AMG in the '90s - how ordered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

Didn't want to hijack the various widebody threads with this Q: how did UK customers choose AMG kits/wheels for their brand-new Mercedes back in the '90s? (Edit: meaning before AMG was bought in-house)

I'm looking at a W201 that has an AMG gen 2 kit and wheels that all appears to be genuine and seller says were there from new (as far as he knows). Rest of car is high-spec, too.

So did UK customers spec a car at the MB dealership and from the official MB spec, get it built and delivered to the dealer which then fitted the AMG bits (painted to match), before delivering the car to the customer?

Did all MB dealers do this?

Last edited:
our 99 E55 has the following options included

772 amg styling package - front spoiler, side skirts and rear apron (с 02.01.1992)

774 Shell modification for AMG-wheels

Didn't want to hijack the various widebody threads with this Q: how did UK customers choose AMG kits/wheels for their brand-new Mercedes back in the '90s?

I'm looking at a W201 that has an AMG gen 2 kit and wheels that all appears to be genuine and seller says were there from new (as far as he knows). Rest of car is high-spec, too.

So did UK customers spec a car at the MB dealership and from the official MB spec, get it built and delivered to the dealer which then fitted the AMG bits (painted to match), before delivering the car to the customer?

Did all MB dealers do this?

use this site to enter the VIN if you have it and it will tell you ALL options the car had when it was made.

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng&ing=eng

That link will give you amg spec post circa 1992. After AMG became in house.
Prior to that, anything AMG was seperatly ordered.

whoops forgot about that sorry

Manalishi

I think the 201's came all kitted out as ordered by the buyer. They came in close 30k

Ah - please read my Q to apply to the era before AMG went in-house (pre '93ish?).

FYI, it's a '92 car. I already checked the VIN and there's no mention of kit nor wheels. In fact, no mention of a wheel option at all - given that it has so many other high-price options, it seems strange not to specify alloys. (unless that's because it was getting a wheel upgrade at the dealer, perhaps?)

Aka$h: do you know if some/all MB dealers had AMG brochures/pricelists/etc in the showroom?

AMG options were a seperate order, the options and price lists were seperate. Most dealerships would have had the info to hand.

I know to begine with Stratton were the main UK supplier.

My understanding is that the cars were sent to AMG to be modified before delivery to customer.

Therefore the VIN will show basic car as it left Mercedes factory before going to AMG.

surely not if there were any engine mods - I would have thought they have to be recorded against the VIN

My understanding is that the cars were sent to AMG to be modified before delivery to customer.

Therefore the VIN will show basic car as it left Mercedes factory before going to AMG.

That probably makes more sense than my thought that the AMG kit+wheels was added-on by the UK dealer. And if the MB dealers in the UK had the AMG brochures and could process the AMG-related changes as part of the order, it's - in effect - a fully and officially MB-sanctioned car.

You went to an AMG dealer, such as Stratton, and then the options were simply based on how deep your checkbook was.

It's a grey area as to exactly what was dealer built and what was factory built and sometimes a combination of the two.

If it was cosmetic, it's unlikely it left the UK, however, if you ordered a full banana wide body 6.0 litre, Recaro clad monster, chances are it went to the factory. At that time it was genuinely bespoke.

surely not if there were any engine mods - I would have thought they have to be recorded against the VIN

Not pre 93. My Hammer started life as a 230E and still remains as one according to the VIN.

The entire drivetrain was changed, the 5.6 DOHC, gearbox valve body upgrade and change of differential on this Hammer.

Stratton/AMG back then had no allowance to change VINs. The only tuner that had dispensation to do that was Brabus, even back then, they were allowed to asign a new chassis number(discarding the MB one) to the car once their modifications were complete.

talbir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom