AMG GT3 - 6.2 V8

Which engine would you choose?

• 6.2 Litre naturally aspirated V8

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • 4.0 Litre twin turbo V8

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63
Mercedes-AMG GT3 | Driven | PistonHeads

Interesting article on the AMG GT3 racer which uses the dry sump SLS version of the 6.2 litre V8 rather than the twin turbo 4.0 litre version used in the road going version. The AMG GT is a car I’ve had on the “One Day” list for a while, in a particularly bright colour :cool:

Hypothetical question, if buyers were given a choice of engines which would you choose? I’d take the SLS 6.2 version, but doubt I’d be disappointed with the 4.0 litre twin turbo :thumb:

I hope no one hates me but I feel the balance of a car is very important, that's why I like M cars in this regard only , with the c63 saloon with only 4 litre, I found the nose to be slightly too heavy at the limit on track. with a 6 ltre lump I'm not sure it will carve corners better than a 4 in that car. Having said that , if I was going to set a record lap time on a track though I would still prefer the linear power delivery usually offered by the NA engine so that would be my preference any day of the week. But on a road car, carving Welsh A and B roads , I'm not so sure I'd like a heavier nose if it pushed the car to understeer regularly

I hope no one hates me but I feel the balance of a car is very important, that's why I like M cars in this regard only , with the c63 saloon with only 4 litre, I found the nose to be slightly too heavy at the limit on track. with a 6 ltre lump I'm not sure it will carve corners better than a 4 in that car. Having said that , if I was going to set a record lap time on a track though I would still prefer the linear power delivery usually offered by the NA engine so that would be my preference any day of the week. But on a road car, carving Welsh A and B roads , I'm not so sure I'd like a heavier nose if it pushed the car to understeer regularly

Does anyone know the difference in weight between the SLS 6.2 and the 4.0 TT V8 ?

Does anyone know the difference in weight between the SLS 6.2 and the 4.0 TT V8 ?
it is a good point though on these funny looking AMG gt cars it seems like the engine is so far back that it will probably still have exceptional balance. the 6 litre lump will no doubt be far more resilient than a turbo 4 ltr too perhaps which is why I would pick that car if I was a racing driver !!!

They are effectively the same weight...

209kg for M177 and 205kg for the M159 in the SLS.

They are effectively the same weight...

209kg for M177 and 205kg for the M159 in the SLS.

Cheers Steve :thumb: It looks like there is nothing in it weight wise so the balance of the car shouldn’t be that much different. I’d still be opting for the M159 engine , if I could ;)

I was with the impression it was a V12 and not a V8?

Nope, definitely V8.

200kg for an engine isn't bad, for example the old S54 inline 6 from the e46 M3 is 217kg as it's an iron block.

For me it would have to be the 6.2 N/A engine for the power delivery and the noise.
It is one engine that will always have a place in motoring history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom