AMG 'growl' from regular Merc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Stupid question time ...........

Just back from a nice break to the US and started to get hooked on the AMG 'growl'. I am sure you all know exactly what I mean .........

Got me thinking though. I have a nice V8 (S500)

What changes would it take to make my sedate warpship into a growling monster ?

Told you it was a stupid question .................................. :D

I simply removed my centre box and fitted a CLK55 rear box to my CLK500... It sounded lovely.... The S must have a centre box that you can get removed...

I put a CLK55 backbox on mine , seems to do the job nicely.

Even my V6 has an decent growl since I fitted the C43 rear box, so your V8 will sound lovely with one :)

Gents,

Out of interest, would removing the centre box pose issues at MOT time?

OT , but glad to see you're sticking around Mr Samedi ! :)

Putting a C32 Exhaust system on my C320 also had the same effect, still relaxed under most normal conditions, but nice powerfull growl when under hard accellearation. I kept the centre box / resonator although many people do remove them.

Love it in tunnels & car parks :D

what's the approx cost difference? and do you think it'd be worth putting one on a CLK230k?

People put huge exhausts on 1.3 Fiesta's, so i'm thinking it will give my car a bit of a growl?

what's the approx cost difference? and do you think it'd be worth putting one on a CLK230k?

People put huge exhausts on 1.3 Fiesta's, so i'm thinking it will give my car a bit of a growl?

Just doing my CLK 230k. You have to be careful with the gas flow and make sure the engine is breathing right. I struggled to find anyone in the UK that would guarantee no performance drop although theory dictates you should see a performance gain, but I have seen too many stainless exhausts from so called experts that affect engine performance, yes they sound right but no one ever looks at what effect it has on the engine. I have ordered my exhaust from a German outfit that does the DTM cars so they know what they are talking about.

I guess the same is true of removing centre boxes and putting bigger back boxes on as long as the gas flow is the same then I suspect you are OK but if you restrict it then it may have a negative effect. I'm no expert but do know exhaust design is critical on the racetrack and large ammounts of cash are spent in that area .

Is it possibly due to differences in the resonance of the exhaust gasses against the modified exhaust route?

Video clip HERE of mine, and the thread about fitting it HERE

The thing I like best about mine, is that it doesnt sound like a Nova, and is pretty quiet around town (until you floor it).

Another vote for removing the centre box, my SL has had this done.

Be aware that any exhaust mods need to be declared to your insurer.

Last edited:
That's the very thing Derek.

To avoid :)

The woofle ... turn your sound up :D:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom