AMG Monoblock Alloys. Worth keeping hold of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justindorville

Car
CLK 350 Sport Convertible
Hi all, first proper post. I'm in need of a bit of cash and thinking of parting with my set of genuine AMG Monoblocks. They came off an old CLK208 that I bought as a doner car for parts. I decided to take them off the car and get them professionally refurbished with a diamond-cut rim. They are 18 inch and staggered width, front to back and have 4 very good tyres on them.

Question is, do you think they are worth hanging on to from a financial point of view? I'm guessing they are worth around £1200 but will they be worth a lot more in a few years time? Obviously, the tyres have a shelf life so they won't be much good the older they get.

What do you lot think?

Attachments

• 20200812_160559.jpg
    20200812_160559.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
As my American friends would say, "apologies for being a Debbie Downer, but...."

Ebay suggests those AMG wheels are not currently worth much at the present:

Refurbishment is a risky business, even on latest design wheels. At £50 a corner, unless the wheels are rubbish, it's unlikely to add the cost of the refurbishment to the wheels / car.

As for the value in ten years' time, look at the value of 30 year old wheels and judge for yourself. Given the amount of space they take up, and the risk of damage in storage, it's hard to get excited by the payoff.

Remember that most people won't use tyres that are 20 years old, so the only value is in the rims.

Personally, I'd sell on, and use the cash to buy other things.

(That said, I have good friends who love to hoard older stuff - because "maybe one day.")

Thanks for your reply. I think that is the slightly newer, less valuable Monoblock version but I could be wrong. I had them refurbished at the cost of £400 so would hope to get something way north of that for them. I know times are hard though.

You'll certainly get more than the cost of your refurbishment for them today, if they've got four good tyres on them.

My point was more around the whether they'll be worth more in the future. Personally I would say cash in and use the money for other things - or invest it in an ISA paying 5+%

Yes, I think you might be correct. The tyres will be good for a while yet so at least they would get some use as well. As things are I think they will be going towards paying off a credit card sadly! 🤣

I would sell before the tyres start cracking. Let’s hope a genuine enthusiast buys them if you decide to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom