AMG Factory Visit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
I've managed to arrange a factory visit to AMG in Affalterbach in early March - it's a personal tour of the place for me and the missus which was free of charge once I gave them my VIN number confirming I owned one! Not bad service I'd say and I can't wait!!! :D

I searched online for ages trying to get some information on how to book such a visit as I knew from what I read that they took place. However, I couldn't find anything relating to this on the web so I emailed AMG from their international site and got a response the next day confirming everything I needed. After emailing them it was the easiest thing to arrange!

Has anyone else done this visit and is there anything specific I should aim to do or look out for?

I'm doing this as part of a week-long European trip which will see an overnight ferry from Hull to Hook of Holland and then onto Stuttgart as the first stop for 2 nights.

This will be followed by 1 night in Lake Lucerne in Switzerland, then a long drive to spend a further 2 nights in Monte Carlo (that will be a long drive but I'm making sure I drive on the famous Col de Turini on the way there;)). The Monte Carlo bit is to keep my girlfriend happy on an otherwise car-themed 'holiday'!

Then, I'll be making the trip back up to spend 2 nights in Geneva where I'll pop in to see the Geneva Motorshow. Finally, I'll be doing Geneva to Calais in one hit to get the ferry back to the UK!

I can't wait for this (8 weeks and counting!) and if anyone wants to suggest any great driving roads that they know I could drive on during this trip then please tell me!

I like to go there the coming summer or so.Some of the guys been there and AMG owner or not,it`s a must visit place.

Seconded

Say hello to Roland for us.

Hi,
I had heard that if you gave them your VIN number from an AMG you got VIP treatment, have been intending to do this, so i,m extremely envious, and will maybe arrange something later in the year for myself (and the complaining girlfriend).
Will be extremely interested in how you get on, don,t forget to take some pics.

On the trip back from Geneva, you could head for Gex then over the Col de la Faucille then pick up the N5 past Morez and Champagnole and join the Autoroute network just west of Poligny. There are loads of other great roads in the Jura, but I doubt you'll have time on that drive.

The D971 heading north-west out of Dijon up to Troyes is a great flowing road too, and won't add that much time ;)

I'm so jealous...and you get to take your missus and your girlfriend...jammy...:D:D

Very nice you will love it, the chap that showed me around was Dino. Very very friendly and helpfull, they even give you a goody bag too. :thumb:

You will notice that it's in the middle of a small out of the way village with the factory stuck on the end of a very ordinary industrial estate which to me seemed strange, all this technology in somewhere out of the middle ages...:D

Have a great time.

Mark.

On the trip back from Geneva, you could head for Gex then over the Col de la Faucille then pick up the N5 past Morez and Champagnole and join the Autoroute network just west of Poligny. There are loads of other great roads in the Jura, but I doubt you'll have time on that drive.

The D971 heading north-west out of Dijon up to Troyes is a great flowing road too, and won't add that much time ;)

Thank you very much for this - I'm going to check out the route now!

Thank you very much for this - I'm going to check out the route now!
According to Garmin's MapSource, assuming you're starting from the centre of Geneva, the quickest route is 466 miles and 7hrs 40mins driving time to Calais docks. Taking in the Faucille but not the D971 will add about 15 mins and no distance; taking the D971 but not the Faucille will add about an hour to the drive time but will reduce the distance by about 8 miles.

Personally, I'd definitely do the D971 as it's a favourite of mine. There are a number of villages that you need to keep the speed down as you travel through and be vigilant if you're intent on moving at warp speed as the Gendarmes do set up speed traps, but this road is lots of fun either on a bike or in a car. It has fast flowing stretches, tight hairpins, blind bends that tighten ( :eek: ) and many changes of elevation plus some pretty good scenery too, especially the bits that run alongside the Seine. I'd do the Faucille if the weather's OK, but in early March you may well have problems with that on even the lower Cols like this.

If you want any more ideas about Cols or Passes to drive, then this site is a great resource. It also has links to official sites that will tell you the current status of each of the passes which will be useful just before you set off.

Last edited:
I did the AMG visit about 3 years ago - and yes you get VIP treatment if you are a current or former AMG owner.

It's brilliant - I actually met the guy who built my engine (it does happen apparently).

One tip - eat at the restaurant owned by one of the founders - it's now a show stable, and they have a particularly nice place to eat overlooking the grounds. It's only 3 minutes down the road. I'm sure the AMG people will book it for you.

Look out for some of the special cars built as one off's for various people - some are quite amazing (in both colour combinations and what they have done!). And also keep an eye out for forthcoming AMG models being tested - they are normally parked up quite openly - don't use your camera phone / camera to take a picture - they get very upset. I believe the locals ignore the new models 'informally'.

Last time I went we spotted the CL63 AMG completely undisguised, and actually parked next to it. Sounded fab. I would look out for the E63 AMG Coupe, and also you might see a new CLS being tested as well.

Enjoy !

saorbust - thank you for this insight.

You mention not to use a camera - I know this may seem a silly question but I really don't want to upset anyone there but at the same time was hoping for some pictures!

Therefore, are you saying not to take a camera in at all (as they won't be happy with photos's at anytime), or will there be opportunities to take photo's meaning I can take a camera and just need to make sure I only take pictures when they're happy for me to?

Definatley take your camera. They will very quickly tell you what you can and can't film.
I took loads of snaps of some very personal cars but certain parts I was told I could not take a picture.
Eg. One cl63 had 6 exhaust pipes (3 on each side instead of 2) and a built in hidden video camera to the rear view mirror facing forward as the owner liked to film his journeys. These were out of bounds taking pictures.

M.

Agree - mw_c32 has it down. Normal cars etc - use common sense. Prototypes etc - don't without asking. They might actually let you take some pictures of some cars and will like the fact you checked before taking the pictures.

I'm really looking forward to this part of my collection next year!

Out of interest, is the SLS being built in Affalterbach, or one of the other factories?

Apart from besoke AMG customer cars, what else is built on site?

Jack

I'm really looking forward to this part of my collection next year!

Out of interest, is the SLS being built in Affalterbach, or one of the other factories?

Apart from besoke AMG customer cars, what else is built on site?

Jack

Engines !!! :rock:

I've managed to arrange a factory visit to AMG in Affalterbach in early March - it's a personal tour of the place for me and the missus which was free of charge once I gave them my VIN number confirming I owned one! Not bad service I'd say and I can't wait!!! :D

I searched online for ages trying to get some information on how to book such a visit as I knew from what I read that they took place. However, I couldn't find anything relating to this on the web so I emailed AMG from their international site and got a response the next day confirming everything I needed. After emailing them it was the easiest thing to arrange!

Has anyone else done this visit and is there anything specific I should aim to do or look out for?

I'm doing this as part of a week-long European trip which will see an overnight ferry from Hull to Hook of Holland and then onto Stuttgart as the first stop for 2 nights.

This will be followed by 1 night in Lake Lucerne in Switzerland, then a long drive to spend a further 2 nights in Monte Carlo (that will be a long drive but I'm making sure I drive on the famous Col de Turini on the way there;)). The Monte Carlo bit is to keep my girlfriend happy on an otherwise car-themed 'holiday'!

Then, I'll be making the trip back up to spend 2 nights in Geneva where I'll pop in to see the Geneva Motorshow. Finally, I'll be doing Geneva to Calais in one hit to get the ferry back to the UK!

I can't wait for this (8 weeks and counting!) and if anyone wants to suggest any great driving roads that they know I could drive on during this trip then please tell me!

:)
Thats sounds FAB ! C63 is on my list this summer as well :).
In regards with your trip i may suggest few things ( as i know that area very well )
Before you go , make sure you have winter tyres/chains for Switzerland as you might get fined if you don-t !!!
Motorways: from Stuttgart take E41 all the way to Lucerne- a clear road 365days( right after you enter Switzerland there is a laser fitted just under a bridge- speedlimit 80km/hr. Here my cousin got fined 80 euros last november 09. DO NOT SPEED IN SWEITZERLAND ! Keep it within limits !

Lucerne - great city indeed . Visit Mount Pilatus( great scenery views ),Chapel Bridge (a piece of the old lucernese history ) ,Lion Monument( builr to honor Swiss Guards ),Guebelin Watchmakers and Bucherer( traditional swiss ) and many many more. I`ve stayed at Palace Hotel - the best around . You`ll love it ! If you have time go to Ober Mountain... awsome .

If you drive towards Geneva, take E35 to Andermatt Pass then exit to 19 towards Brigg-Sierre- Martigny- Monteaux- Lausanne- Geneva = one of the best drives in Switzerland. ( 4 hours drive to Lausanne- my next home:) ) It would be great for you to visit Zermatt, Crans Montana, Montreaux...

Geneva - i`ve always thought its not part of Switzerland , more likely to look as french town :D Plenty to see and do :).

Finances: try not use your AMEX in Switzerland ( for some reason the swiss dont like it - takes too long for confirmation to come ). Go online and apply for FX Mastercard Euro- the best xchange rate £/euros and you can get two cards for free, load it with euros and you-re safe.

If you need any other tips , let me know . I hope it helps.

France is way different ...Annecy- nice but not too friendly. Remember: we-re brits! :D

have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom