AMG GT has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally!

After a 10 hour flight home and a 5 hour drive up from Gatwick, it's MINE! Doesn't look quite so shiny under the wet, grey skies.

I've only driven it the 15-odd miles back from the dealer as I'm quite tired but a few observations:

1. The Dynamic Plus Package option does make it noticeably stiffer than the demo I drove (which didn't have this option). It's not uncomfortable, more very well controlled. But unless my memory mistakes me, there is a perceptible difference between a car with and without the Dynamic Plus Pack, even when you're not corning hard.

2. I'm probably in the minority having spec'd the top Surround Sound Burmester audio system, given I expect most people to be of the opinion that this car is not to listen to the radio in! However, a good sound system is a must for me and after the woeful Bang & Olufsen in the SLS (truly the worst car audio system upgrade I've ever heard) I had doubts....but it is bloody phenomenal.

3. It sounds phenomenal. In isolation, and with nearly a year since I last drove one, I cannot see how this gives anything away to the old 6.2.

4. I am very, very happy with it!

I will post some better pictures tomorrow when hopefully the weather is better. In the showroom it looked tremendous after having a near 3-day detail and having it's G-techniq Crystal Serum and Exo V2 coatings applied.

IMG_3396_zpsdzbrb8yw.jpg

IMG_3395_zpslmehfoyb.jpg

Congratulations Andrew its been a long wait. Look forward to catching up soon and comparing notes. Enjoy.

Justin

Wow, Andrew that looks amazing. Last time I looked you had an SLS. (Or two) :)

Very nice and by all accounts a great weekend's weather in store so you should be able to get a few miles on the clock.

Enjoy

Thanks guys :thumb:

Congratulations Andrew its been a long wait. Look forward to catching up soon and comparing notes. Enjoy.

Justin

I see you're going to the next BW GTC on 3rd - I'm making the trek down for the AMG PL meet at Brooklands on the same day so I'll catch up with you there.

Are you also attending the AMG PL meet at Brooklands (not sure what your name is on that forum)?

Wow, Andrew that looks amazing. Last time I looked you had an SLS. (Or two) :)

Keep up Peter....that's now years (and many cars) ago :D

Actually, I haven't owned a car of my own for 10 months.

Very nice and by all accounts a great weekend's weather in store so you should be able to get a few miles on the clock.

Enjoy

Thanks buddy :) I'm off work for another week so hoping to get the run-in mileage out the way.

I've also gotta find myself an E63 S daily driver.......:eek:

Last edited:
I only have a few additional pictures from this weekend, mostly at night. And I'm no photographer :doh:

But if you insist.....

IMG_3404_zps1taektr6.jpg

IMG_3405_zpsyedszeym.jpg

IMG_3407_zpsjw1eu7xo.jpg

This car is tremendous, it's everything one could hope it would be when spending this much on a car (and to me, it is a considerable commitment so it has to feel special).

Outside of the way it drives, I'm particularly impressed with the build quality as I'm very fussy with rattles and nosies (I wish I wasn't!). Given how hard the ride is and the generally harsh environment, the lack of unwanted noises is very impressive.

Yes it has ceramics and I'm not sure why there's a perception that they're like an on-off switch. They're lovely with a nice firm pedal and a very powerful feel. I'm sure they don't stop the car any quicker (the standard brakes feel equally powerful) but they do so whilst looking great and with no brake dust. Unfortunately one of the calipers looks like it's been butchered - lots of little chips and a big scratch that's been touched up in the wrong colour. Can't imagine the dealer had any need to remove the wheels so it probably arrived like that - given they're such a pricey option and they're unlikely to get an exact paint match, I've asked for a new caliper.

There seem to be a lot of 'experts' on Ceramic discs on the internet and I'd hazard a guess that 90% have not actually owned a car with them. Although expensive to have fitted new they represent a bargain on a secondhand car. In fact I droned on to the seller of the Boxster I bought with them on in the hope he didn't know that much about them and I got myself a bargain.
When you drive a similar car without ceramics which I did you can tell the difference probably due to the fact they are always bigger but I had a bit of adjusting to do driving a friends Boxster with standard brakes.
The only thing you have to watch out for is when you wash them, I live on a hill and the first time I washed my car and drove it down my road and had a real brown trouser moment until they cleared the water on first application there was no brakes for a moment.

I think people miss one of the biggest benefits of ceramic brakes...unsprung weight. When we went to Estoril in the summer, we got to pick up the 2 brakes on offer and it's absolutely amazing to feel how much lighter the ceramics are.

I have to say, the extra trim on the dash really makes a big difference. Our demonstrator does't have the micro fibre on the dash and it looks a bit plain.

The only thing you have to watch out for is when you wash them, I live on a hill and the first time I washed my car and drove it down my road and had a real brown trouser moment until they cleared the water on first application there was no brakes for a moment.

Ah yes, I've also done that previously.

You're right though, when you're used to ceramics then normal brakes do take some getting used to. They are definitely sharper, or should I say they have less pedal travel than normal brakes. But far from the on/off that people seem to claim (who as you say, probably have little or on actual experience).

I think people miss one of the biggest benefits of ceramic brakes...unsprung weight. When we went to Estoril in the summer, we got to pick up the 2 brakes on offer and it's absolutely amazing to feel how much lighter the ceramics are.

I have to say, the extra trim on the dash really makes a big difference. Our demonstrator does't have the micro fibre on the dash and it looks a bit plain.

Yes, you're right on the weight but not sure this is entirely noticeable without driving the cars back to back (as you did). It doesn't help that I chose not order the forged wheels, but that was an aesthetic decision as I prefer the look of the standard wheels (I actually like the Edition 1 wheels best, which are the same wheel but with the inside painted gloss black rather than grey)

The upgraded interior is the sole reason I didn't order and Edition 1 which only comes with one option - standard black leather and half alcantara seats. Originally I was going for the quilted Saddle Brown interior so it's little ironic that I ended up choosing an interior very similar to the Edition 1. However, the upgraded interior includes the alcantara on the dash and, I believe, a smoother leather everywhere else.

I guess that's the issue. It's great having lighter brakes and wheels, but if you don't like the look of the forged alloys, it's not going to work.

Every GT or GTS I have sold has the forged multispokes, but I did get to see all variations in Estoril. I was surprised that I liked this:
IMG_5306.jpg

The saddest things was when they told is that every car at Estoril would be destroyed after the training. All those lovely GT's....
IMG_5221.jpg

Here's some pictures of this weeks :D Palmball fleet. Lovely day to get them cleaned up nicely and all I need now is my own driveway to park them on :mad:

I must say, I'm very happy with the colour on both of these and the Designo Graphite of the E63 is really sparkly in the sun.

However, the GT feels truly special and I would say the interior, the sound and the steering are my three favourite bits of the car. A little bit more about them shortly but first, this car attracts attention like nothing else I've known....including the SLS. It literally stops people in their tracks, people take their camera's out and everyone lets you in front of them in traffic. The last bit is great, but sometimes I don't know where to look :crazy:

The interior is a stand out item and Merc have clearly spent a lot of money getting it right. The design is really interesting and the quality of materials and construction is magnificent.

The steering appears identical to the SLS with a VERY direct front end. It appears to be a marmite feature but it was always one of my favourite elements of the SLS and I'm glad AMG carried the SLS's front end over. In fact, in Harris's video where he talks about the oily bits he mentions that the suspension is effectively race cars-spec and over-engineered for this type of car - whatever, it feels tremendously agile on the road. The torsional rigidity of the structure feels so stiff - theres no slack and when you turn, it goes - I'd describe it as like a big go-kart compared to a normal car :D

Sound-wise, I can't say anymore than I've already said - it's laugh-out-loud indecent :D

It's got a fair few options and my favourite one's have to be the interior upgrade (that alcantara through the dash is a really special feature), the sports seats (outstanding support) and....the Burmester audio! :eek: Yes, the stereo is tremendous, as it should be for what it cost.

The Dynamic Plus Pack option does make it very stiff (notably stiffer than the demo I drove without it) and I've not driven it hard enough yet to know if the dynamic engine mounts are making a notable difference - they appeared to be very effective in my previous 911 Turbo at keeping everything 'tight' when pushing on, so I suspect when I'm really leaning on the GT it's movements will feel similarly as well controlled.

I actually would've said the brakes were my favourite option as they're just obscene (this car is well over-braked for it's size and weight), but the standard brakes are so good that the ceramics weren't really needed - I just like the look of them and having no brake dust :eek:

Now then, which one of these do you think is the faster car?!? :eek:

P1060033_zpsjboz0as4.jpg

P1060022_zpsb8nvbdkk.jpg

P1060027_zpssietuft9.jpg

P1060025_zpskos5avmu.jpg

P1060035_zpsya2c4nwn.jpg

P1060040_zpst87nl7u8.jpg

P1060043_zpsivi7lp0w.jpg

P1060047_zpsmh0qbofq.jpg

P1060053_zpsz7fnttpg.jpg

P1060065_zpsk8n67u41.jpg

P1060069_zpskkidiagt.jpg

P1060079_zpshe4d2e0i.jpg

P1060051_zpsoqcpy7qz.jpg

P1060050_zpsgkcfgsps.jpg

P1060056_zpshfxyjis7.jpg

P1050983_zpstqzdwar6.jpg

P1050991_zps5s6j3xcm.jpg

P1060016_zpskkdmoxfg.jpg

P1060020_zps7dlw7fwm.jpg

P1060004_zpsvxqmqrbs.jpg

P1060005_zpshjntukts.jpg

P1060009_zpsh7wameic.jpg

Andrew,

All sounding good. The E63 looks fine too. I am up to 1200 miles now and the fun has really started.

I love the steering on the GT and cant believe people are on or off with it. I did 4hrs at brooklands in their GT as part of our complimentary training then
and was astonished how much grip and feel I had.

Keep smiling mate life is good.

Justin

Wonderful cars, both of them, but that rear three-quarter view of the GT is sensational!

The Brooklands training you mention J, is that free then?

Ah the poor E63, barely getting a look in. But even in standard 585hp tune it feels comparable to the GT's shove once rolling, although this may just be an illusion created by the thrust of the monumental torque. I need to get them both to vMax to be sure. And you mentioned the flatness of the GT on your thread - I'm also surprised how little this E-class rolls when you really lean on it (ironically I've driven the E harder than the GT so far but hopefully I'll hit my 1k miles after next weekends trip to Brooklands).

Thanks BD, and yes that 3/4 view is one of my favourites (I think most cars looks best from this angle). Head on I like too, where the GT just looks low and wiiiide.

Last edited:
Palmball said:
The Brooklands training you mention J, is that free then? Ah the poor E63, barely getting a look in. But even in standard 585hp tune it feels comparable to the GT's shove once rolling, although this may just be an illusion created by the thrust of the monumental torque. I need to get them both to vMax to be sure. And you mentioned the flatness of the GT on your thread - I'm also surprised how little this E-class rolls when you really lean on it (ironically I be driven the E harder than the GT so far but hopefully I'll hit my 1k miles after next weekends trip to Brooklands). Thanks BD, and yes that 3/4 view is one of my favourites (I think most cars looks best from this angle). Head on I like too, where the GT just looks low and wiiiide.

Not sure the times low down where in the ball park of my 700BHP r231 that did 3.8 7.8 but after 150 was quicker.

Your GT in red looks fantastic - enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom