AMG fuel octane rating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elite_504

Car
W205 C200 SE EE estate
Ok folks, I have a C32, just recently running into some emissions problems at MOT.

Now, when I first got the car, precious owner said he used 95 octane (std unleaded). I checked the handbook first fill up, and the manual says 95 min. Check the filler cap cover, 95 octane again.

Talking to a mate with an M-series BMW, and he was saying that the power rating was reduced (and mentioned in the handbook) if 95 Octane was used.

Question, does the AMG have a knock sensor, and in fact knock the timing back if low octane fuel is used? If so, my guess is that would contribute to emissions, and running "super" (and this full advance) would have helped at MOT time.

Anyone have any dyno facts to back this up? :dk:

AMG do have knock sensor as far as I know.

I don't care anyway, I still only use 99 octane V-Power on my C55.

Ok folks, I have a C32, just recently running into some emissions problems at MOT.

Now, when I first got the car, precious owner said he used 95 octane (std unleaded). I checked the handbook first fill up, and the manual says 95 min. Check the filler cap cover, 95 octane again.

Talking to a mate with an M-series BMW, and he was saying that the power rating was reduced (and mentioned in the handbook) if 95 Octane was used.

Question, does the AMG have a knock sensor, and in fact knock the timing back if low octane fuel is used? If so, my guess is that would contribute to emissions, and running "super" (and this full advance) would have helped at MOT time.

Anyone have any dyno facts to back this up? :dk:

MIne states 95 and I've never noticed a jot of difference when 98 is used. Porsche made a statement some years ago that 98, 99 or 102 (BP?) was entirely unnecessary in their cars as they were designed to run on 95.

So I stick with 95 when I can be it's increasingly difficult to get 95 without E10 and I've never tried that. Might do this afternoon and report back.

RayH

difficult to get 95 without E10
Thanks folks for the posts, and thanks for the info Ray.
I'm afraid I don't know what E10 is though . .. showing my ignorance here. . .
I'm assuming "E10" is a really 'good to have item' in standard 95 octane fuel?

I have used 95, 98 and vPower in my C43. Have not noted any difference in consumption or power, except my wallet for the difference in price. I have reverted back to 95 as recommended by the manufacturer.
E10 I believe means there is a certain % amount of Biofuels mixed in the petrol.

The C32 is designed to run on 95 RON, and talthough equipped with a knock sensor.

Mine drinks only V-Power 99 RON.

I doubt octane dating will affect your emissions at all.

Hi,
The 112 V6 (C32) and the 113 V8 (C43, E55, CLK55, CL55, S55), were developed specifically to be run on the lower octane fuel, and to be "greener" than the previous family of engines.
I have run my AMG with both high and low octane fuels on both engines the 4.3 and the 5.5, and I don,t find any discernable difference in performance or economy, so the car gets run on normal 95 Octane.
I do however regulary use a fuel system/injector cleaner, about every 5,000 miles or so.

Any car designed to run on ''95'' will not benefit from a higher octane rating......you would be wasting your money.

Mic

I guess they didn't bother with the "green" bit when it came to designing the 63, which is designed not to run on 95 although it is okay with it should it be necessary on occasions.

in my experience even a humble 1.4 fiesta runs better on high octane

Any car designed to run on ''95'' will not benefit from a higher octane rating......you would be wasting your money.

Mic

My old SAAB 93 Turbo was "designed" to run on 95, but its ECU was able to adapt to 98/99 and developed more boost :thumb:

To go against the grain, I use Shells Advance and I do notice a difference in power and Torque!

Nothing that is like 'whoa'. But a definate push in the back.

My car is tuned, so I think to be able to see a difference your engine needs to be in a higher state.

:dk:

If your mates car is an E36 or E46 M3, then he's right for his car. Not for yours.

got to use the best in your amg v8 surely?
I've nearly exclusively used VPower in mine and if nothing else it's a lot louder than it was when I bought it a year ago.

E10

Thanks folks for the posts, and thanks for the info Ray.
I'm afraid I don't know what E10 is though . .. showing my ignorance here. . .
I'm assuming "E10" is a really 'good to have item' in standard 95 octane fuel?

I think you'll find E10 is 10% Ethernol :ban:

Last edited:
Hi,
The 112 V6 (C32) and the 113 V8 (C43, E55, CLK55, CL55, S55), were developed specifically to be run on the lower octane fuel, and to be "greener" than the previous family of engines.
I have run my AMG with both high and low octane fuels on both engines the 4.3 and the 5.5, and I don,t find any discernable difference in performance or economy, so the car gets run on normal 95 Octane.
I do however regulary use a fuel system/injector cleaner, about every 5,000 miles or so.

Bit of a blast from the past but is this right enough about the 95 Octane?
I have only ever used super / 97 / 98 / 99, anyone running their 55's on 95?

Cheers
Neil

I wouldn't bother using 95RON unless I was desperately low on fuel and knew I wouldn't make it to a garage that sold super unleaded, as the price difference between 95RON and suprer on a whole take is only a couple of quid.

Mine tells me to use 98, with 95 to be used only as a temporary measure:

The handbook, flap and MB Customer Services say my 32 should run 95 RON but has a diet of 99 RON, and before that 98RON.

On the 63 though both the handbook and flap demands 98 RON minimum, as shown by developer215.

I would be surprised if the 55 requires 98 RON if the 32 doesn't (related engines).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom