AMG C36 W202 ENGINE INTO E220 W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael77

Car
Mercedes E220 W124
Good evening all.
I'm new on this site so please be gentle with me .
I have a Mercedes E220 W124 RHD manual 5 speed on a 51 plate - 2001 which has only covered 61,000 miles from new.
I am now thinking of putting either a W124 E320 engine in it or a W202 C36 engine.
What do you guys recommend & how difficult is this to do?
I'm shopping around for an engine at the moment so what would I also need included with the engine?
All information would be most appreciated as this would be a Grandfather, Father & Son project.
Making memories

Engine will fit but the wiring will likely be completely different, as will the gearbox and rear end. Not impossible but rarely worth it when E320's are readily available.

Engine will fit but the wiring will likely be completely different, as will the gearbox and rear end. Not impossible but rarely worth it when E320's are readily available.
So what di you think is needed to put a E320 engine in?
ECU?
Wiring loom?
Manual transmission?
Suspension ect....

So what di you think is needed to put a E320 engine in?
ECU?
Wiring loom?
Manual transmission?
Suspension ect....

Radiator, fan, air cleaner housing , speedo calibration, rev counter calibration , ignition unit etc. The smart money would be to buy an E320 complete parts car and swap over everything that has a different part # to what you have. Then at the end of it, you'll be able to get to 20mph quicker as there are speed cameras everywhere :)

As the e220 has a early m111 engine I personally would look at swapping for a m111 2.3k engine. Wiring is likely to be similar, engine mounts the same and more likely to find a manual donor car.

Radiator, fan, air cleaner housing , speedo calibration, rev counter calibration , ignition unit etc. The smart money would be to buy an E320 complete parts car and swap over everything that has a different part # to what you have. Then at the end of it, you'll be able to get to 20mph quicker as there are speed cameras everywhere :)
Thank you I'll buy a complete E320 and swap everything over , then once completed get it checked by VOSA. That way it will be the only Mercedes E320 W124 Saloon on a 51 plate.

Thank you I'll buy a complete E320 and swap everything over , then once completed get it checked by VOSA. That way it will be the only Mercedes E320 W124 Saloon on a 51 plate.
As the e220 has a early m111 engine I personally would look at swapping for a m111 2.3k engine. Wiring is likely to be similar, engine mounts the same and more likely to find a manual donor car.
Would like something with a bit more umff, if we start with the 3.2 then we can enhance performance. We have got a rare E300 manual box from a W210 which should be fit onto the 3 2 lump

my opinion is if you going to use a m104 from a c36 you ruining a perfectly good car I'd rather restore the C36 or if you fitting a m104 from a w124 320 as said is absolutely pointless as the m112 is ready available and a lot more reliable.

I hope it helped.

my opinion is if you going to use a m104 from a c36 you ruining a perfectly good car I'd rather restore the C36 or if you fitting a m104 from a w124 320 as said is absolutely pointless as the m112 is ready available and a lot more reliable.

I hope it helped.
Thanking you kindly

did you go ahead with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom