AMG GTc or SL63?

• Thread starter Deleted member 150136
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 150136

I've really got the bug to go back to an AMG, I had an SL63 R231 5.5 bi turbo, and thought I didn't need it!
Now I've had my c class pp250 cabrio a while it's not ticking the boxes.
What would I get over an SL63 if I were to go AMG GTc route? There is a massive cost difference for what seems like a different dress?

I wont do the coupe as if had convertibles all my driving life.

Ta

The SL63 is the 5.5 and is more of a heavy cruiser. The GTC is the 4.0 and whilst it can still cruise it has a more sporting bent. Looks better too...

They’re both 2 seat roadsters with turbocharged V8 engines, but they’re quite different in character and execution. Both are wonderful at what they do, but they do it very differently.

The GT C can relax a touch in it’s softest settings, but it could never match the SL 63 on a relaxed cruise. But when turned up to it’s raciest settings it feels supercar firm, sharp, and darty.

The SL 63 is probably easier to live with every day too. The GT C can easily be an every day every purpose car (for two) but it’s absolutely huge, and can never ever blend in like an SL 63 can.

I took the decision 2 years ago - SL63 won because
No longer want to do track days
SL63 has a solid roof so is more secure and more solid feeling when on a european tour
Wife prefers a hard top to a canvas cover (lol)
SL is also narrower when trying to negotiate little back lanes in UK
Had the offer of a "pre registered" SL with only 29 miles on the clock with nearly 35% off retail -- sealed the deal

kc

That is a first world problem!

I cannot add too much - I love my SL63 (4k miles and counting since mid December, and think it works brilliantly as a daily). GT's are more beautiful and I am sure are sharper (and also less smooth). Surely it is test drive time.....

I loved my SL63, the hard roof was a big plus, only for when parked up for security.
I didn't think the amg gt was a bigger car? I would not have thought that, when I sat in one the cabin felt quite compact.
I know the drive in the amg would be more involved, but in real world driving is that what you need?
The amg is a beautiful car bit so is the SL, and I think the SL would be more practical....but it's not an AMG GT 🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved my SL63, the hard roof was a big plus, only for when parked up for security.
I didn't think the amg gt was a bigger car? I would not have thought that, when I sat in one the cabin felt quite compact.
I know the drive in the amg would be more involved, but in real world driving is that what you need?
The amg is a beautiful car bit so is the SL, and I think the SL would be more practical....but it's not an AMG GT 🤪
It’s certainly one of the better problems to have. 😁

The GT has a wide cabin, and externally is very wide (more than 2m). It feels big when you’re driving too because the bonnet is very long and very wide, and you look out at it through a windscreen which is little more than a a lot. Adds drama, takes away usability.

It’s certainly one of the better problems to have. 😁

The GT has a wide cabin, and externally is very wide (more than 2m). It feels big when you’re driving too because the bonnet is very long and very wide, and you look out at it through a windscreen which is little more than a a lot. Adds drama, takes away usability.
Do you have the amg gt? It sounds just like the SL, wide and long.
I honestly didn't think that would be big difference between the two, maybe sit lower in the GT?
I found the SL to be a very useable car.
Just sold my current MB, so me interest is there again.
I do love the GT but the price difference is huge for what what I see is(for everyday use) is cosmetics...they both have enough power and presence, but the prices throw it into bentley GTC territory which is my real guilty pleasure, and i can most likely get a nice one of those for half the price of an amg gtc!

Do you have the amg gt? It sounds just like the SL, wide and long.
I honestly didn't think that would be big difference between the two, maybe sit lower in the GT?
I found the SL to be a very useable car.
Just sold my current MB, so me interest is there again.
I do love the GT but the price difference is huge for what what I see is(for everyday use) is cosmetics...they both have enough power and presence, but the prices throw it into bentley GTC territory which is my real guilty pleasure, and i can most likely get a nice one of those for half the price of an amg gtc!
Yes, the GT is wide, low and long like the SL, but wider. It feels even wider, lower and longer still because of the driving position and view from the cabin.

It would only be a fun car so that wouldn't be an issue.
The amg gt is beautiful, but the sl63 r231 are really well priced,and fantastic cars.
Hardly a first world problem....I'm starting afresh, with cars, house and life in general.
Trying to work out whether to go flash car and to hell with it(like I did before), or nice older basic SL and nice house.

I could do both but have to be semi sensible 🤣

I asked about bentleys,Aston,ferrari etc before, and mercedes amg range always come out as the useable ridiculous car.

Agree. The potential servicing costs also put me off Bentley, Aston, Maserati etc. - like for like (age and mileage) it looks like a £20k difference. The big change is that you can go a bit older for the SL and get a bargain (which is what I did)! 90% of the positive with 50/60% of the price (and most of the depreciation done)

It would only be a fun car so that wouldn't be an issue.
The amg gt is beautiful, but the sl63 r231 are really well priced,and fantastic cars.
Hardly a first world problem....I'm starting afresh, with cars, house and life in general.
Trying to work out whether to go flash car and to hell with it(like I did before), or nice older basic SL and nice house.

I could do both but have to be semi sensible 🤣

I asked about bentleys,Aston,ferrari etc before, and mercedes amg range always come out as the useable ridiculous car.
The SL 63 is great value. A late car with Obsidian Black paintwork and Bengal Red leather interior would be my choice. Much more subtle than the GT.

How about an SLS if it’s only for fun?

NA - For real drivers

To quote the OP:

I'm starting afresh, with cars, house and life in general.

Means out with old and boring, in with all things new and exciting - M156 doesn't quite fit in that.

🤣 I think the SLS cabrio will be out of my price range....but now you've got me thinking again 🤔

To quote the OP:

Means out with old and boring, in with all things new and exciting - M156 doesn't quite fit in that.
See pic above, the finest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom