Is it OK to put AMG badging on a non-AMG car?

• No. AMG badges are for genuine AMG cars

Votes: 472 75.8%
  • Yes. Fine to add one to any Mercedes

Votes: 32 5.1%
  • Maybe. OK if it has AMG wheels fitted (for example)

Votes: 119 19.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went into my local stealers yesterday and they have the new A class which looked nice, sporting AMG badges, then the bubble burst the salesperson quietly said its not a proper AMG it's AMG design.

It's already happened, they will have Ferrari badges on Fiats soon..... Oh wait !!

AMG is in danger of becoming Mercedes' Burberry.

It's a short term marketing strategy. It will perhaps sell more cars now as the AMG badge is a lure but as it gets used more frequently and dilutes its connotations then the appeal and sales advantage will be lost. I could see it hurting them 10years down the line.

I could see it hurting them 10years down the line.

Perhaps not. Take BMW's M Sport vs ///M cars, they both do well, one for aesthetics and the other a true driver's car. Maybe AMG will work harder to make them even better underneath.

I think the fake AMG badge would go well with my comb-over and built up shoes.

Are 'AMG design' cars purely cosmetic?

THe only real difference for "proper" AMG is where and how the engine is assembled.

And that's not 100% in the past.

Those who know, know. Those who don't know, don't care:)

THe only real difference for "proper" AMG is where and how the engine is assembled.

And that's not 100% in the past.

So the AMG design models have the AMG flared wheel arches, wide track, body kit, wheels and all the AMG suspension gubbins as well? If thats the case and the only real difference is the engine then that AMG design badge stands for quite a bit.

So the AMG design models have the AMG flared wheel arches, wide track, body kit, wheels and all the AMG suspension gubbins as well? If thats the case and the only real difference is the engine then that AMG design badge stands for quite a bit.

I guess I meant they are all assembled on the same factory lines with some different bits (but that's not different to many cars) but the engine is really not the same. They are assembled by one man in a different factory to the other engines.
Of course some of the parts are unique (wide arches etc) but still comes down the same line.
I worked at Bremen when the CLK Black Series was made. Same line as the CLK coupe and cabrio.

RWDpetrol referred to M sport being successful for BMW. BMW are known for being sporty and so the M sport line up with sporty suspension, big wheel etc setup is something they can pull off. Mercedes have always been known to trail in BMW wake, so if this 'AMG design' is purely cosmetic and does not offer a BMW rivalling drive then I can see it hurting the AMG brand 10 years down the line by making a mockery of it.

But how does M Sport / Mxxx / M Cars work though?
Similarly AMG Sport / Engineered by AMG / AMG (proper)

Personally I think positives are getting people to aspire to AMG (proper) cars and brand recognition.
Negatives are diluting the brand slightly plus the 700 million (approx) posts on this forum in the coming years of "spotted on ebay - man passing off AMG Sport as AMG". Trust me, I know. I was in the Alpina register... I mean Alpina Police.

Not in the context of which that quote was taken. The previous sentence referring to BMW offering a sportier drive.

But how does M Sport / Mxxx / M Cars work though?
Similarly AMG Sport / Engineered by AMG / AMG (proper)

Sorry, not sure I understand the question. How does it work literally, e.g. what does each one offer, or how does the marketing/promoting etc work, e.g. BMW are known for being sporty and therefore an M sport, non M car works because it is inherently sporty from the off and therefore passable for having M badges on it?

Sorry, not sure I understand the question. How does it work literally, e.g. what does each one offer, or how does the marketing/promoting etc work, e.g. BMW are known for being sporty and therefore an M sport, non M car works because it is inherently sporty from the off and therefore passable for having M badges on it?

I guess I mean which niche are they chasing

3 versions of M Sport now and 3 versions of AMG

125i M Sport etc
M135i etc
M3 etc

A250 AMG Sport
A250 Engineered by AMG
A45AMG

I understand what they represent - I guess I was just expressing the increase in varieties.

Im not sure. Its just going to confuse people, which is why I think it will hurt the brand. Soon every Mercedes will be AMG something, losing the marketing advantage that it currently offers. BMW did well with the M sports and I could understand and except that but I think that they are in danger of losing the M brand recognition as well.

See a lovely SL 500 in black today but why the AMG badge ??

Driving home from work today I see a lovey SL 500 in black but why the AMG badge there is not a SL500 AMG so why would you put it on ,,it's a great car anyway

Don't mention AMG on this forum.......it will turn into another nightmare thread and closed :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom