AMG popularity: a good or bad thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks, sound and performance are all attractive to me, but it’s the performance potential which has by the greatest appeal for me, the ability to do something but choose not to.

• Oskar Schindler : Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
  • Amon Goeth : You think that's power?
  • Oskar Schindler : That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
  • Amon Goeth : I think you are drunk.
  • Oskar Schindler : That's power, Amon. That is power.
Hang on Bobby,
What about comfort? :) :)

Hang on Bobby,
What about comfort? :) :)
I’ve never found a Mercedes to be uncomfortable, despite Mercedes becoming more like BMW and BMW becoming more like Mercedes,

I find that Mercedes typically have a relatively compliant ride compared to their equivalents, although active suspension really helps in that regard.

I’ve never found a Mercedes to be uncomfortable, despite Mercedes becoming more like BMW and BMW becoming more like Mercedes,

I find that Mercedes typically have a relatively compliant ride compared to their equivalents, although active suspension really helps in that regard.
Please take this as a question because I have NEVER sat in the AMG Black but I have read countless posts about the ride being too firm. Have you rode in one and how does it compare to the 'normal' AMG

Just noticed your saying Mercedes are becoming more like BMW!!! Nooooooooooo Think iX nuff said :)

Please take this as a question because I have NEVER sat in the AMG Black but I have read countless posts about the ride being too firm. Have you rode in one and how does it compare to the 'normal' AMG

Just noticed your saying Mercedes are becoming more like BMW!!! Nooooooooooo Think iX nuff said :)
A Black Series is definitely firm compared to a normal car, and but it’s not uncomfortable. It is better suited to tracks and sweeping smooth tarmac than it is to potholes streets though.

Now this is my personal opinion, but I think that many AMG’s from the early 2000’s onwards are oversprung and underdamped. I’m a bit of a fan of KW suspension, and have found that their V3 kits, whilst slightly more softly sprung, add a level of damping control that are a revelation compared to the factory fit.

There is a big difference between well damped very firm suspension and crashy harsh suspension

everything is luxury, special or high end now .. it’s a world of wonder, a la la land where everyone is healthy, rich, happy and contented

Back then Mercedes already had quite a broad range of AMG models, but they were very rarely seen on the road, and very few members of MBClub had one either.

They are as Common as Muck now days :( That's why i bought the Bentley ;);)

I've never seen another C55 on the road - saloon or estate.

I can't recall the last time I saw an E63 estate by chance - obviously I saw one yesterday because I went to view it, but encounters in the wild as it were have been limited to the saloon.

However, I see C63's frequently.

I can't recall the last time I saw an E63 estate by chance - obviously I saw one yesterday because I went to view it, but encounters in the wild as it were have been limited to the saloon.

I have mentioned on here before, since I bought my C55 estate December 2016 I have seen only ONE other, ironically at a traffic light coming in the opposite direction just half a mile from my house !! I have not seen a saloon version either. During this time other than working and travelling quite widely in the UK I also spent many months working in the USA - East and West coast - (I know estate was never sold in USA) , various European countries and a month in South Africa.

Mine is my daily driver so tens of thousands of people have seen it blatting around , it's just that 99.9% of them don't know (or care) to them it's just another car with that odd AMG badge stuck on it on....common as muck them AMG's :p:p

Last edited:
Hi , From my point of view Daimler have diluted the AMG brand because many current Mercedes cars have similar performance for road use.

I had no choice but to purchase an AMG Line car to obtain car / the performance I required.

What I don' t understand why people fix AMG badges all over their cars that are not AMG product.

Hi , From my point of view Daimler have diluted the AMG brand because many current Mercedes cars have similar performance for road use.

I had no choice but to purchase an AMG Line car to obtain car / the performance I required.

What I don' t understand why people fix AMG badges all over their cars that are not AMG product.
It does seem like every other Mercedes I see on the road now sports an AMG badge on the boot lid or tailgate.

To be fair many of them at real AMGs - they’re much more popular now - but many more have been added to non-AMGs.

Many of the drivers of up-badged cars don’t look like they’d be interested in up-badging so perhaps some are oblivious.

I think it is all about profit for the manufacturer and they don't really care about the brand AMG image like in the past.

If they can sell more cars by sticking an AMG badge on the better for them hence the 43 and the 53 range. However i do really like the new 53 GLE!

I would have preferred if the 63 full fat AMGs had a bit more uniqueness to differentiate them especially in the interior. But i read re the new GT black series even it comes down to enormous cost to change and they aren't willing to do it.

Hi all, new to AMG but I’ve seen this in Audi, too. I think it’s a natural reaction from the manufacturers to demand for cars that look sporty without the additional running costs (especially insurance costs...) of genuinely fast cars.

It did niggle me in the past, when people would misidentify my TTS as an S-Line, for example. With Audi people seem to understand tht an RS is different, but struggle with the slightly lower spec machines. Maybe Merc and AMG naming conventions are a little more opaque?

Look on the positive side - ’genuine’ AMG cars become Q-cars again because there are so many AMG-line cars on the roads :)

Hi all, new to AMG but I’ve seen this in Audi, too. I think it’s a natural reaction from the manufacturers to demand for cars that look sporty without the additional running costs (especially insurance costs...) of genuinely fast cars.

It did niggle me in the past, when people would misidentify my TTS as an S-Line, for example. With Audi people seem to understand tht an RS is different, but struggle with the slightly lower spec machines. Maybe Merc and AMG naming conventions are a little more opaque?

Look on the positive side - ’genuine’ AMG cars become Q-cars again because there are so many AMG-line cars on the roads :)
The thread originally started because of the relative popularity of full-fat AMG models now compared to a few years ago, but evolved into the AMG line.

Personally I have no problem with AMG line models, and no problem with upbadging. A while back it seemed to get some people “excited” though, not so much now.

TTS, nice car 👍🏻

On that front, I think it’s just symptomatic of us living in more prosperous times. And there is more finance as I think has already been mentioned.

On top of that, a lot of younger folks have little prospect of buying a house so spend their hard-earned on cars instead!

TTS was a lovely car to be sure!

The more AMG's the merrier & who cares whether there is a dinky little badge stuck on the engine cover. 'Tis the same with BMW, every other model has an 'M' badge whether it's the low-rent basic model or not. It all helps to puncture a few over-inflated egos. The joke is that other motorists couldn't care a toss about the badge on our cars, on todays congested roads & over-populated country you're just another darn car in their way.

Agreed, i often see C63's but i can't remember the last time i saw another E63 on the road......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom