AMG popularity: a good or bad thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Yesterday I was sat at a set of traffic lights on an urban dual carriageway, and in the front row was a GT C and G 63, and behind them were an ML 63 and GLC 43.

As I sat there it occurred to me that whilst this is an unusual event even today, especially in the Midlands/North, it’s a world away from even just 15 years ago.

Back then Mercedes already had quite a broad range of AMG models, but they were very rarely seen on the road, and very few members of MBClub had one either.

This traffic light GP showed how the model line up has changed in that time, with an AMG-only sports car, and a “lighter” version of an AMG, in this case a 43.

I can’t see how to create a vote in this version of the forum, so you’ll need to share your view as a post - is the popularity of AMG a good thing or a bad thing?

PS Going back 25 or even 35 years ago would show an even greater difference, but that pre-dates the forum and AMG (and even Mercedes) had a much smaller line up!

They have certainly become a more common sight than they used to be. You and I were both C32 owners when they hadn't been out long. Seeing another on the road wasn't exactly a common occurance. We had a meet at MB World back then, and I think there were five in attendance? I'd never seen so many in one place! The w204 C63 was the changing moment I think. They were produced in quantity never seen before, they were great cars and sold heavily. The turning point in my mind. The brand dilution started heavily too, with lesser models becoming "AMG line". Certainly it has made the company a lot of money, so a shrewd purchase from Messrs Aufrecht and Melcher that they have certainly made the most of. I still love 'em :)

I think there’s at least a couple of factors at play - low interest rates (and therefore cheap finance) coupled with slightly cheaper built, but desirable models. Also fuel costs are probably a consideration - fuel is pretty cheap these days relative to what it has been in the past.

It’s not unique to Mercedes-Benz of course, I think there’s a lot more S/RS/M-cars etc out there too, likewise Porsche and even Aston/Bentley etc.

I mean it’s not as though cars like the early 00s C32/CLK55/E55 etc were limited in numbers, just that there wasn’t as many buyers back then - how much was the C32 back then? I think I remember my CLK55 being something like £63k - it had depreciated an awful lot when I bought it around 7 years old.

But yes, just out today I must have seen half a dozen AMGs within 5 miles of where we live, most £100k cars don’t really turn heads anymore - I notice tidy older cars more than the brand new ones! :)

I mean it’s not as though cars like the early 00s C32/CLK55/E55 etc were limited in numbers, just that there wasn’t as many buyers back then - how much was the C32 back then? I think I remember my CLK55 being something like £63k - it had depreciated an awful lot when I bought it around 7 years old.
The C32 was early mid-fifties if I remember right, once a few options were ticked.

For me it’s a good thing. I love seeing nice cars regardless of the brand. I filled up my van on Friday at Tesco and was chatting to a guy filling up his sparkling M5. I commented on how stunning it was.

Regardless of why or how people fund their AMG’s Good on them I say. The more the merrier.

I think it's a good thing.

Brings some younger/high-performance image to the brand.

Otherwise it would have been seen as the brand for aging industrialists and industrious taxi drivers.

The C32 was early mid-fifties if I remember right, once a few options were ticked.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My cousin has just bought an 18 plate BMW M4 for cash. He fits windows and conservatories in and around Yeovil.
God knows how he’s done it.
Maybe the clue is in the fact that he bought it cash?

AMG no longer the esoteric. 😱

All a bit disappointing really, I mean pretty much any of the great unwashed can have an AMG or AMG Like car these days. They'll be joining golf clubs (with polo shirts hanging out and cargo pants no doubt) and going on foreign holidays next (not just Torremolinos or Benidorm either). Where will it all end?

Toto Wolf said in a piece on Sky a while back that as a result of the Mercedes AMG Formula 1 project, Mercedes are now seen as a sporty brand. No doubt helped by greater numbers of AMG cars on the road.

From a purist viewpoint, the AMG 'hand crafted/modified' cars of the past produced in relatively small number, no doubt offered a certain exclusivity that certain sections of the motoring public enjoy. Now that AMG cars are mass produced, they are by definition less exclusive. I think this is a good thing, but can understand why some might feel otherwise.

But yes, just out today I must have seen half a dozen AMGs within 5 miles of where we live, most £100k cars don’t really turn heads anymore - I notice tidy older cars more than the brand new ones! :)

The above.

Nice though some undoubtedly are, the looks of today's MB's seems to be very samey with nothing catching my eye like a 124/202/205/210 C43, E55, with the beautiful CLS perhaps the last to float my boat - saw one in the flesh the other day and they are such a well styled car.

Perhaps it my age, but the cars that are circa 15+ years old are just more beautiful.
Their fewer numbers/exclusivity back then and now must have something to do with it, but it's rare my head is turned by newer stuff these days.

As said, low finance rates and more ways to buy/hire/lease makes the new cars more accessible.

When Darrell says cash, I think he means without finance.
No dealer, even small time wants anything to do with more than 5K in readies now.
If they do, cue a possible laundering investigation at some point down the line.
I once took £15,000 in cash for a Q7 and what a performance I had paying that in over the counter.

Tricky one this because it’s quite a broad question; I used to like the idea that people thought I was driving an old man’s car when I was in any of my pre-2010 AMG’s, I have always gone for the Q-Car thing...

As noted earlier in the thread though, the game changer was the C63 when their demographic target changed from the understated gentleman to the overstated lad and they actively courted the RS/M3/Evo/Impreza crowd; how many times over the years have we had new members join “from the darkside” announcing they’ve just bought a C63?

When you think of the vast array of cars Mercedes have built off the back of that one model then you’ve got to be impressed, it really changed the course of an entire manufacture from the A45 to the numerous other models like the complete ‘43 range - none of that would have been possible without the C63...

So, to sum up; for the better? For me? Not really, as a brand they’ve slid down the exclusivity ladder but shifted a lot more metal which was their aim and they did what they needed to do to survive but they lost a bit of the soul of what AMG was about to me...

We have just been part of an era on which is now in its twilight years. The last 16-18 years have been great times for the rise of super saloons. Who would have thought back in 2008/9 the scooby/evo era was about to die out? The price of good AMG cars from the last 10 years is appreciating, because most enthusiasts know this is the last time to own one. 4 Pot hybrids wont find nearly as many homes.

And interestingly enough, BMW's E90 M3 outsold the W204 C63 by some margin.

I have said it before, its the look for less culture. Most people don't want or cant afford a large engine. As long as it looks fast/expensive that's good enough for most. AMG line cars funded the development of better, and paved the way for the likes of the SLS and GT. That's where the exclusivity went as everything got more expensive.

The true AMG cars still have a soul despite being a bit less exclusive, and hopefully will be remembered for it.

It's neither good nor bad, just different.

When I first got behind the wheel of a C43 in 2003 AMG's were a rare sight on the roads. I would spot maybe one other C43 a year. There was a C36 locally which, IIRC, was owned by the drummer out of Jamiroquai. And my boss at the time had an SL60. Those were the only two I knew.

I remember a very excited Norwegian fella running out of a newsagent in Notting Hill to look at the car and shake my hand - he'd heard of the C43 but had never seen one in the flesh and probably never would again. And also a very confused bloke in a 911 slowing down to see what the boot badge said as I'd just had the drop on him twice on a dual carriageway by Heathrow.

AMG's were pretty much under the radar back then. I don't think it's good or bad the way that Merc have developed the brand. Things change and they've produced a series of awesome cars since the early days.

Tricky one this because it’s quite a broad question; I used to like the idea that people thought I was driving an old man’s car when I was in any of my pre-2010 AMG’s, I have always gone for the Q-Car thing...

Yeah, I really liked that aspect too. It's also why I like my debadged E500 as, in my head at least, it's more along the lined of the 210 E55 than the current E63. A large, powerful engine in a fairly anonymous-looking shell. Just about the only thing the 210 had to differentiate it were the monoblocs, exhaust tips and a very subtle body kit. You had to look quite hard to spot them. I like that.

AMGs don’t have that cache as they did in the old days. Too many AMG badges on the normal mercs has diluted it. so much so that the owners of the badges AMGs don’t understand a real AMG in many cases.
My friends father had a new C43 back in 2002 and let me have a drive - I was blown away by it. The old skool really has presence.

I saw an E36T up here in Glasgow twice in one week! Absolutely stunning, lhd and in green black. It was immaculate, such a rare beast , I just stood staring at it.
Anyway selling our C63 .....

Attachments

• 39500170-3BC3-4551-80F7-C9239C3A03A7.jpeg
    39500170-3BC3-4551-80F7-C9239C3A03A7.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 39
AMGs don’t have that cache as they did in the old days. Too many AMG badges on the normal mercs has diluted it. so much so that the owners of the badges AMGs don’t understand a real AMG in many cases.
My friends father had a new C43 back in 2002 and let me have a drive - I was blown away by it. The old skool really has presence.

I saw an E36T up here in Glasgow twice in one week! Absolutely stunning, lhd and in green black. It was immaculate, such a rare beast , I just stood staring at it.
Anyway selling our C63 .....

That really is a lovely car, mate.

Reactions: HB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom