AMG IV Refurb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I have been thinking of giving into my OCD tendancies and have my lovely wheels refurbed. I have spoken to 3 or 4 firms but everyone keeps making caveats such as "it's hard to get the depth of shine they have the factory", "matching sterling silver is hard", "Don't paint them have them powder coated silverchrome for the same sort of depth". I'm getting confused and wondered what people's thoughts /experiences are. Cheers guys.

I did one of mine myself after reading about the costs. I think KillerHertz has refurbed his alloys himself too. Painted silver and then lacquered.

if they have a diamond cut face and you want too keep that look you will need to send them off too get recut unfortunately that is not cheap, to have them repainted you would be looking around the £50 a wheel

I've waited as long as possible before getting mine done because every refurbed IV I've seen is a different colour to the orginal factory finish - more than 8 years in fact!!

My AMG IVs are with Rimfurbish at the moment. I finally had to go for it though as the paint had started to bubble near the valve on one of the rears - I'll let you know how close they get.

Rimfurbish did tell me what combination the undercoat and top coat colours are for the factory finish, but I forget now - I'll check with them when I collect.

Cheers BD. Everyone one wants to paint them "Silver" but they have a great sheen in the factory colour. Hope your's come out the way you want. Are you painting them or having them powder coated?

Cheers BD. Everyone one wants to paint them "Silver" but they have a great sheen in the factory colour. Hope your's come out the way you want. Are you painting them or having them powder coated?

Sounds familiar!!

I just gave them the brief: do whatever is required to get a very similar finish. I suspect they'll paint. I'll let you know though.

I should be able to give you my first thoughts this week.

I've spoken to 5 firms about my AMG ivs and no one seems keen to tackle the job. Lepsons will do it but need weeks of notice and the car for 3 days and it's dear as well. I'll let you know how I get on!

I've used Lepsons a few times and they can be very good, just check when you pick up as occasionally "bits" get in the paintwork. They happily re-do them though :thumb:

As I understand it there are two finishes on Merc wheels, Titanium Silver and Sterling Silver if that helps!

Yes mine are Sterling Silver. I'm being told that the nearest I'll get is Silver Chrome in powder coating.....?....

Lepsons did Sterling Silver for me, and very good it looks too.

for a fully powdercoated finish , i used wheelworx in colchester for one of my silver e55 alloys which i bought as a spare, it was an excellent match to the originals and a near perfect job, not cheap tho at £72incvat

Picked up the orginal AMG IV wheels from Rimfurbish this evening.

Had a quick look at each of them. The quality of the work really is very good - a lovely finish that's difficult to find fault with.

I can tell it's not the original finish, that special sheen isn't there, but the match isn't bad, and the best refurb match I've personally seen in person, so I'm happy with that.

They come beautifully wrapped and boxed. Well up to courier dispatch if you can't get there in person.

View attachment 25647

I actually delivered them to Rimfurbish in the original AMG boxes which my new AMG IIIs came in, but those must have gone in the recycling bin :( but to be fair they'd only have gathered dust in the garage.

The colour match is pretty good. Believe it or not it's actually NISSAN silver - not sure what the undercoat colour is though. I suspect grey as it has a grey hue (is that the right word??).

View attachment 25648

I think the give away that it's not the original factory finish is: (i) the shine is too deep and glossy; and (ii) the finish has too much glitter.

The original finish is somehow a shallow sheen rather than deep gloss, and is flat/consistent rather than gliterry!! Forgive my limited descriptive vocabulary.

View attachment 25649

Last edited:
Lastly a photo showing the logo in close-up.

View attachment 25650

So as you can see it's not 100% but it's probably 99% which is much better than I was expecting, so overall pleased with the results.

Best bit is the price: £45.43 each plus VAT or £218.06 all inclusive for the set of four.

Last edited:
They look great,

I would save fitting them until after winter if you could?

Thanks.

I'm running my new AMG IIIs with winter tyres at the moment, so whilst it's tempting to put these on the car, I'll be thinking about switching back to winter tyres again in 6-8 weeks time.

I might still get my summer tyres fitted though, so I have one pile of big round things to store, rather than two. :D

That is fantastic info Bobby. They look great and the price was good. I think your description, far from being limited, was in fact spot on. I know exactly what you mean about the quality of the shine/glitter. The important thing is that they have done a good job and you are happy with them. Well done:)

Hopefully below is a photo of my wheels when they were still in near mint for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
At last I have made a decision and I'm getting them powder coated tomorrow by a firm called Inspraytion. The work will take 2 days and I'll keep you posted.

Before-worst wheel.

Last edited:
At last I have made a decision and I'm getting them powder coated tomorrow by a firm called Inspraytion. The work will take 2 days and I'll keep you posted.

Hi R2D2,

Any update on your powder-coated referbed wheels yet i'd be really interrested in seeing some pics?

cheers

Hi R2D2,

Any update on your powder-coated referbed wheels yet i'd be really interrested in seeing some pics?

cheers

Oops sorry I deleted some earlier. Hope these help:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom