Amg lsd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nitro

Car
C63 AMG
I have searched but to no avail.

What make and more importantly type of LSD do AMG/Merc fit to cars so equipped?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried contacting the main dealers

I asked my local main dealer about retro fitting and he wasn't sure it could be done. Crazy hey! He wasn't sure he would be able to order the part as it wasnt fitted from factory. Nor comment if they would be able to fit it to a non lsd car as there could be other parts needed. Even would need to check if it would effect a warranty claim albeit genuine Mercedes-Benz parts used and fitted by a Mercedes-Benz technican. Been waiting a call back while he looked into it and it's been a week so far. Assuming they don't want the work.

There's one available on eBay for £950 just not sure it's got everything you need and I think an aftermarket one brand new can be had for £1200 quid £950 seems high

I'm asking more out of interest rather than anything else.

I tried asking a couple of dealers. You would have thought I was asking them to explain quantum physics or something from their reactions!

They didn't understand the question let alone provide coherent answers!

The best I got was after a delay of 24hrs then a call back. "LSD is a limited slip differential according to our technicians"

Amazing

I'm asking more out of interest rather than anything else.

I tried asking a couple of dealers. You would have thought I was asking them to explain quantum physics or something from their reactions!

They didn't understand the question let alone provide coherent answers!

The best I got was after a delay of 24hrs then a call back. "LSD is a limited slip differential according to our technicians"

Amazing

Not unusual I'm afraid, dealers are full of incompetents sadly. Makes life very difficult at times. Just go for a quaife one and be done with it.

Yep. Quaife is much better anyway .

I am sure MB make it themselves.

As above. Get a Quaife. I can help if you need one.

Google 'Torsen'. There's loads of info out there.

That seams to be the consensus but I'm trying to understand why?

How are they different?
What do they do differently?

Cheers
The primary difference from a driver's perspective is that because the Quaife is a torque-biasing diff, it's always "engaged". As a result, when the rear axle breaks away it does so more progressively that an clutch-based LSD which needs a wheel to start spinning before it engages (and can snap a little bit as a result).

The Torsen diff was McLaren's secret weapon back in the 80's, untill all the other teams found out about it..

This is despite the design being published in an edition of "the Engineer" from 1909!

Nitro, if you can hold out until August (when I'm back off holiday) I'm going to try and organise another group buy on the quaife's

I'm interested in a group buy but August :(
I really wanted to book some work in for next month at MSL.

Message MSL, I got a very good price from them as I missed the last group buy, I paid the same price as the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom