AMG GT S/C/R values/depreciation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dng

Car
997.2S
looking at the GT range of cars and has been a bit harder to gather info so any views from people who have watched the market/owners are very welcomed
Im a bit hesitant at a GTR at £~105k, given this climate which is why im most likely targetting a GT C, a bit more unique then just the S and the extra performance boost
how have prices held up? significant depreciation still likely? of course theres a general price softening across the board. I've also not owned an AMG or mercedes before and am aware that in the cheaper models, big depreciation is a very real thing

Have you driven any of them, 3 fairly different cars IMHO

i drove a GTR first, awesome but a little too hard core to use as “best” rather than “toy”

I bought a GTS, love it. Civilised enough that the wife didn’t complain when we came back from Scotland in it (400 miles), bonkers enough to remind me who really is the boss (the car) if I get too cocky driving it

took a GTC out for a couple of laps on track. No Race mode which seemed to make it a pussy cat rather than a Tiger. Hardly slow but wasn’t going to bite back. Rather lovely as a cruiser

Find the one that suits you, forget about the depreciation. Bought my GTS in May 2021, probably wouldn’t lose anything if I sold it now. I was monitoring prices for about 9 months prior to that, they’ve returned to about that level 2 1/4 years on

took a GTC out for a couple of laps on track. No Race mode which seemed to make it a pussy cat rather than a Tiger. Hardly slow but wasn’t going to bite back. Rather lovely as a cruiser
Are you sure it was a GT C, and not a GT?

For the pre-facelift cars, Race transmission mode was standard on all models except the “base” GT, so if it was a GT C that you drove on track then it would have had it. However all that changed was the transmission mode. It became standard for the facelift.

The AMG Dynamic Plus package (code P71) adds a Race engine mode (engaged with the same rotary controller) and also adad dynamic engine and transmission mounts, firmer suspension, and yellow dials (only visible indication).

For the facelift, AMG Dynamic Plus package was dropped, along with some options like sports tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2] and some standard features on the GT C Roadster like active aerodynamics, to create space for the GT R Roadster.

Are you sure it was a GT C, and not a GT?

For the pre-facelift cars, Race transmission mode was standard on all models except the “base” GT, so if it was a GT C that you drove on track then it would have had it. However all that changed was the transmission mode. It became standard for the facelift.

The AMG Dynamic Plus package (code P71) adds a Race engine mode (engaged with the same rotary controller) and also adad dynamic engine and transmission mounts, firmer suspension, and yellow dials (only visible indication).

For the facelift, AMG Dynamic Plus package was dropped, along with some options like sports tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2] and some standard features on the GT C Roadster like active aerodynamics, to create space for the GT R Roadster.
It was the convertible so assumed that’s the GTC? Thought all convertibles were post facelift? Definitely no Race mode

my own GTS (2016) has the Dynamic Plus pack, the Track Pack, Aero pack……😎

IIRC the other visible part of the Dynamic Pack is the full alcantara steering wheel rather than half and half

looking at the GT range of cars and has been a bit harder to gather info so any views from people who have watched the market/owners are very welcomed
Im a bit hesitant at a GTR at £~105k, given this climate which is why im most likely targetting a GT C, a bit more unique then just the S and the extra performance boost
how have prices held up? significant depreciation still likely? of course theres a general price softening across the board. I've also not owned an AMG or mercedes before and am aware that in the cheaper models, big depreciation is a very real thing
Expect all GT models to depreciate. Of the non-limited models, over time the GT R will hold on to it’s value most relative to the GT, GT C and GT S. Most people buying cars like this in the UK don’t use them a great deal and so having the most hard core mode has most kudos in the pub (or should that be on Instagram) with relatively little compromise in use as they’re hardly used. They’ll therefore be in strongest demand and will on average have lower mileages.

The GT C Coupe holds it’s money very well. There are very few of them relatively speaking, but in many ways they are the connoisseurs choice. Very few wanted them, but those who do really want them. They share the same engine and wide-body platform as the GT R, and it was possible to add the AMG Dynamic Plus package and sports tyres, making them very close to the GT R but in a more subtle package.

Values of all GT models have held up well in the last couple of years because of the bizzare market conditions in which all cars have been doing the same or better. The AMG GT was also helped by the temporary pause in production of the M177/8 engines in 2022. I really wouldn’t use the last couple of years as an indication of future depreciation. Expect them to go back to depreciating albeit at a relatively slow rate and you won’t be disappointed.

Running costs for other cars with similar performance will be significantly more expensive. The GT is a relative bargain in this respect, and so this combined with the ability to soak up some serious miles, means that they make a good choice for people who want to drive something like this a lot - every day or for some serious long distance road trips. I wouldn’t be surprised if this offsets any depreciation costs in the final analysis.

It was the convertible so assumed that’s the GTC? Thought all convertibles were post facelift? Definitely no Race mode

my own GTS (2016) has the Dynamic Plus pack, the Track Pack, Aero pack……😎

IIRC the other visible part of the Dynamic Pack is the full alcantara steering wheel rather than half and half
Roasters we’re introduced as pre facelift models in 2017, and came in the form of GT (narrow body) and GT C (wide body). The GT C Roadster was launched at the same time as the GT R, as They share the same platform and engine. The GT Roadster and GT C Couple came slightly later but were still available pre-facelift. Later still they launched the GT S Roadster as a facelift model, on the narrowbody platform.

People often think the C in GT C means convertible or cabriolet, and so the GT Roadster is often described incorrectly as the GT C. The GT C is quite different, whilst there’s a noticeable increase in power over the GT and GT S (different turbos) the biggest difference is the platform, including the wide body with wider rear track, wider wheels, different differential, and rear wheel steering, which are all shared with GT R.

The dinamica wheel was available as a no cost option on all GT models (including the base model) when specified with the nappa/dinamica interior, hence a dinamica wheel with no Race mode on the car you drove. The dinamica wheel was also available as a no cost option with the AMG Dynamic Plus package as you suggest, but that also includes full Race model (engine, transmission, suspension, and engine/transmission mounts when available).

If i were in the market for one it would be the gt - r.

Thanks for the information
Yes what i really liked was the gt c as 'conoisseurs choice' - given in coupe form really quite limited, but then more similarities and alongside the R vs the GT S alongside the GT
The GT R for the reasons you mentioned could be the 'safer' bet in terms of value, the most limited and the most performance. On the flipside its £105k+ and that could mean it has more room to fall or in £ terms lose the most all be it not percentage terms. Added to that I would be using the car as a 'daily' (short inner city trips but then say ~5k+ miles a year because of some EU trips /track day thrown in) that doesn't do it any favors in terms of adding some solid mileage to it
For my personal situation I'm pretty set on the GT C now if going for a GT. Limited enough quantity in the C, great maintenance and running costs, ability to go on some nice trips with it...and I guess I would just gamble on the hopefully (small) depreciation hit if buying at the right price ~£80k

Yes what i really liked was the gt c as 'conoisseurs choice' - given in coupe form really quite limited, but then more similarities and alongside the R vs the GT S alongside the GT
The GT R for the reasons you mentioned could be the 'safer' bet in terms of value, the most limited and the most performance. On the flipside its £105k+ and that could mean it has more room to fall or in £ terms lose the most all be it not percentage terms. Added to that I would be using the car as a 'daily' (short inner city trips but then say ~5k+ miles a year because of some EU trips /track day thrown in) that doesn't do it any favors in terms of adding some solid mileage to it
For my personal situation I'm pretty set on the GT C now if going for a GT. Limited enough quantity in the C, great maintenance and running costs, ability to go on some nice trips with it...and I guess I would just gamble on the hopefully (small) depreciation hit if buying at the right price ~£80k
Prices of all GT models - GT R included - are almost back to where they were a year or two ago, before the used car market went haywire. There were a few GT R around at less than £100k but £105k would have been fairly typical. Of course they’re all a year or two older with more miles but they’re there or thereabouts.

For the last decade we’ve enjoyed a period of “supercars” depreciating relatively little - or even appreciating for the limited models - but that’s highly unusual and has changed expectations. Two big events in the current decade - limited supply of new cars this year, and withdrawal of new ICE car sales at the end of the decade - make depreciation forecasters exceptionally difficult to call.

Be prepared for the GT R to continue depreciating and you’ll be fine. It will almost certainly depreciate less than a new or almost new regular C/E A4/6, 3/5 in both percentage and absolute terms, and cost no more to run, so it will still be a relative bargain in terms of cost of ownership after you take any funding/interest costs which may or may not apply.

PS I would say the GT C Coupe (or Roadster) would make the better car for your intended use compared to the GT R.

Reactions: dng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom