powerful SL in the Mercedes lineup. If you want to stretch your car’s legs you can join other members to multiple drag/race tracks. This is why most people buy them in my opinion (other than to show off of course).

5. Your side picture if your car being ‘identical’ to a 63 is about as accurate as the statement that all cars have 4 wheels and thus are the same. I’d say the closest you can come is if you took a shot looking from top down (roof closed of course).

Much love.

I have a nice red toolchest and roller cab. Bought them from Machine Mart a couple of years ago, they're really good quality and I'm very pleased with them. Inside there are lots of tools (some of which are Snap-On that I've had since the 70's), but in the main they are a collection of all sorts with lots of them in my possession again since the 70's. I was thinking of putting some Snap-On badges on the toolbox so as to upgrade the toolbox and by inference the rest of the tools inside. They wouldn't actually be Snap-On of course, but they'd be so close nobody would know. After a while, I might even think them as being Snap-On myself...

Coincidence or what - I saw one of these today !

Needs an AMG badge to be complete.

Needs an AMG badge to be complete.

Don't you mean an GAM badge ..? :p

Did you hear the one about the Dyslexic Pimp who bought a disused warehouse because he couldn't believe how cheap it was...?

Ill get my coat ..:rolleyes:

I've got a new neighbour who has a couple of cars one of which looks like a Golf GTI from the front and a 2.0TDI from the back.

Unfortunately it turns out to be a 2.0 TDI that's been fitted with a GTI front end.

FAIL.

I think far too much energy is wasted over this topic, if people want to put a badge on then who's it hurting? JMHO
Do you have one ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom