AMG rag top - what's it worth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Merc E320

Car
E 320 cdi Avantgarde 5 door,W208 Clk 4.3 V8, BMW E30 325i Cabriolet
Hi,

My mother in law is thinking of selling her AMG convertible 51 plate E class. the car is maintained bya non MB garage the colour is silver it looks good no panel damge and the interior is leather, it is an auto.
I am interested as I think it would be fun but I have heard of problems with the gearbox but is this simply rhetoric.

Can anyone give me an idea of a fair price for the car and what problems can be encountered on this model.

Is it effected by the dreaded tin worm??

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

My mother in law is thinking of selling her AMG convertible 51 plate E class.

You sure it's an E-Class cabriolet on a 51 plate? If it is a CLK55 AMG Cabriolet rather than a 51-plate E-Class cabriolet (which I don't think exists) and original UK car, it is one of only six CLK55 Cabs produced.

More information required I'm afraid.

Yup the last AMG E class cab. was the 124 E36

1556-2.jpg

I can understand the confusion as the CLK does have the E-class headlight arrangement. Buying from a relative, especially the mother-in-law is fraught with all sorts of dangers. If it were me, I would log onto something like Auto-trader and show her all the different prices and then let her make a valuation, unless you want to give a more than fair price. The E-class of that era is fraught with all sorts of corrosion issues, but you are in a position to have a very close inspection of this vehicle.

rumour has it that Mercedes-Benz is cracking down on Mobilio claims and this specific vehicle sounds like it no longer comes under the Mobilio umbrella.

Regards
John

There must be more than that. There's two just down the road from me.

They must be 209s, the 208 CLK55 cabriolet is rarer than hen's teeth. I've only seen one for sale, it was £25k sometime last year.

Ahh, must be then. Both are are on private plates but one shows on the DVLA as 2003 and the other doesn't show (maybe I remembered the number plate wrong).

Just looked on Auto-trader and could not find a 2001 CLK AMG convertible, the nearest I found was 2003 and that was an eye opener. Prices are starting at £24,999

regards
John

Just looked on Auto-trader and could not find a 2001 CLK AMG convertible, the nearest I found was 2003 and that was an eye opener. Prices are starting at £24,999

regards
John

W208 CLK55 AMG Cab is very rare as already said. There was a post sometime back when one came to the market for around £25k.

Have been talking to my dealer and others about trading my CLK - p/x offers have ranged from £18k to £22k :eek:

Yep, as above - there's one for sale right now, but I've seen two others for sale over the last couple of years, and I haven't exactly been looking.

One had very low mileage, and another one had something nearer the 100K mark. IIRC, both were silver, so it can't be the one in the link above.

Only three left to find then?

Will

Hi to all

Sorry to all, it is a CLK AMG, my fault I thought that as it looked akin to an E class it would be called an E class cabriolet (no substitute for a good MB education).

I will post more info on the cars spec, history etc. But if anyone cna shed any light on this models problems I would be grateful as i do not want to but a whole lot of problems.

My m in law has had the car from new, never driven it hard but replied upon garages for TLC to the car when required.

Coincidentally the car was in for several days of repairs to the auto box (I believe) and for the interim she used a 124 oil burner estate which she really enjoyed driving so much that she thought it more fun than her soft top! The 124 did not present a problem in finding a safe parking area neither for loading lots of goods into but then again she did not get the passer by looks in the street (her words not mine).

The value will be different depending upon how much of the car is AMG.

Some cars are badged as an AMG but don't have any AMG equipment. Some have a few AMG trinkets, maybe wheels or bodykit. Others have the whole caboodle, ie a car produced by AMG with an AMG engine, suspension, etc.

If you can get the VIN number (should be on a plate in the windscreen) you can punch it into a VIN decoder (use the forum search to find a link) and you can find out where in the spectrum your M-i-L's car is.

We can give a better indication of value based on that.

If you can get the VIN number (should be on a plate in the windscreen) you can punch it into a VIN decoder (use the forum search to find a link) and you can find out where in the spectrum your M-i-L's car is.

WDB and the first 6 numbers is basically all you need, chassis type and engine type! The rest is fine tuning ;)

WDB and the first 6 numbers is basically all you need, chassis type and engine type! The rest is fine tuning ;)

Good point.

Although I was thinking he may be interested to see the whole spec if he was wanting to know the full picture.

Got me thinking - does the decoder work with a part VIN?

Got me thinking - does the decoder work with a part VIN?
It is not a decoder, it is a lookup using the VIN as the index :) . All you can work out from the first six numbers is the chassis and engine type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom