Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
We regularly praise our various MB models, whether C Class, E Class, CLS etc etc.

Then someone refers to the halo derivative, the all powerful AMG with it's fabulous powerunit and generally enhanced looks (IMO).

Suddenly there is derision from some, usually non AMG owners.

Why is this? :dk:

I wonder if the BMW forum boys diss the M3/M5 - I'm betting they don't.

It depends what you want the car for I suppose, the AMG versions are only superior to the other cars in performance and that's not everyones main plus point of a car, some favour economy and comfort etc.
I woudn't say the AMG versions get dissed though.

We regularly praise our various MB models, whether C Class, E Class, CLS etc etc.

Then someone refers to the halo derivative, the all powerful AMG with it's fabulous powerunit and generally enhanced looks (IMO).

I don't deride AMG but don't pay much attention either.

Now we have relatively mundane MBs being tarted up with AMG badged accessories and owners touting their C220s as 'AMG' because of it.

The AMG brand is being diminished bit by bit.

I wonder if people identify AMG with the 'Black Series' or just latch on to the brand 'Black Series'.

OTOH the BMW M is seen as having some sort of racing heritage and the older M3s had a huge amount of credibility that still just about stands because some of us oldies remember them.

But BMW are also now diluting the M branding by applying it too widely across their range and and having MSport variants that are more focused on cosmetic and styling changes (bit like a Sport/AG vs Classic/Elegance).

Now we have relatively mundane MBs being tarted up with AMG badged accessories and owners touting their C220s as 'AMG' because of it.

The AMG brand is being diminished bit by bit.

I couldnt agree more :thumb:

The AMG brand is being diminished because its being used too widely on models that have nothing to do with what AMG was about in the first place. A pair of skirts here and a spoiler there dont make them AMG's.

To me, AMG primarily stands for power, which is why i got my S55k, otherwise i would have been happy with a S320. Then second to the power, is the AMG dawn chorus from the exhausts, again, why i got the S55k and not a quiter S600L when they both have the same amount of power.

Each to their own i guess, but a lot of the newer models that are badged as AMG's are just a bleak reminder to me of the haydays when little boys used to stick M3 badges on the back of their 318's. :mad:

I think a lot of the deriding comes from the notion that "proper" AMG's are very expensive to buy, run and maintain, which i dont think is necessarily true if im being honest.

Last edited:
I can't say I've noticed the AMG brand being dissed on here at all. Personally I love them; the more loader and extreme the better for me. I know, I'm still a child deep down.

I'm with Clarkson on this - 'POWER!'

I know what you guys are saying about the image being erroded by people putting AMG badges on their cars, it's happening with most manufacturers but particulary Ford, BMW and Vauxhall. Loads of 1.6 Focus' are having ST badges applied; BMW have the obligatory M badge, and Vauxhall 1.9 diesels are having a VXR badge added. Admittedly these three examples all have dealer option styling packs - ST pack, M sport pack, and VXR line but it still doesn't stop Joe Bloggs buying a badge off fleabay.

All you genuine AMG owners continue to fly the flag and fly it high for all to see. We got ya backs! When we catch up that is. lol :)

I don't think it is sudden John. It seems to have crept in and is maintained by only a few members. The AMG boys rise above it. (More power to them, pun intended)
Perhaps the "Garage Queen/Detailing/Not coming to Bluewater if it's raining" statements are pounced on and derided/sneered at by some. Personally I think its petty and is schoolboyish in its operation. I am currently doing up a 124 24v 300 Coupe and that will be a Garage Queen/Sunday Car. And I will delight in it on high days and holidays.

Each to their own and let us just get on with being Mercedes owners. Not everyone stepped in to ownership of Mercedes at the AMG tag, which may annoy some. Some came up through the ranks, as it were, paying their dues as they came.
Someone has to pay for the fancy glass palaces which are Main Dealers and thankfully that is not me. I'm sure the markup on AMG service parts and all other AMG associated PCPs/Finance deals go someway to keep my 124 bits and bobs flowing the the main dealer parts network. Think of the Indies too who look after AMGs once they pop out of warranty.

So to the AMG boys I say thank you. I have not met many AMG owners but those I have have been "Bob On"

Reaches for flak jacket, tin hat and sets up a decent arc of fire with layered defensive positions.

All you genuine AMG owners continue to fly the flag and fly it high for all to see. We got ya backs! When we catch up that is. lol :)

Mines a "TRUE" AMG, but im a bit of a Sunday driver to be honest, so you might catch up to me . . . . . :D

So to the AMG boys I say thank you. I have not met many AMG owners but those I have have been "Bob On"

Reaches for flak jacket, tin hat and sets up a decent arc of fire with layered defensive positions.

Not all us AMG owners are power crazy, petrol drinking, hooligans . . . . some of us are decent folk.
wink.gif
(Well, i like to think i am anyway).

So dont worry about defenses, we've got your backs aswell. :thumb:

As above, yes I suppose in the pursuit of more sales, the marketing people have won against the engineers and effectively diluted the brand.

Personally, I lust (but in a nice way) after a proper AMG - filled up last week on the A127 and a gorgeous new silver SL AMG was there (footballer's wife car, unfortunately), and I can still hear the noise as it fired up. One day, I'll get one.............

I've only seen it with regards the C63 owners and even then that's only because they are easy to wind up.

Other than that, I can't say I've ever noticed any 'needle'.

Don't see that at all :dk: Members here respect eachother wether they have £500 or £100.000 car

Now where is that best forum thread

It's mainly a few w@nkers on here who diss the C63 as it is 'popular' and relatively affordable so is not seen by those w@nkers as a halo model like the other AMGs. In fairness to them I get pretty sick of some of the threads saying 'C63 wing mirror problem' when I personally would post '204 C Class wing mirror' to widen the audience as it is the same freakin' mirror. And don't get me started on 'what is the difference between the Performance Pack an the Performance Pack Plus' threads.....

My opinion is different, AMG cars used to be a bit soft but nowadays they are harder and really pushing the BMW M cars for magazine top trumps.

But then again, I am biased, just like those w@nkers.....

PS I wouldn't buy a M car because of the w@nker image, the Audi dealers are w@nkers so it was AMG, but debadged of course to please the w@nkers on here.

PPS Is it me or are there a lot of w@nkers about these days?

Last edited:
I agree with Sweetpea (not something you could say outside this forum).

As above, yes I suppose in the pursuit of more sales, the marketing people have won against the engineers and effectively diluted the brand.

Personally, I lust (but in a nice way) after a proper AMG - filled up last week on the A127 and a gorgeous new silver SL AMG was there (footballer's wife car, unfortunately), and I can still hear the noise as it fired up. One day, I'll get one.............

better be soon then as they are likely to be electric by then !

the C63 as it is 'popular' and relatively affordable

Read...cheaper to lease than a C-class diesel.
So why do the C63 drivers keep saying that others would get one if they could afford it?

The cars aren't the problem...;)

Ha Ha - bite that bait hard smelly fuel fella!

I'm not biting, just clearing up any misconception that decent people like developer and trapperjon may have.

The cars are fine, not for everybody to use as an everyday car, but fine...

The tags on the threads say everything there is to say about C63 drivers...and you yourself used the word w@nkers quite a lot in your post.

At one time AMG were an independent tuning firm like Alpina was to BMW [ You could argue the BMW M series were produced as a direct response to the original ALPINA modified cars] Think the rot set in when AMG was brought " in house" and MB started to use the name as a "marketing tool" Sure they still build startlingly fast motor cars but there's an awful lot of "faux" AMG body kitted "standard performance" cars out there which inevitably dilutes the brand performance image. Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with people wanting a sporting looking car and AMG body kits often improve the looks of rather the lacklustre standard cars. But if you want hard core AMG you need to go back to the early models which looked pretty near standard until you pressed the loud pedal!:cool:

I don't see what the problem is. Most of the AMG "Sport" bodied Mercs in recent times don't come with AMG badges. For example my E350 Cab. It had AMG wheels, AMG body kit, but no AMG badges.

The genuine AMG cars are all masterpieces in my eyes, from C to S, each has a different "fit". C is the sporty number, E the grunt/cruiser that's still sporty and the S is just an uber autobahn stormer. Purrfect.

To relate a recent story, my wife has a newish Boxster S and before we bought it I took one for a test drive. Quite a quick car, really they are. However I got behind this C63 and whilst I wasn't really trying as had Mr. Salesman next to me this C63 on a straight road just totally mullered the Boxster left us in it's wake. Told the salesman the Boxster was a bit slow for me but would be fine for the Wife. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom