Is it OK to put AMG badging on a non-AMG car?

• No. AMG badges are for genuine AMG cars

Votes: 472 75.8%
  • Yes. Fine to add one to any Mercedes

Votes: 32 5.1%
  • Maybe. OK if it has AMG wheels fitted (for example)

Votes: 119 19.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
OK this topic crops up all the time, so I thought a quick poll would be interesting!

So ... is it OK to put AMG badges on a non-AMG model?

If the owner has paid for a full AMG bodykit then why not.....

Before AMG was owned by Mercedes you could have as little or as much as you wanted....

The only time I find it looks odd is when added to a car that has no modifications whatsoever....

Personally I don't like any badges at all, I like clean lines.

Older cars muddy the waters a bit.

I was really talking about the situation where a genuine AMG version of that model exists, but the car in question isn't one ;)

Personally i wouldn`t do it, saying that my new car (CL500) does have AMG badge on the back. I will leave it there only as i don`t want to risk paint damage trying to remove it.
When i had my Skyline i always saw the GTS boys with GTR badges and to be honest i just thought it was a bit sad trying to make a car look like something it isn`t.

Bob

The paint won't come off ..... don't kid yourself .... ;)

Do the right thing ....

TAKE IT OFF !!!

Well, personally, no. But does that mean for example, one can't/shouldn't place the Bilstein badge on ones vehicle after fitting Bilstein suspension? As the car is not a "Bilstein". If you have paid good money for AMG parts on your car and feel they make a difference, then why not...........

Older cars muddy the waters a bit.

I was really talking about the situation where a genuine AMG version of that model exists, but the car in question isn't one ;)

So you order a new 2009 CLK350 sport with full AMG bodykit and wheels and you don't think it's right that the owner should put an AMG badge on the car despite probably spending upwards of £6000 on AMG parts?

It isn't a badge of exclusivity, it's a marketing tool and used very well indeed.

But to suggest no badges should be used on anything other a factory vehicle is really just badge snobbery IMO of course.

I will leave it there only as i don`t want to risk paint damage trying to remove it.

The only risk is on an old car with dark coloured paint where the rest of the car might have faded slightly (and the paint under the badge hasn't).

Otherwise it's a simple 5 minute job to remove with a hairdryer and some dental floss - plenty of threads on this. I took all the badging off the back of my brand new Vito.

if you have a standard car (no amg bodykit/wheels) then i say NO

if you have the wheels and a body kit, then i say YES its fine to put an AMG badge on.

But i have a genuine AMG Canoe and wheel trims!!!

attachment.php

Only if it is an AMG or has full AMG styling.

So you order a new 2009 CLK350 sport with full AMG bodykit and wheels and you don't think it's right that the owner should put an AMG badge on the car despite probably spending upwards of £6000 on AMG parts?

Personally, no. It's a CLK350 with nice wheels, not a CLK55 or 63.

AMG engine is the primary piece, as that's what most badges refer to.

Other than that i dont think i'd badge mine up, even if i had wheels/body-kit etc.

Not too fussed what other people do though, want a lambo badge on your 1.1 Corsa, fine by me... doesnt make it any faster! :)

Back in the w124 days the AMG was a independent tuning company. It was the same as Carat, Lorinser or Brabus. As far as I know Brabus and AMG had engine upgrades available for the w124 but Lorinser and Carat did not.
So does this mean someone who spends £3.5k for carat bumpers and wheels can proudly wear the carat badge, as they have everything the tuner has to offer. But If you spent £4k on a AMG kit, then went for 3piece wheels @ almost £1k each, giving you a £8k spend at AMG, but you declined the £8-10k more for the engine work, your wrong to leave the badge that AMG would have put on your car?
Just something to think about.

But it's not claiming to be a 55 or 63.

It doesn't have the increased performance of an AMG though. Just the cosmetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom