AMG German GTG - Pictures and Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,

Just started to recover from the 1500 miles of driving of the German GTG. Many Thanks to all who came, it was a really eventful trip with plenty going on, and never a dull moment.

The Nürburgring is an experience in itself, as you’ll see from the pictures below, Stewart had a bit of a meeting with the Armco barriers on one corner of the ring, resulting in a bent tracking rod, flat tyre and a few dents to the Nissan 300ZX. Luckily we got it towed away same day and fixed within an hour or so for the trip to Stuttgart.

AMG factory was great, seeing and hearing the S65 AMG, watching SLR engines being built to customised jobs in the AMG customisation factory. Even saw the new SLK55 AMG, be it from a distance.

The classic centre was a real eye opener, going into a big warehouse full of McLaren F1 cars, C1 11 prototype cars, seeing Princess Diana’s actual SL that she used before she died, to Sterling Moss’s actual winning car, along with the prototype A-class, Jurassic Park ML and many many more cars!

Really was a fantastic trip, combined with good weather for the time of year.

So, here’s the pictures and video. Enjoy!

Video of us accelerating from 90mph to 150mph on the autobahn

Link to picture gallery

Cheers, Matt.

Last edited:
Maff,

I notice your speedo has graduation marks for each 1 mph. Is it that accurate?

btw: Nice pics - looks like a top event. :)

Every 5mph isn't it?

Nice pics and video, sounds like you had a great time.

Originally posted by RichardM
Every 5mph isn't it?

Nice pics and video, sounds like you had a great time.

The ivory outer ring has finer markings. But looking closer i notice 8 per 10mph so I'll get my coat....... :p

Yes, for the speedo it has 8 marks for every 10mph, however the rev counter has a marking for every 100rpm.

Just needs to accelerate faster!

Great pics Matt - especially loved the AMG factory ones. Must take a bit of getting used to for the guys there - hordes of visitors swarming over their workplace :p .

What car was this? - love the front bumper:
tnDSCF0050.JPG

Look at the full-size version of this one (click on it):

Does anybody notice anything strange about the "person" working on the engine? ;)

That blue transporter in the Classic section has certainly done the rounds of the magazines recently.

Cheers
Andrew

Flyer,

That bumper is from an SL55 with the optional performance pack (different front bumper, bigger brakes, different ABC suspension etc). Also had a £6500 sound system upgrade :D

Originally posted by Flyer
...Must take a bit of getting used to for the guys there - hordes of visitors swarming over their workplace :p ...

...That blue transporter in the Classic section has certainly done the rounds of the magazines recently...
Apparently the workforce at AMG, Affalterbach are used to groups of visitors descending on their factory, heads of state, pop stars etc. ;)

The blue transporter is a replica built to the exact specification of the original. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

I think my fave story from the Classic Centre concerned a car they were modifying for a local customer. The car was a mint MB from the 1930's owned by a gentleman in his 80's and he's having more trouble driving the car these days so the workshop at the Classic Centre were fitting a power steering system to this glorious car from a current S Class so the owner could enjoy his car for a few more years.

BTW the J reg maroon SL was Princess Diana's last personal car. I wonder what ever happened to her '83 Metro?

S.

Thanks for the vids and pics guys ... defo for repeat visit in summer ...

My Pics and video are back online now after a week of them missing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom