AMG GTR Questions

riano

Hi all, very close to buying a 2018 GTR after driving a different GTR last weekend and had a couple of questions. Waiting for dealer to tell me exact tyre tread depths as the car has 6,000 miles and I assume a set of the cup 2s wouldn't last much longer than this?

HAs anyone driven one with carbon ceramics? The one I'm thinking of has them but never driven one (or any car) with them and some reviews say they're snatchy around town which is where 95% of my driving will be. Assume nothing much could have happened with them in 6k miles to mean they'd need replacing anytime soon?

Insurance has said I need a tracker and from what I've been able to read online all Mercedes have trackers fitted and you simply pay a subscription to activate it so that you can track the car?

Thanks

anglaslt

SUPPORTER
Car
LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG based) and RHD M6 Comp.
Not on a Mercedes but I do have carbon ceramic brakes on another car. I like them. They can feel a bit snatchy, especially when cold, but you can get used to them and drving in traffic or around town is no problem. On the plus side they could last forever, unless you track them, and they are practically dust free. Some owners complain of squeel but mine do not. On the minus side is the cost if you do track them and they need replacement, especially the discs.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
Hi all, very close to buying a 2018 GTR after driving a different GTR last weekend and had a couple of questions. Waiting for dealer to tell me exact tyre tread depths as the car has 6,000 miles and I assume a set of the cup 2s wouldn't last much longer than this?

HAs anyone driven one with carbon ceramics? The one I'm thinking of has them but never driven one (or any car) with them and some reviews say they're snatchy around town which is where 95% of my driving will be. Assume nothing much could have happened with them in 6k miles to mean they'd need replacing anytime soon?

Insurance has said I need a tracker and from what I've been able to read online all Mercedes have trackers fitted and you simply pay a subscription to activate it so that you can track the car?

Thanks
As you suspect, carbon ceramic brakes will not be at their best when driving slowly, around town. They work very, very well at high speeds when they’re up to temperature, but if you’re driving slowly you could indeed find them snatchy, unresponsive or noisy.

The modern Mercedes do come with the facility to locate your car using an app on your phone but I I would be surprised if your insurance company consider this to be a tracker by their definition, ie it’s not insurance approved, and as such you will probably need to install an approve tracker.

If you would prefer not to install a tracker then you could shop around to find an insurance company who don’t insist on a tracker, you may find that it’s less expensive expensive to do that than stay with your existing insurer, even if it means ending your policy mid-year.

Good luck with your search 👍🏻

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
CLS63 AMG
Should be fine around town apart from the squeaking, all CB do this.

C240Sport97

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400 and 911 GT3
Make sure the ceramic discs are completely smooth with a mirror like finish. The patterns on the surface should be regular or even all over.

if not, discs are probably knackered and very expensive to replace

I have ceramics on my 911, they rarely squeak and are not snatchy at all. I would expect GTR brakes to be the same as Brembo makes them. GTR brakes are 3rd generation - mine are 2nd generation - and should be superb

unimog

SUPPORTER
Car
W203 C350, AMG GT63s Coupe 4dr
Mercedes carbon Brakes are indeed Brembo. You should easily get 4 sets of pads, maybe even 5 to a set of rotors (80-100000 miles) providing you are not a track hooligan, the pads are only marginally more expensive than standard ones. The rotors however......

The brake feel is something you will adapt to quickly. No brake dust is a major bonus.

PS Cup 2 tyres are quite hard wearing if you are not tracking but can be sketchy in the wet if you are going to daily it. 6-8k miles is reasonable.

My GT 4 door has the Mercedes Tracker and I'm insured with Admiral, they accepted that as a suitable tracker.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
PS Cup 2 tyres are quite hard wearing if you are not tracking but can be sketchy in the wet if you are going to daily it. 6-8k miles is reasonable.
Not half; when they’re cold, on a cold, wet winter’s day, they are a world apart from when they’re hot, on a hot summer’s day.

OP
OP
R

riano

Thanks for all the replies guys. Decided to go for the car with the ceramics and picking up on Thursday, I actually much prefer sensitive brakes so expect i’ll like them more than my current 911.

Changing insurance companies to Admiral so good to know they accept the standard Mercedes one :D

Have a 270 mile trip home and can’t wait!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom