AMG Hammer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone educate me, what makes the 'hammer' so special? Also, check the price out!!!! -

Do you know of any other 25+ year old saloon that was that fast?
Or should we say how many cars were that fast then

Last edited:
see below

Last edited:
The U.K. market is much higher then the USA market.
This Hammer would be the equivalent of $64K.

The last Hammers that sold in the USA were in 2010 at the Barrett Jackson auction.
All low mileage and 6.0L-32V builds and owned by the same California collector Aaron Ruskin.

The S124 combi was purchased by a well known USA forum member at about $42K ( 27K sterling), the C124 at $37K (23K sterling ) and the W124 sedan with only 17K miles was a private sale for $35K.
All the original builds were by AMG Central in Westmont IL.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/11/19/unstoppable-1987-amg-6-0l-hammer/

I would think considering a very weak global economy that the asking price on the U.K. offering is a bit high.
You must be very careful as the 32V cylinder heads tend to leak and astronomical cost to repair ( if repairable ) !!
There has been one for sale for some time in the USA at around the same asking price with offers around $35K/22K sterling..

It's worth what one is willing to pay..consider that less then 20 Hammers were built worldwide :thumb:

Last edited:
Don't fancy one Ed ? ;)

Re the S124 Hammer that's mentioned above.....I had always been led to believe that that car was effectively a home build, ie using parts from a crashed Hammer

Re the S124 Hammer that's mentioned above.....I had always been led to believe that that car was effectively a home build, ie using parts from a crashed Hammer

Martin

Far from a home build..
It was built by AMG Central in Westmont Illinois, and fully documented.
Not sure but there were a few S124 ( 16V and 32V ) that started life as Canadian market diesels brought into the USA by AMG Central for conversion.
Currently owned by Jonathan Hodgman of Blue Ridge MB in Atlanta.
Jono is one of the few "Hammer" experts in the USA and replicates many of the parts no longer available for the 5.0-6.0L 32V engines.

Ed A.

Last edited:
Don't fancy one Ed ? ;)

Howard

I actually tried to buy Ruskin's W124 prior to starting my C124 WB build..
He was at $65K and was at $42K in a falling market in late 2008...
He should have taken my offer, but then I would probably not built my widebody !!!

Things happen for a reason !!! ;)

Ed a.

brucemillar said:
His style changed a generation in their trouser wearing habits. Trousers that have a crotch between your knees are rarely seen these days.

A little OT but has anyone seen the TOP Cash Back advert it made me chuckle! Search Top Cash Back MC Hammer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom