AMG popularity: a good or bad thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve never found a Mercedes to be uncomfortable, despite Mercedes becoming more like BMW and BMW becoming more like Mercedes,

I find that Mercedes typically have a relatively compliant ride compared to their equivalents, although active suspension really helps in that regard.
My SLK 350 (R172) was the most uncomfortable car I've ever owned. Even my 1996 MG B GT was more comfortable. Not saying that it was undriveable as It was my daily drive and we did several long road trip in it. I'd have replaced it with a 55 but my wife insisted on something more comfortable.

.... The joke is that other motorists couldn't care a toss about the badge on our cars, on todays congested roads & over-populated country you're just another darn car in their way.
Yet we have multiple forums for the various Marques, surging new car sales with people overextending themselves financially just so that they can be seen in their new car..............never mind debadging and upbadging. I think that cars are very much a status symbol in this country.

Yet we have multiple forums for the various Marques, surging new car sales with people overextending themselves financially just so that they can be seen in their new car..............never mind debadging and upbadging. I think that cars are very much a status symbol in this country.
For some they are. But some of us just want a nice/fast car for our own enjoyment, and distance ourselves from this mentality. It's just a personality thing; some like to draw attention to themselves, others prefer to melt into the background. Hence to debadge/Q cars, is the antithesis of what you describe.

....................... Hence to debadge/Q cars, is the antithesis of what you describe.
........and the minority. There are more that de badge poverty pack cars for the opposite reason.

My SLK 350 (R172) was the most uncomfortable car I've ever owned. Even my 1996 MG B GT was more comfortable. Not saying that it was undriveable as It was my daily drive and we did several long road trip in it. I'd have replaced it with a 55 but my wife insisted on something more comfortable.
As above with my ex 250 SLK pseudo AMG. I could have done without the stupidly pointless hard suspension, lowered ride height & add-on sill extensions which just made it a faff when needing to access the jacking points. All just a pose. My fault of course because my test drive was too short to properly evaluate comfort as I was pre-occupied with the fact that there was residual water leaking in at the front roof seal, the car having just been washed. Luckily Mercedes replaced the entire roof with a newer glass roofed version. BTW my SLC 300 goes round corners just as well on its 'normal' suspension.

Strangely in my area I have only ever see. AMG ‘Line’ mercs but never an AMG. What almost worries me to a point where I just fitted a camera outside the house, is that everybody knows my car in the village and neighbouring towns. So it stands out. And it worries me it stands out to the wrong people lol.

In fact even in around 10-20 miles radius I haven seen another E63S.

I saw once a C63 at a petrol station but that was it.

Strangely in my area I have only ever see. AMG ‘Line’ mercs but never an AMG. What almost worries me to a point where I just fitted a camera outside the house, is that everybody knows my car in the village and neighbouring towns. So it stands out. And it worries me it stands out to the wrong people lol.

In fact even in around 10-20 miles radius I haven seen another E63S.

I saw once a C63 at a petrol station but that was it.
Whereabouts are you out of interest? Like you, I haven't seen an AMG other than a C63 at a petrol station, but sure there must be some around in South Lincs/ North cambs..... anyone here?!

I live in a fairly isolated location, but fairly confident the German shepherds will be sufficient deterrent...I recommend them... though my 212 is much less valuable than your 213!

Whereabouts are you out of interest? Like you, I haven't seen an AMG other than a C63 at a petrol station, but sure there must be some around in South Lincs/ North cambs..... anyone here?!

I live in a fairly isolated location, but fairly confident the German shepherds will be sufficient deterrent...I recommend them... though my 212 is much less valuable than your 213!

Easy Cambs. 40 minute drive north from Cambridge half way towards Kings Lynn.

Easy Cambs. 40 minute drive north from Cambridge half way towards Kings Lynn.
I'm in fens as well, there does to be a lack of AMGs!

Time for Covid to go away so we can have meet ups.

Oh and it’s East Cambs of course but I gather you figured that out lol

Sounds like a Fens GTG would be popular. I'm on the Cambs/Northants border.

I was looking on the MB website the other day, only choices where Sport, AMG line, Diet AMG or full fat AMG.
The C class no longer seems to exist as a saloon.
Even the diesel G wagen has been ruined.

I do enjoy 'sporty' cars, but for the way I use a car 99% of the time they are an uncomfortable PITA.

As my dad used to say, cars are an evil necessity. As for status symbol, yes to some, but for others they could be stereotyped. Me for example. Many a time ive driven onto the estate to go home, and have been followed by the police because of the car. Ive been accused by 1 officer of being a drug dealer because i have a flash car in his opinion.
Other than that i think its a good thing. Takes the fight to BMW and Audi, and with the success of the F1 team, it will only get more popular.

Virtually zero AMGs here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom