AMG GT has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you tried a McLaren 650S? Admittedly I've not driven many cars in this segment, but of the ones I have, nothing comes close to giving you super levels of ride comfort when you need it, and then huge amounts of grip and stability when you don't. Also, the braking ability is immense.

Year old 650's are now into your FF price range and in relative terms appear to hold their price with the competition. Alternatively, snapping up one of next years 675LT spiders, while you still can, would let you run it for a year with minimal loss as limited numbers mean used 675's are in demand.

cheers, Steve
I'm sure once Andrew realises how difficult these McLaren are to get in and out of he will sell it again. :D No surprise they've lowered the door sills on the new 570, but it's still a pain.

Evening chaps.....

The GT looks good indeed Andrew. I'm normally not a fan of red cars, but Rudolph here looks really cool, inside and out.

Annoying about the suspension being so stiff - I hope I don't make the same mistake myself, going for an R8 with sports suspension. But the current one with magnetic ride annoys me too as the dampers fail about every 12 months, and at 1K a pop that's not fun.

Enjoy driving the GT! And seriously, the Fiat is not a real alternative.

Who invited you on here eh? You and your posh Veedub have no place in these parts ;)

But you're right, the posh Fiat was certainly not an alternative. And referring to it as a Fiat is more than sarcasm....many of the visible parts are actually Fiat items!

I'm even kind of getting used to the ride too. Whilst I wouldn't spec the dynamic pack if I had my time again, I guess it's not that bad.

Popped into MB Lakeside today to see their yellow GTS.
Tangible 'Orange peel' on the rear flanks. Hmm...

Few cars these days don't have this as most are mass painted by machines so it's inevitable really. My GT isn't perfect but is better in this respect than a number of other cars I've had. BMW's seem to have the worst orange peel of all.

Have you tried a McLaren 650S? Admittedly I've not driven many cars in this segment, but of the ones I have, nothing comes close to giving you super levels of ride comfort when you need it, and then huge amounts of grip and stability when you don't. Also, the braking ability is immense.

Year old 650's are now into your FF price range and in relative terms appear to hold their price with the competition. Alternatively, snapping up one of next years 675LT spiders, while you still can, would let you run it for a year with minimal loss as limited numbers mean used 675's are in demand.

cheers, Steve

I have considered McLaren, this and the new 570S. And I'm sure they drive tremendously but they're not really suitable for everyday use - not sure I could turn up for work in one (not that the FF would have been anymore suitable in this respect so another nail in the coffin for that idea).

Reading how long Andrew keeps his cars I expect it's gone already:D

No, I still very much have it and to be honest, there's very little else I want. It's a superb all-rounder and feels REALLY special. I dare say even more so than that Ferrari, despite the (new) price differential and it's all underpinned by really solid build quality and everyday ergonomics and functionality that actually works.

Will be very hard to replace and to be honest, the only car to potentially take my eye is the new R8 because it shares all the advantages I like of the GT but is in the next performance level up. However it's also a lot more expensive and comes with severe practicality limitations (I'm actually shocked at how small the 'boot' is - I don't even think one could do the food shopping in it never mind pack a case to go on European road trip!). So...kind of supports my statement regarding the GT's all-round capabilities.

Evening chaps.....
Few cars these days don't have this as most are mass painted by machines so it's inevitable really. My GT isn't perfect but is better in this respect than a number of other cars I've had. BMW's seem to have the worst orange peel of all.

Indeed. And I wasn't wearing my specs.
'Alubeam' yellow paint is a £11?K option so it just seemed 'a majorly under-whelming aspect'.

a111r said:
Indeed. And I wasn't wearing my specs. 'Alubeam' yellow paint is a £11?K option so it just seemed 'a majorly under-whelming aspect'.

Alubeam is chrome polished silver finish.

The Mb yellow is named solarbeam yellow.

Alubeam is chrome polished silver finish.

The Mb yellow is named solarbeam yellow.

Yes, different names but it's the same BASF paint system, not applied by paint line robots.
So one would reasonably expect a flawless finish for what's essentially a fine metallic yellow paint.
Not that orange peel, anywhere, is acceptable on a 'standard' £110K AMG motor. Robots or Roberts.:D

Ed at Divine Detail wet sanded my M5 to remove the peel in the lacquer. You shouldn't have to do this on a modern car to obtain a good finish but all cars seem to be the same these days.

Ed at Divine Detail wet sanded my M5 to remove the peel in the lacquer. You shouldn't have to do this on a modern car to obtain a good finish but all cars seem to be the same these days.
The E63 is the same. Satsuma finish.

Does this process effect the paint or the upkeep of the paint?

In so much as are you required to treat the car with kid gloves after a wet sand? I assume wet sanding removes a percentage of the lacquer?

I've read a bit about it and there seems to be two schools of thought, one of which is if it's your daily drive/useable car then don't worry about it, just drive and enjoy.

If it's a show car then it's a different matter.

This is one of things I'll be looking at when the SL arrives particularly considering how much the paint option was.

Best speak to Ed on the technical side as he maintains all of my cars. The car certainly isn't treated with kid gloves and still looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom