AMG Exhaust sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 Supercharger

Car
W221 S600 V12 Bi-Turbo
Hello all

Iv been away for a little while, and unfortunately as the name suggests i have sold my S55 Kompressor.

So im not in an AMG anymore, however one of the main reasons i bought the S55 was for that AMG note from the exhaust.

Now this may be a silly question, but where exactly is that noise coming from? The back boxes, the engine, the X or the H pipe, the middle boxes . . . . . . or a combination of a few of these things? Im guessing the back boxes have a large part to play, but i could be wrong.

Iv heard of a few people putting on C63 back boxes onto E55's for example, im assuming its more for the sound rather than the performance?

Thanks for the input

Which s class was yours? Was it the one on eBay for around 11k?

No, mine went through a private sale to someone in Birmingham. I never advertised it.

Are you wanting to achieve a similar sound the 55 makes or is it just on a knowledge front you are after?

Achieve the similiar sound to be honest. I know its not going to be 100%, but its better than any custom made exhaust can do. I just dont know which bits i need?

Iv seen and heard a few on YouTube but the people dont put on too much info as to what they have done. Iv also heard a lot of custom made exhausts and while they make the car sound deep/bass/rumble/growl/beast etc etc, nothing even remotely comes close to AMG.

I had the back box baffles on my SL500 stripped out and larger through bore pipes fitted, it increased the sound nicely - not sure if it sounded AMG completely but at least it sounded like a V8 which it didn’t do before, it was too tame. Also increased the hp a little as a side benefit.
Done by Cybox in Bromborough,Wirral.
They took a few hours to do which means you could come down from Leeds and back same day by appointment

I’ve had a few exhaust options on my E55k.

If I was to start again I’d do headers remove primary cats and c63 boxes think this would be the most liveable and sound good.

I’ve had a few exhaust options on my E55k.

If I was to start again I’d do headers remove primary cats and c63 boxes think this would be the most liveable and sound good.

On my S55 i had the rear cats removed, middle boxes removed and the X-pipe done. Went a little louder and gave it an even throatier rumble, was very nice and liveable. The next step was to do the headers and remove the front cats as well.

Iv got two friends on here, one with an SL55 and the other with a CL55. Both the Kompressor engines. They've both done the headers, removed all the cats and the rest is pretty much straight through on both cars.

When either of them start up in the morning your not only waking the neighbours up, but the entire neighbourhood up as well. For me personally, i couldnt live with that much noise.

But you see the thing with yours would be this, what would you be trying to achieve with the C63 boxes? The sound, or are is there much of a performance gain that i might have missed out on?

Thanks

On my S55 i had the rear cats removed, middle boxes removed and the X-pipe done. Went a little louder and gave it an even throatier rumble, was very nice and liveable. The next step was to do the headers and remove the front cats as well.

Iv got two friends on here, one with an SL55 and the other with a CL55. Both the Kompressor engines. They've both done the headers, removed all the cats and the rest is pretty much straight through on both cars.

When either of them start up in the morning your not only waking the neighbours up, but the entire neighbourhood up as well. For me personally, i couldnt live with that much noise.

But you see the thing with yours would be this, what would you be trying to achieve with the C63 boxes? The sound, or are is there much of a performance gain that i might have missed out on?

Thanks

Mine is straight piped with headers to c63 boxes it’s ridiculously loud. In fact I’d challenge anyone to find a louder 55 in the uk.

The c63 boxes are purely for noise it changes it into having a bark rather than a soft v8 noise. Also using boxes gets rid of the drone you get with no mufflers.

I had the back box baffles on my SL500 stripped out and larger through bore pipes fitted, it increased the sound nicely - not sure if it sounded AMG completely but at least it sounded like a V8 which it didn’t do before, it was too tame. Also increased the hp a little as a side benefit.

A few people have suggested this route, but mine is way to quite to start with and i dont think thats going to make a massive difference. But thanks for the advice.

Mine is straight piped with headers to c63 boxes it’s ridiculously loud. In fact I’d challenge anyone to find a louder 55 in the uk.

The c63 boxes are purely for noise it changes it into having a bark rather than a soft v8 noise. Also using boxes gets rid of the drone you get with no mufflers.

There we are, this is the info i was looking for. So with the C63 boxes, id assume it now sounds more like a C63 than an E55?

And i think im only going to get the back boxes done, to get that deep AMG sound. Anything else might make it a bit too loud.

(Well . . . . . . maybe get rid of the mufflers . . . . . and maybe the cats while im at it :rolleyes: )

There we are, this is the info i was looking for. So with the C63 boxes, id assume it now sounds more like a C63 than an E55?

And i think im only going to get the back boxes done, to get that deep AMG sound. Anything else might make it a bit too loud.

(Well . . . . . . maybe get rid of the mufflers . . . . . and maybe the cats while im at it :rolleyes: )

If you take out secondary cat only and add c63 boxes it will be a nice sound.

If you take out secondary cats and res and add c63 boxes it will be loud like a decatted c63

If you do everything it’s insane.

If you have Instagram is loads of videos on there of mine

I wouldnt remove everything, that would not only be insane (like my friends SL55 and CL55) but i couldnt live with it on an everyday basis. This ones not really that kind of a car to be honest.

I think im going to start with only the back boxes and see where that goes. C63 boxes wont fit, but i think E63/S63/S65 boxes should fit.

How do i find you on Instagram, what name?

Thanks

I wouldnt remove everything, that would not only be insane (like my friends SL55 and CL55) but i couldnt live with it on an everyday basis. This ones not really that kind of a car to be honest.

I think im going to start with only the back boxes and see where that goes. C63 boxes wont fit, but i think E63/S63/S65 boxes should fit.

How do i find you on Instagram, what name?

Thanks

sorry its @jamtran1986

CLS 55 boxes have a nice sound to them if you can find them

so what car are we talking about if you have sold your s55K??? Perhaps I missed something!

C63 boxes will fit but will need adjusting/modifying to have them fit the e55. It all depends what noise sound you can live with. I had the the straight pipes before I had the c boxes fitted was a nasty sound beastly but just unbearable at low rpm around 1.600 was a nasty drone. That's with cats and resonator in place. 63 boxes which I have on the car now is fantastic noise/ sound brings the v8 to life. I'm not sure if I want to change mine now I:e cat delete resonator delete for x pipe unsure if it will bring back any unwanted drone which really really pisses me off. So all in all it bit trial error situation to suit what you require overall. There are different exhaust on the market which sound fantastic it my opinion but again didn't want to part with such amounts of money to achieve this. For an everyday car I wouldn't go straight pipes but if a fun car for special days out so forth I would as i think sounds brutal but if it's family bus everyday car not so.

so what car are we talking about if you have sold your s55K??? Perhaps I missed something!

Sorry, it was actually me who missed something. In all this talk of exhausts and sounds, i forgot to mention the car that i was trying to actually achieve all this on. :oops:

Its a (W221) 2008 S600 . . . . V12 Bi-Turbo.

All the power is there, but none of the sound. Its quiter than my Mrs' 1.4 Toyota Corrolla. Something needs to be done.

But iv heard a few YouTubers who have fitted their S600's with exhaust mods to make them sound like F1 cars. Firstly, its not a very good sound for this type of car, and secondely, it sounds nothing like an F1 car.

Having gone from a 55k to a V12 Bi-Turbo in SL form and back again, my advice would be to give your Mrs' the keys and get her to floor it like she stole it whilst your stood on the roadside, sat cocooned in an S class your not going to hear much inside.

Roof down driving was always an aural delight in the SL and that was a stock exhaust system. The US forum recommends a muffler delete on the SL version so not sure about the S class

Having gone from a 55k to a V12 Bi-Turbo in SL form and back again, my advice would be to give your Mrs' the keys and get her to floor it like she stole it whilst your stood on the roadside, sat cocooned in an S class your not going to hear much inside.

That would put it straight into the nearest wall or lampost! :rolleyes:

Dont get me wrong, its not completely silent, but it certainly doesnt make the best of a V12. Iv only had it a month, so not really had a chance to put the window down and give it some beans, maybe that might be a bit different.

The muffler (which im assuming is what we call the back box?) delete certainly makes it louder, but not with the sound i want.

These are all W221 S600's with muffler deletes, maybe its just me but they are either too loud or sound plain wrong.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom