amg gtr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shindy

Car
porsche cayenne,white c63 amg
anyone owned one of these beasts ???was thinking of pulling the plug but trying to find the right spec,mileage and owners pros and cons??

Would love a GTR but unfortunately funds won't quite stretch for me.

Good information within the following video though that might be of some use to you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

anyone owned one of these beasts ???was thinking of pulling the plug but trying to find the right spec,mileage and owners pros and cons??
What would you like to know?

Pros: Can be used like a Mercedes; Pedestrians and other drivers are universally lovely about them; The view from inside; The relatively unique long nose sit on the axle feel; They’re a bit more subtle than similar super sports cars; Servicing and warranty costs are jolly reasonable.

Cons: Judging where the nose is when parking ia guesswork, not judgement; The cup holder cover will break; Floormats were made from left over fabric from Skoda’s in the 1980s.

Do it! You only live once. Id have one in the green magno hell paint colour

I experienced a ride in one on the nurburgring:

I have one. I traded in my 507 Coupe for it about 7 weeks ago and am rather smitten with it. The car is very easy to drive and can be used as a daily and is frighteningly quick when asked, including round corners. I have only used Sport mode until now as the Cup 2 tyres really need dry warm road surfaces to work as intended so am leaving Sport+ and Individual (where you can specify engine mode, suspension set up and gearbox styles on the screen) for the warmer days I hope we get in the summer. I will probably buy another set of wheels nearer next winter and put Conti's or PS4's on them so I can use it when the weather is dry and road surfaces not covered in salt as I am a great believer in all year round use of high performance cars.

I find the car very comfortable and compliant, but my 507 did have the factory sport suspension on it so perhaps a standard C63 or similar would be slightly lighter on the ride quality and make the GT-R feel a bit more harsh. The driving position is spot on with the optional bucket seats I have and as a former Capri and TVR Chimaera owner I'm used to not seeing the end of the nose.

If you are looking make sure you look at a few as there are a few for sale currently with significant differences in mileage and options, some of which are alarmingly expensive based on the original invoice I have for the car when it was new. Cheapest one in the country worth a look at is at MB Cardiff. It has over 30,000 miles on it but will come with a 2 year warranty. Check any car you are interested in has full MB service history and servicing has been done on time along with any software updates that have been issued by the factory.

If you can do the man math's to buy one I guarantee you won't be disappointed :thumb:

Gratuitous picture below :cool:

GTR.jpg

I have one. I traded in my 507 Coupe for it about 7 weeks ago and am rather smitten with it. The car is very easy to drive and can be used as a daily and is frighteningly quick when asked, including round corners. I have only used Sport mode until now as the Cup 2 tyres really need dry warm road surfaces to work as intended so am leaving Sport+ and Individual (where you can specify engine mode, suspension set up and gearbox styles on the screen) for the warmer days I hope we get in the summer. I will probably buy another set of wheels nearer next winter and put Conti's or PS4's on them so I can use it when the weather is dry and road surfaces not covered in salt as I am a great believer in all year round use of high performance cars.

I find the car very comfortable and compliant, but my 507 did have the factory sport suspension on it so perhaps a standard C63 or similar would be slightly lighter on the ride quality and make the GT-R feel a bit more harsh. The driving position is spot on with the optional bucket seats I have and as a former Capri and TVR Chimaera owner I'm used to not seeing the end of the nose.

If you are looking make sure you look at a few as there are a few for sale currently with significant differences in mileage and options, some of which are alarmingly expensive based on the original invoice I have for the car when it was new. Cheapest one in the country worth a look at is at MB Cardiff. It has over 30,000 miles on it but will come with a 2 year warranty. Check any car you are interested in has full MB service history and servicing has been done on time along with any software updates that have been issued by the factory.

If you can do the man math's to buy one I guarantee you won't be disappointed :thumb:

View attachment 125883
If you genuinely wish to use it all year round then get yourself a set of winter tyres for that second set of wheels. You’ll be stunned by the difference.

Sport Cup 2 tyres aren’t really suited to the UK climate, and whilst a set of PS4S will be much better, if you want to use it all year round then winter tyres are well worth it.

All season tyres are a better bet than full winters, especially if you're leaving it at home on salty days. Something like the Michelin CrossClimate 2 doesn't trade anything like as much dry performance but still has snow ability.

Reactions: Yex
All season tyres are a better bet than full winters, especially if you're leaving it at home on salty days. Something like the Michelin CrossClimate 2 doesn't trade anything like as much dry performance but still has snow ability.
All season tyres are great for people who don’t want to mess about switching at the beginning or end of the season but that convenience comes as the price of compromises is elsewhere. The best option will vary for each of us.

My personal opinion is that all season tyres are a bit too much of a compromise on an AMG GT R, I’ve not checked but I think it would be difficult to find an all season tyre in the right sizes too, so that might be the deciding factor.

From late September, the GT R is far too squirmy even on Pilot Sport Cups, nevermind a Plilot Sport Cup 2s which are an absolute nightmare even in Summer in cool or damp conditions. In Winter you can barely touch the accelerator with Cup 2s.

Winter tyres feel so much better from late September until April or even May, the car is transformed in cool (not even cold) conditions. I would keep the Cup 2s for track use (or sell them), and use PS4S in Summer and Pirelli Sottozero in Winter.

I agree that summer or sticky dry weather tyres are useless in the colder months. However, the UK climate is mild apart from far North/Scotland. Winter tyres are a step too far the other way and not needed.

All season does indeed cover those who want it all with no swapping but even within that category there's a lot of variance.

Jonathan Benson does a lot of tyre testing and I've always found I agree with his comments. He runs a summer/all season setup for the reason I explain above.

Size wise there's typically more of the wider tyres in all season than there are winter.

Watch these videos and you'll see why you don't need a winter for snow and why a winter is a compromise on most of the days we have in the UK compared to something like the Michelin CrossClimate.

I agree that summer or sticky dry weather tyres are useless in the colder months. However, the UK climate is mild apart from far North/Scotland. Winter tyres are a step too far the other way and not needed.

All season does indeed cover those who want it all with no swapping but even within that category there's a lot of variance.

Jonathan Benson does a lot of tyre testing and I've always found I agree with his comments. He runs a summer/all season setup for the reason I explain above.

Size wise there's typically more of the wider tyres in all season than there are winter.

Watch these videos and you'll see why you don't need a winter for snow and why a winter is a compromise on most of the days we have in the UK compared to something like the Michelin CrossClimate.

Struggling to find all season tyres to fit a 12 inch wheel, ideally 325/30 20 or 305//30 20

Some great advice here chaps, much appreciated :thumb:

When I say drive the car all year round I should have been clearer in that I like to ensure engines and gearboxes are used regularly and warmed through and driven at temperature for an hour or so at least once a week where possible in winter months. I certainly won't be prodding the throttle hard at all in the colder months but I do not like my cars to be SORN'D and not used for months at a time. I'm a firm believer that performance engines need to be run all year round and benefit from this approach. I have seen too many examples of older (10 years+) performance cars being started after a 6 month hiatus and splitting hoses etc, not something I want to happen to me :cool:

When I say drive the car all year round I should have been clearer in that I like to ensure engines and gearboxes are used regularly and warmed through and driven at temperature for an hour or so at least once a week where possible in winter months. I certainly won't be prodding the throttle hard at all in the colder months but I do not like my cars to be SORN'D and not used for months at a time. I'm a firm believer that performance engines need to be run all year round and benefit from this approach. I have seen too many examples of older (10 years+) performance cars being started after a 6 month hiatus and splitting hoses etc, not something I want to happen to me :cool:
More importantly, you have a beautiful car so enjoy it as much as you can!

^AGREE WITH THIS^ All day long. I see little point in buying a performance car and leaving it to sit for months at a time, even in winter. My personal circumstances are such that, i'm paying a lot of money to own/insure/maintain and fuel the car and i'm going to drive the tits off it as often as possible.

View attachment 125883
exact colour i am looking for....wow

What would you like to know?

Pros: Can be used like a Mercedes; Pedestrians and other drivers are universally lovely about them; The view from inside; The relatively unique long nose sit on the axle feel; They’re a bit more subtle than similar super sports cars; Servicing and warranty costs are jolly reasonable.

Cons: Judging where the nose is when parking ia guesswork, not judgement; The cup holder cover will break; Floormats were made from left over fabric from Skoda’s in the 1980s.
thanks bobby

thanks for the advice guys im up here in sunny scotland ...nothing available near me yet i am 6ft 4 inch tall any size issues you forsee for me,looking for green or yellow as my preffered colour choices so narrows my options down a fair bit

thanks for the advice guys im up here in sunny scotland ...nothing available near me yet i am 6ft 4 inch tall any size issues you forsee for me,looking for green or yellow as my preffered colour choices so narrows my options down a fair bit
Green Hell Magno was both the launch colour and stunning, so it was very popular - finding one will be relatively easy. Solar Bram Yellow is the polar opposite, and if one comes up for sale then you’ll miss it if you hesitate, as they’re like hens teeth.

You should fit in, but whether you will be comfortable or not I wouldn’t like to say. The bigger you are the more agile you need to be to be able to get in and out through the door aperture especially at narrow door angles. An SLS has the advantage there!

For the type of car they’re relatively spacious, but I would definitely sit in one and drive it before you buy one to make sure that you can get in and out and make yourself comfortable - even if it means a long trip without buying.

Green Hell Magno was both the launch colour and stunning, so it was very popular - finding one will be relatively easy. Solar Bram Yellow is the polar opposite, and if one comes up for sale then you’ll miss it if you hesitate, as they’re like hens teeth.

You should fit in, but whether you will be comfortable or not I wouldn’t like to say. The bigger you are the more agile you need to be to be able to get in and out through the door aperture especially at narrow door angles. An SLS has the advantage there!

For the type of car they’re relatively spacious, but I would definitely sit in one and drive it before you buy one to make sure that you can get in and out and make yourself comfortable - even if it means a long trip without buying.
thanks bobby what you think the residuals be like especially with the new amg out next year?and what is a must have spec...ceramics essential?

also is the facelift a 19 plate or later??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom