AMG second hand car market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only 'C' in the village ! :D I have had my C55 AMG estate for nearly 15 months now and have not seen another, not even a saloon. There is tatty 4 door C63 that barks its way around town near me regularly and I see another few from time to time but not that many. In the south West 'on the edge of the Cotswolds' bollucks...only if you are trying to sell your house and have a creative estate agent.;) Otherwise known as somewhere between Bath Spa and Swindon !!
Ah the dodgy bit of Chippenham then Pete ;-) Having said that someone leaves his 997 gt3rs at the station not infrequently.
I see a c63 regularly not no other e55/63 I can think of.

My 2011 C63 PP+ estate (pre-facelift) has been up for almost 2 weeks. I've had a number of offers but none at the right money, I'm asking £23,995 which I think is fair - just need the right buyer to come along who wants a well cared for, low mileage and original example. Worst case scenario I will take one of the trade bids I've had but would be £1,500 or so down on what I think it is worth.

Interesting comment re Maserati's as I have put down a holding deposit on a 2014 Granturismo and the seller is ore than willing to wait for me to sell mine probably due to this fact that he well knows that finding the right buyer will take time. :(:(

I saw your car listed it is a very good example and I hope you get what you're looking for in terms of price. You probably saw mine too. Also, what made you go for the Maserati?

There is a dealer close to me who have had a CLA45 and a C63 coupe in for at least 6 months and have knocked a few K off their original asking price. The C63 is a very low miler and looks showroom condition, but I believe isn’t massively well specked. I’ve looked at it and was interested at one point but 3 doors is no good to me.

I know dealers are finding it hard to shift the CLA45. I am not sure why. They are great little daily cars.

i think your right. Well I know your right. I think the c63 v8 is a flagship for merc. Certainly when they came out it was a very desirable car with a lot to offer. And yes I agree it’s taken place of the m3 that has held the hooligan record for many years and that’s a shame. But in years to come I think the v8 c63 will be again desirable and will be like said as rare as the saf cosies are now. It’s just the bit in between of driving around in a dated car that your waiting to become wanted again. Or garaging it up and forgetting about it. I don’t need my c63 at all as it’s purely a weekend car but still it’s nice to own one and be able to take it out and enjoy it time to time. But in a few years will I feel the same about taking it out as a weekend toy? No. I think I’ll want something half up to date. It’s an awkward decision.

I know we had this chat last year. I've decided to cash out of my weekend car.

In theory yes, when someone has an immaculate Ford Granada or Vauxhall Nova a car that was ten a penny but now rare, there is some value in them.

A C63, compared to an average hatch is still significantly rarer and will become more so when they get stuffed into hedges or modified distastefully. Take the classic shape Subaru Impreza. They became a chav icon, thousands ruined and now they'll creep up. Look at the likes of a Ford Saphire Cosworth, could be bought for a couple of grand at one point, look on Autotrader for one that's sub £15k now as it's a rare car that's become even rarer.

I think you right in terms of then be abused. If you look at certain websites especially eBay you can see c63 amg on sale by dealers that have been part ex that have engine problems of all sorts. There are lots of CAT C and CAT D cars with the C63's.

I saw your car listed it is a very good example and I hope you get what you're looking for in terms of price. You probably saw mine too. Also, what made you go for the Maserati?

I have a budget of c£50k and wanted something a bit interesting (have a R/Rover Sport for family / dog / etc which has kind of taken the place of the C63 estate as the car we use when travelling any distance as a family) but key criteria is that I still need 4 seats (I have had a 2 seater as a second car alongside the C63 previously and it just didn't get used a lot).

So what can you buy for £50k that is a bit interesting and is 4 seater?
  • 911 (quality product, rear seats too small and didn't sound nice enough to excite me)
  • Bentley Continental GT (definitely has presence, high quality and fast but again didn't give you that 'feeling')
  • BMW M6, Porsche Panamera, Audi RS6 (performance versions of existing cars, not quite special enough)
  • Nissan GT-R (clearly is the best car if are going for 'numbers' but just doesn't appeal to me one iota)
  • Audi R8, Jag F Type, SL63, Aston Martin V8 Vantage all only 2 seater so discounted
So this came back to the Maserati - stunning looks, sounds great (in a highly strung Italian sort of way), is quite unique and compared to other 'exotica' and I found that I can get into one which is still under Maserati warranty to 'de-risk' it slightly.

It's definitely a car that plays to your senses and is an event to drive rather than doing the right numbers (0-60, bhp, top speeds, etc) but how many times to we really get a chance to stretch our AMG's legs and use more than 2/3rd's of their capability in the UK anyway!!

I recently purchased a CLK63 and most of the cars hang around on Autotrader for months, but the ones that sold are unusal spec, low mileage, or a combination thereof at a sensible price. I've noticed that in March two of the cars have been reduced.

It's a funny time for used cars where the market has slumped overall - and that's everything from supercars down - but sellers are still keen to push anything slightly unusual at what I consider to be unsustainable prices.

Interesting (and slightly depressing) thread this. I'll be selling my Dec 13 C63 in 2018 at some point - only 23k miles and pretty much mint but I've now lost hope that I'll get a price which will justify selling it. There are very few options out there which would represent an upgrade but I don't like to own older cars out of warranty so my plan has always been to sell this year. When I had my B service in Jan I got a GLE 43 as a hire car and really liked the seating position and interior but I can't see it being much fun. I do like the M3 saloon too but would it really be any better? New 2018 Audi RS5 is gorgeous but I've had plenty of Audi Sport models already. If C63 prices were depressed and it was easy to sell mine I would move on and try one of these options but as it is I might have to hang on longer than planned. Tricky quandary.

I know dealers are finding it hard to shift the CLA45. I am not sure why. They are great little daily cars.

I think the CLA is considered more of a women’s car, I personally see a good number on the roads on my travels all over England Scotland and Wales and most often they have been driven by a women. I think that may be a factor. Plus their prices... despite falling, for a 15 plate CLA 45 you can get a 13/14 plate even C63 ‘real’ AMG.

I quite like the look of them and by all accounts they are cracking cars, but I could never see myself owning one.

The C63 is quite common and are now becoming affordable to buy, run, maintain and even insure. They are kind of the new M3 in many ways as the choice for boy races and young lads wanting a fast car that can be track driven and modified.

My worry is a lot of AMGs in the future will be so heavily modified, finding an umolested and genuine OEM example will be hard to get. Good news for the owner of such a vehicle as £££££, but not so much good news for a future classic enthusiast of the AMG in terms of being able to afford/find such a car.

I also worry how much the AMG brand is being diluted at current by Mercedes which all effects used car prices when it comes to such cars.

I think my E63 given the colour and spec will after say 2 or 4 years of ownership be a much easier sell than had I chosen a C63, and I’d get more money too as they are quite rare. I’ve not seen one with a 100 mile radius of where I live on the road. I’ve seen 1 in London and 2 in Scotland. I know of at least 4 C63s on Tyneside, that or some are replicas which wouldn’t surprise me...

I can see unmolested CLS55s with low mileage’s going for seriously good money in 10 years plus. 20k upwards easily. Especially low tax band 05 plate cars.

^^^ AMG badges are everywhere, I thought BMW were taking the Mick with 'M' badging just about every second 4 pot diesel they made but MB have made AMG badging in to a religion.

IMHO the C 63 (particularly coupe) has already slipped into 'chav' territory. Still a good car though if you can live with the new image it is beginning to cultivate.

I’m a petrol head and love my cars so I’m happy to see anyone really buy a good car, be they chav, boy racer or whatever, as long as they don’t go blaring around 20mph zone streets in them. Does it devalue the brand or make such cars less exclusive if lots of chavs or boy racers start buying them en masse? Probably, but who am I to deny anyone owning what is a magnificent car in the C63. I looked at them closely, estate, coupe and saloon version from 2008-2014 and as much as I would have loved one no doubt, it just isn’t the car for me at this stage in my life, 38, 2 kids etc.

It’s a bit bonkers and seems to be heading towards the 20-25 year olds with a decent job or disposable income and again good luck to them. The reason I lusted after the CLS55 is because it’s not common, it’s more a Mercedes of old, luxury, design, uniqueness or rather exclusivity and of course the AMG power. I like that kind of exclusivity and sense of owning a car that is not two a penny like the M3 become and seemingly the C63 is becoming. I spoke to a dealer recently who at one point couldn’t get enough of Focus STs, but nowadays, it’s C63 AMGs he tries to stock because that’s what the ST Focus lot now aspire to and can afford. A 213 Focus ST or a 2008 C63 AMG?

I don’t think you can blame or criticise Mercedes, dealers or the used market for that because it’s a kind of a natural progression and it’s always buyer driven. Mercedes have had a hit on their hand with with C63 pre new shape version which I think is a bit like marmite and can save the C63 in its current guise in terms of used prices and exclusivity. You don’t and won’t see many of them on the road and I can see prices remaining good as a used car, especially in coupe format which is so different from the estate and saloon versions, mich more than the previous version.

For those with an earlier version though, I can only see prices dropping and massively so as dealers look to stock a car they know there is a growing but saturated market for and private buyers just wanting to get rid.

The AMG to buy today to enjoy and be able to sell on quickly and at a decent price should you wish or to retain some exclusivity would be the W212 E63 which is what I eventually settled on, with not keeping it for 4 years or so an important part of my decision. The new 4 matic version will be a slow burner. It’s my ideal car or would be in 7 seat estate version but not at those prices new or several k miles old. I’ll wait until the price drops dramatically. I honestly don’t think mine at almost 40k cost 2014 with 20k miles, 2 year MB warranty and almost every option ticked in 2-4 years will drop to the kind of levels where your chavs, boy racers and any tom **** and harry will be able to afford one much less desire one mind. Unlike the C63.

Just my opinions of course having monitored for 5 or 6 years all kinds of AMGs in my search or lust to own and buy one. Starting with the magnificent and never to be beaten CLS55, which will increase in value as a future classic in years to come.

When I had my CLS in at an official local dealer for some work done, waiting to collect it, this is about 2 years back, a man and women in their 40s were being shown around a C class saloon, the dealer emphasised AMG line which he told the would be buyer, meant it was top of the range, different to the standard models and was more high performance and exclusive, it was a diesel I’m sure. He was impressed, she didn’t have a clue. Ooh I’ve heard about AMGs he said. I told him give me ten minutes and I will show you an AMG and also let you drive one and I would have. He looked at me like a lunatic and the dealer wasn’t impressed I was scoffing at their AMG badged diesel.

I must admit I felt a little sad that day.

But, there is a car for everyone, but if only they knew or could see and feel the difference, that 40 odd year of bloke might have thought **** it, I want a C63 or maybe not, at least he wouldn’t have been duped into thinking the car he was looking at was something it wasn’t and never will be. And that’s why I love the AMG because it’s unique, it’s dfferent, even in the common C63 guise. It’s special and if you get the chance to own one snap the hands off of whoever is selling you it, dealer, private seller or direct from MB themselves. Providing it’s all good of course...

The AMG to buy today to enjoy and be able to sell on quickly and at a decent price should you wish or to retain some exclusivity would be the W212 E63 which is what I eventually settled on, with not keeping it for 4 years or so an important part of my decision.
I'm on my second W212 E63, so I agree with the notion that it's the one to buy ;)

However, the market for used E63's is tiny - mainly because there were so few of them sold new in the first place - which means that you have to have a combination of the right car in the right spec at an attractive price to stand a chance of selling it and even then they can sit around for a l-o-n-g time. I don't want to dampen anyone's fireworks, but an E63 retailing from an MB main dealer at £40k will have been bought in for £7k - £8k less, so if you intend to move it on in less than two years you will definitely take a bath on it, even if it is a good colour & spec.

Having had my completely sorted C63 on the market recently I certainly agree with the comment about this car attracting the wrong crowd. I have never had so many chancers. Offers thousands below an already low asking price, kn*bs calling up asking to hear the exhaust on the phone, and people making low offers and if I accepted they retract and offer even less. These people don't even have the common courtesy to write a polite text, instead will simply text '£xxxx ?' and thats it.

I have had many sports cars but none had attracted this type of crowd when I came to sell, which is a shame as these cars in my opinion are too special and last of a dying bread to fall into the hands of b*llends. Rant over :)

I was thinking of selling my old c63 estate. My mileage has increased significantly since I bought the car. I’m now averaging 25k a year. I should buy something more sensible to do the commute in but if it’s that much trouble to sell one of these I guess i’ll just have to keep hold of it and see how many miles these cars can do!

This has been a very interesting debate. Ultimately though I bought one because I admire the styling of the C204 C63; it's an amazing car to drive; it's a proper AMG; it doesn't have a turbo; It's a well specced, comfortable 2+2-seater.

Do I worry about what other type of people drive these cars? No, everyone has a right to choose what they drive [as long as they do it legally]
Do I worry about what it will be worth when I come to sell it? No, that may well be a long time away yet

I just enjoy driving an amazing car that puts a smile on my face :D

And I'm aged over 50!

Hi all,

I am sure this topic comes up over and over.

I have listed my C63 PPP to sell with lots extras. It's a very very very low mileage C63 so it gets extra attention from people you don't want to ring you.

I am been harrased by tyres kickers with stupid offers and "so-called traders".

My question is where are the real buyers other than the ones in b**df**d/ lut** town. with there ridiculous justification about price? And utilmately is the second-hand market for AMG dead as a private seller?
do you mind telling what you've been bid? also it depends on many things i understand it is a ppp but it is also 7 years old ,the wheels need to be refurbed to original spec also do you have extended amg warranty with the car ?a big point in selling these cars. even though i think you have a lovely car i do think it is overpriced. there seem to be a lot of people commanding stong money for there cars but are they selling? all the best with the sale of your car.

This has been a very interesting debate. Ultimately though I bought one because I admire the styling of the C204 C63; it's an amazing car to drive; it's a proper AMG; it doesn't have a turbo; It's a well specced, comfortable 2+2-seater.

Do I worry about what other type of people drive these cars? No, everyone has a right to choose what they drive [as long as they do it legally]
Do I worry about what it will be worth when I come to sell it? No, that may well be a long time away yet

I just enjoy driving an amazing car that puts a smile on my face :D

And I'm aged over 50!

You should never buy a car based on what you may or may not get for it once you’ve had your fun or whatever anyone else thinks. I’m a bit of a car snob when it comes to my own preference in that I’d never buy a standard Focus or a Golf or any other standard car (for me personally to drive and own), but that’s not because I worry what others may say, it’s just that If I’m looking at BMW 5 series, I’d always want the best of what they offer, an M5. A Focus it would have to be an RS, an Audi an RS etc. and so on.

The image of the C63 or the kind of owners they now attract would never put me off, it’s practicality more than anything. I wouldn’t mind actually owning one one day just to compliment the ‘list’ if you like.

I'm on my second W212 E63, so I agree with the notion that it's the one to buy ;)

However, the market for used E63's is tiny - mainly because there were so few of them sold new in the first place - which means that you have to have a combination of the right car in the right spec at an attractive price to stand a chance of selling it and even then they can sit around for a l-o-n-g time. I don't want to dampen anyone's fireworks, but an E63 retailing from an MB main dealer at £40k will have been bought in for £7k - £8k less, so if you intend to move it on in less than two years you will definitely take a bath on it, even if it is a good colour & spec.

You will always lose money on a car unless you buy an extrwmely rare super car and basically lock it away for a while so I know I’ll lose money on mine, but the way I look at is that my 40k car after 4 years even if I get 20k for it it’s 20k in the bank and I will have had 4 years of owning an a amazing car at less than 100 quid a week cost wise minus servicing, petrol, insurance etc.

The limited miles I do, the condition of the car and the colour and spec and it being the last of the 5.5 bi Turbo should ensure that I’ll get good money for it and a small but definite portion of people who would want my car.

Not that I bought it with that intention, looking to get as mad back from it when I’ve had my fun.

I’ll probably keep mine for 2 years and just keep upscaling the AMG brand.

I do love a Mercedes, I’ve just bought an 18 year old SLK32 6 speed manuel today, condition 90% mint, new battery, alternator and discs and pads alround a few months back and bought from a driving instructor who is a petrol head and the uncle of my best mate, business partner and cousin. Test drove it today, what a powerful little car with a lovely sound from that V6. Blue with Black and Tan interior.

I failed my economics 'A' Level, so I can't figure out if the ban on new diesel and petrol cars by 2040 (or perhaps even sooner!) will mean I'll buy be able to own a full-blooded V8 or V12 engined AMG before I retire... I suspect I'll just get priced off the road anyway with the inflated taxes on petrol by then :rolleyes::confused:

Ban on diesel and petrol cars from 2040 does not go far enough, MPs warn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom