AMG GTR Pro help re Coilover suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilmerf

Car
AMG GTR PRO
I just purchased AMG GTR Pro on Friday and have been attempting to alter the manually adjustable coilover suspension.

I have never done anything like this before but looking through the manual it sounds easy enough!

However when i twist the rebound button there are no audible clicks as it mentions in the manual?

So my question if anyone can please help is what is one click? Are we not supposed to hear a click.

Any help here would be appreciated thanks.

Can you feel the dial noticing as you turn it (without any audible clicks)

I have a standard GTR so my dampers are none adjustable. I had adjustable on a previous car and they notched but didn’t make a click like old school KW’s

Off topic but what did you come from? Have you had a GTR before? If so, how does it feel compared to the previous

Thanks for the reply Ben.

No, it doesn't notch or give indication of clicking.

They are awkward to get to, i had to sit in the boot for the rear ones.

But you can get the dial in hand and twist it but there is no clicking or notches it just rotates all the way around until it stops.

The manual says to reset go all the way until it stops anticlockwise, which i did, and then 6 clicks clockwise for basic setting. But i couldn't work out the 6 clicks clockwise.

The car is going into the dealership over the next week so i am going to ask them to reset it incase i have made some dangerous alterations!

Seems odd as without the click/notch, you’d not be able to accurately set them equally. Hopefully the dealer will sort/demo

Off topic but what did you come from? Have you had a GTR before? If so, how does it feel compared to the previous
I have had a C63 Black series (2 seater track pack car) before but currently own the Porsche 991.2 GT3RS Weissach package also alongside the Pro after having 2 997.2 GT3 RS prior to that.

I think the Pro is unbelievable value for money personally now having done 300 miles in it over the last 2 days. It is not yet run in so not fully exploited the car yet.

I cannot believe how much better than the c63 black series it is as a drivers car - cannot compare the 2 really as different sorts of cars. Wish i had never sold my black and would have it back if i could but it isnt the sort of drivers car the Pro is in my opinion. Both have so much character and wonderful engines but the black is more a muscle car whilst the Pro seems to be a proper road racer as good as it gets.

Driving the Pro hardish up to 60/70 miles per hour on country A/B roads the whole size of the car diminishes and feels unbelievably small. I couldnt believe i was only going 60 at times when felt much faster which is similar to the RS Porsches and what makes them great road cars in my opinion. The front end turn in is perfect and the car so agile and the brakes are unbelievably strong.

I am quite blown away by how good the Pro is. Did some motorway running in miles in comfort mode and it is quiet enough apart from bit more road noise than i would ideally prefer but the seats are so comfortable could have easily done a 4/5 hour trip in it. And then when closer to home put in sport plus for few mins and the whole car changed in sound and throttle response was much more immediate.

So overall so far, as i havent been over 4.5k revs and moderate throttle use only, i am very much smitten by the car and looking forward to Race mode! Also the thing that really surprised me is the positive attention it gets everywhere i go. Very striking car and lots of admiring comments and ive only had it 2 days!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new car. Sounds like you have some great cars, past and present. Do post some pictures when you can, we like photos here 😁

I can’t help with the adjustable dampers, but if it’s going into the dealer hopefully they’ll be able to advise. Depending upon whereabouts you are it may be the first time they’ve touched the suspension so it may be a learning curve for them too, but hopefully they can call someone who has got the right experience!

Thanks Bobby, will post some pics up later.

So i drove the car today after having fiddle with the rear rebound settings and the rear suspension was incredibly hard and the car felt different to when i drove it yesterday. So i decided to try and adjust the shocks by stopping the car and twisting the settings and then driving on. I did this 3 times and eventually got back to the OEM settings. I did feel slight notchiness so think there is something there just wish it was bit clearer with the clicks.

I was surprised by the adjustability but felt on UK roads the basic setting is adequate. A button to do the adaptive dampers would suffice i feel but suppose the idea by AMG is groundbreaking much like the traction button. I was very impressed that i could alter the feel of the car by just popping open the boot and twiddling the rebound knobs. Cannot think of another car can do that so easily. Literally i pulled up on the side of the road twisted the knob and drove off and the rear suspension had firmed up!

I have the button (2 stage) like PASM however, unless on track the ‘no lights’ setting is just about capable of managing crummy roads.

Youtubers were reporting the Pro had a slightly more rounded ride on the softer settings (I think to do the front, you’ll need to take a wheel off)

So i drove the car today after having fiddle with the rear rebound settings and the rear suspension was incredibly hard and the car felt different to when i drove it yesterday. So i decided to try and adjust the shocks by stopping the car and twisting the settings and then driving on. I did this 3 times and eventually got back to the OEM settings. I did feel slight notchiness so think there is something there just wish it was bit clearer with the clicks.

I was surprised by the adjustability but felt on UK roads the basic setting is adequate. A button to do the adaptive dampers would suffice i feel but suppose the idea by AMG is groundbreaking much like the traction button. I was very impressed that i could alter the feel of the car by just popping open the boot and twiddling the rebound knobs. Cannot think of another car can do that so easily. Literally i pulled up on the side of the road twisted the knob and drove off and the rear suspension had firmed up!
I can’t help but think that the softest setting will be the best compromise for UK roads.

I find that roads in Scotland & Wales are on average smoother (than those in England), so perhaps one click more might be appropriate there.

Enjoy 👍🏻

I have the button (2 stage) like PASM however, unless on track the ‘no lights’ setting is just about capable of managing crummy roads.

Youtubers were reporting the Pro had a slightly more rounded ride on the softer settings (I think to do the front, you’ll need to take a wheel off)
Thanks for the info Ben, please could you post pic of your GTR.

Interestingly the GTR Black series comes with a button for adaptive damping settings. But i suppose the whole point of the Pro was a track focussed machine where adjustability is key for the driver.

One on track.. one after the ABS sensor fell out.. ha

Attachments

• 72AA5FE6-C624-4E7F-876A-C3463A66C163.jpeg
    72AA5FE6-C624-4E7F-876A-C3463A66C163.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 5353BC98-199E-484D-A409-401A9AEB9895.jpeg
    5353BC98-199E-484D-A409-401A9AEB9895.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 11
Congrats nice pro, did you ever adjust the suspension on your c63 bs?

I own one and have never adjusted it from its factory setting.

Congrats nice pro, did you ever adjust the suspension on your c63 bs?

I own one and have never adjusted it from its factory setting.
Thanks, no never adjusted the suspension manually before on any car i've ever had.

Only reason i tried it in the Pro was after reading the manual it seemed easy to do and thought i would try it out to see if i could notice any changes. Surprised just how effective it is and adjustable.

Don't feel the need to change it as the car comes in a basic setting from AMG which AMG think is best suited and i am happy with their settings.

For track purposes for a very keen skilled driver it would be very rewarding especially on lovely smooth tarmac. When i made some alterations to the rear suspension and firmed them up the car became shockingly bad to drive on the road and i was relieved to get back to the basic settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom