AMG Engine Quality Control?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SUPERNOVA1a

Car
Mercedes S63 BiTurbo 2012. LEXUS LS400. JENSEN INTERCEPTOR Mk3 8.2
Another car with a "Hand built AMG engine" which shows oil leaks. Considering that the emphasis that is put on the the Hand Built sales pitch and the sheer number of AMG engines built, I would have thought that the quality control would have been better. Nearly half the cars that I have looked at with AMG engines seem to have oil leaks. Is this norm or am I just finding leaky cars.

Hello,

I find it hard to pass a comment (useful or not) without further information such as the age and mileage of the AMG power plants you are looking at.

Do you have some more info?

Another car with a "Hand built AMG engine" which shows oil leaks. Considering that the emphasis that is put on the the Hand Built sales pitch and the sheer number of AMG engines built, I would have thought that the quality control would have been better. Nearly half the cars that I have looked at with AMG engines seem to have oil leaks. Is this norm or am I just finding leaky cars.

A mass produced engine built by robots will be better put together than a mass produced engine built by hand, however AMG engines aren't built by hand and so I doubt that applies here. Unless you're looking at Zondas?

If they are older units I guess it's to be expected?

'Hand'built doesn't mean it won't wear out or need maintaining.

A mass produced engine built by robots will be better put together than a mass produced engine built by hand, however AMG engines aren't built by hand and so I doubt that applies here. Unless you're looking at Zondas?

Yes, that reminded me of the old FIAT FIRE engine (Fully Integrated Robotised Engine) - was built to perfection by robots at the factory. Only problem was that as soon as it was pulled apart and put back together by a human it turned into a bag of mush.

A bit like the K series engine used by Rover, as I remember the 'head' bolts went right thru down to hold the sump pan on. Meaning the cover, head, cylinder, block and sump squeezed together in a sandwich by loooong bolts, which was fine until it was taken apart for whatever reason as it would never go back quite the same way.

My C55 engine was put together by some German bloke who's name I can't quite decipher from the engine cover some 11 years and 120000 miles ago, nothing has fallen off (yet !) but there was a tiny oil weep on one of the cam cover gaskets that I was aware of when I bought it . I was also aware that this was a common 'fault' with this engine at around 50000 miles (no idea why-materials maybe ? ) . Either way it would not of been a real problem if the engine wasn't a V8 as the drop of oil that came out every couple of months or so went straight onto the hot manifold causing a bit of a stink. On an inline engine it would have gone unnoticed.

Yep, mine has the usual leaks from the breather covers on the rocker covers. They use a liquid gasket...why?

The vast amount or torque and accompanying heat cycles, flexing, stressing etc means that 'leaks' are an inevitable consequence. If you really like such thing. Take a look on the floor in Ferrari Dealership. They have some beautifully crafted drip trays under the nice shiny new cars.

It must be a bit like finding out that your pack of "Handmade Kettle Chips" are just crisps made at a big factory somewhere in Yorkshire.

Scott_F said:
It must be a bit like finding out that your pack of "Handmade Kettle Chips" are just crisps made at a big factory somewhere in Yorkshire.
Dear God

Next thing, you'll be trying to tell us Mr Kipling doesn't bake cakes in his kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

AMG engines are assembled mostly by hand.

But, the parts are made by machine. In the same way that Ikea parts are made by machine...but assembled by hand.

Despite what the marketing materials say, AMG engines aren't really assembled by hand, except for a tiny number of racing and Zonda engines. There must be videos on YouTube which show the engine shop which show the build process.

Whilst there are both men and ladies heavily involved in building the engine, they put together sub-assemblies produced elsewhere and shipped to engine shop for final assembly, using semi-automated robotics.

It's very impressive. But they're not hand built. Nor would I want them to be.

A real V8 AMG engine assembled in Bremen takes one working day to put together. all of the bits are obviously pre assembled/machined.
The pistons arrive with conrods attached and rings installed etc.

Just a big meccano kit assembled mostly by one person. Obviously many other people and machines were involved in the making of the engine.

A marketing ploy ? possibly, but some people prefer their Mercedes Benz to be built in Germany rather than in South Africa.

Just as some people prefer to buy a Honda or Nissan built in the UK rather than Mexico.

I have had three AMG V8 engines. W210, sold at 80,000 miles, W211 sold at 158,000 miles & W212 30,000 miles so far.

None of them weeped or leaked oil. All were garaged, none of them dropped a drip on the floor during my tenure.

Did they / do they use oil between services, yes but modestly and I would say within tolerance.

From my perspective I am at odds with Supernova1a comments.

Regards

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom