Amg oil temp worry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray d

Car
slk 55 amg
Hi all, I am sure this has been asked before but I have tried to do a search with no joy. I have just got a 55amg and the oil temp is hovering between 98c and 105c normal driving in outside temp of 17. Is that normal or should I be concerned.
Thanks
Ray

Water temp about 95 which seems normal. No warning as the oil temp is a digital read out

sounds normal

Sounds totally normal. My C63 oil temperature moves between 88c and 115c depending on how hard your driving it... My previous car, Audi RS4, oil temprature used to get as high as 118c when driving it hard.

I think its a simple case of most cars only show the coolant temprature, whereas oil can get considerably warmer... so people naturally panic on a car which also has oil temperature displayed.

The car shouldn't do itself any damage, once it reaches a certain cutoff point you'll find the engine will start to pull the timing (and thus power) back to stop it getting too hot.

Thanks guys, you are right as I have never had oil temp guage before and I always drive with it showing (more to show the gear selected) It just spooked me to see the oil so warm. Suppose I should know it is warm as when changing the oil on my other cars I take them a good run before and many a burnt hand I have had removing the sump plug.

Thanks guys, you are right as I have never had oil temp guage before and I always drive with it showing (more to show the gear selected) It just spooked me to see the oil so warm. Suppose I should know it is warm as when changing the oil on my other cars I take them a good run before and many a burnt hand I have had removing the sump plug.

Think about it...how hot is the coolant in your engine? So why would the oil be any different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom