AMG CLS55 quick question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Got a pal considering the above looking at 2006 -2008 vintage. Thing is he does 30k miles a year. Any issues apart from the fuel expense which in his case will go down as he is running a full fat range rover V8

Do these cars engines take big mileages. Any weak points to look out for?

Any pointers most appreciated and thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not.

TIA

Having owned a 2005 plate CLS for almost 3 years, I have had 1st hand experience on some issues.
The airmatic should be thoroughly checked selecting all the modes making sure it rises and lowers as it should. Arnott do replacement units for around £1k a leg for the front.
Parking sensors - again prone to failure (mine have been anyway)
Dynamic seats - again check to see if they function correctly, inflate/deflate as they should.
Oil leaks - gasket between the crankshaft (think thats what its is) and gearbox seems to be quite common on higher mileage/older cars, although cheap for the gasket, labour intensive job.
Wheels - the OE AMG III wheels seem to be made of butter and cracks seem to be common place.
Mine has 92k miles on it, and despite some of heavy costs I have incurred replacing parts etc, I cannot part with it, its quite simply the best car I have owned.

The 55 was only made for eighteen months, became the 63 mid 2006.

Excellent cars if looked after. As Abbs has stated above. Check battery/alternator plus all joints/ suspension etc. The Cls 55 AMG is an awesome car which will make any owner very happy when driving it imo. Also see if ic pump has been replaced as these are a weak point too.

My CL currently has about 126,000 miles on it, of which 26,000 were done by me.

So far, the only issues I've had with the engine are leaking rocket cover gaskets, which were replaced around 101,000 miles, and the supercharger belt tensioner and idler which were both worn and replaced about a month ago.

Other than those issues, the only thing I can think of is that it seems to like about a litre of oil every 2,000 miles but that may be a consequence of working it fairly hard.

When I visited Affalterbach I was told they've had examples of the M113K run to over 300,000 miles without major issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom