AMG second hand car market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
do you mind telling what you've been bid? also it depends on many things i understand it is a ppp but it is also 7 years old ,the wheels need to be refurbed to original spec also do you have extended amg warranty with the car ?a big point in selling these cars. even though i think you have a lovely car i do think it is overpriced. there seem to be a lot of people commanding stong money for there cars but are they selling? all the best with the sale of your car.

My car is a facelift 2012 with 16000 miles. It has over 15k worth of extras which I can list if you want. I have had offers in the mid-twenties where the traders are showing much stronger bid above the mid-twenties. What about yourself what are they offering you?

Having had my completely sorted C63 on the market recently I certainly agree with the comment about this car attracting the wrong crowd. I have never had so many chancers. Offers thousands below an already low asking price, kn*bs calling up asking to hear the exhaust on the phone, and people making low offers and if I accepted they retract and offer even less. These people don't even have the common courtesy to write a polite text, instead will simply text '£xxxx ?' and thats it.

I have had many sports cars but none had attracted this type of crowd when I came to sell, which is a shame as these cars in my opinion are too special and last of a dying bread to fall into the hands of b*llends. Rant over :)

This is partly why I started this thread pretty much the same experience. I had one person ring me up at 5 am. That is not normal and luckily for me, I was in the gym as that is my routine.

...but the way I look at is that my 40k car after 4 years even if I get 20k for it it’s 20k in the bank and I will have had 4 years of owning an a amazing car at less than 100 quid a week cost wise minus servicing, petrol, insurance etc.
That's the only way to look at these cars: they're to be enjoyed!

I never understand why people put options on a car for anyone else but themselves. So what if a £1000 option you'll enjoy will be worth nothing in 3 years time? You will have had a grand's worth of enjoyment from it.

I have a budget of c£50k and wanted something a bit interesting (have a R/Rover Sport for family / dog / etc which has kind of taken the place of the C63 estate as the car we use when travelling any distance as a family) but key criteria is that I still need 4 seats (I have had a 2 seater as a second car alongside the C63 previously and it just didn't get used a lot).

So what can you buy for £50k that is a bit interesting and is 4 seater?
  • 911 (quality product, rear seats too small and didn't sound nice enough to excite me)
  • Bentley Continental GT (definitely has presence, high quality and fast but again didn't give you that 'feeling')
  • BMW M6, Porsche Panamera, Audi RS6 (performance versions of existing cars, not quite special enough)
  • Nissan GT-R (clearly is the best car if are going for 'numbers' but just doesn't appeal to me one iota)
  • Audi R8, Jag F Type, SL63, Aston Martin V8 Vantage all only 2 seater so discounted
So this came back to the Maserati - stunning looks, sounds great (in a highly strung Italian sort of way), is quite unique and compared to other 'exotica' and I found that I can get into one which is still under Maserati warranty to 'de-risk' it slightly.

It's definitely a car that plays to your senses and is an event to drive rather than doing the right numbers (0-60, bhp, top speeds, etc) but how many times to we really get a chance to stretch our AMG's legs and use more than 2/3rd's of their capability in the UK anyway!!
Cracking choice & great around GT. What did go for a 4.7 GTS MC Shift? Your nearly into Stradale money as they are just teatering on dropping just under 60k.

Cracking choice & great around GT. What did go for a 4.7 GTS MC Shift? Your nearly into Stradale money as they are just teatering on dropping just under 60k.

A Stradale would be nice but those at £60k mark are high mileage, the better examples are nearer £70k - there is a really nice one at Hills of Lymington but maybe next time!

I test drove lots of examples and whilst the MC Shift was nice at full chat I'm not sure I could have lived with it around town (very clunky plus clutch is £3k+ job every 30-40k). I've gone for a post facelift MC Autoshift which is huge improvement on original full auto, no clutch life to worry about and comes with switchable exhaust like the GTS.

My C63 (still on Autotrader and Pistonheads, now reduced to £23,250) I am probably going to have to trade - best trade offer currently £21,650 and trying to push them to £22,000 - a bit sad really as I've loved it for 5.5 years, it is a really nice and original example which I think is worth more - its a PPP, on 507 wheels (originals supplied too), only 47k miles, full MBSH, just had service and new Michelin Pilot Sport tyres 500 miles ago. So anyone interested has about 24hrs if they want to snap it up at trade in price!!

This is partly why I started this thread pretty much the same experience. I had one person ring me up at 5 am. That is not normal and luckily for me, I was in the gym as that is my routine.

Yep, I routinely had offers and texts coming in after 11pm which suggests its just chancers browsing the classifieds in bed firing off random texts.

Very nice. Of course the the MC Shift suits most better when a weekend toy for more daily or regular work the Auto is the right choice.

I have a 4200 CC as a toy then a Quattroporte ZF Auto for regular work. Amazing how long the GT has run...over 10 years & only just being stopped soon. Pretty timeless & still looks great today. Enjoy [emoji6]

One of my bucket list cars the Maserati GT, a stunning car all-round. I could have had a seemingly good example for what I paid for the E63, but runnimg costs kind of scared me, that and the unknown territory. I’d love to own one in the future though and it’s a car I will definitely aim to own some day. For me it’s one of of the best looking cars out there right now and of all-time, and very rare.

That's the only way to look at these cars: they're to be enjoyed!

I never understand why people put options on a car for anyone else but themselves. So what if a £1000 option you'll enjoy will be worth nothing in 3 years time? You will have had a grand's worth of enjoyment from it.

Agreed. I’m just thankful the previous owner of my car shared what I mostly wanted in it in terms of options, not everything of course, but most of which was offered. You see lots of ads saying fully loaded, over 10k options fitted etc. While it can help sell a car and appeal extra to some people, it won’t make the car extra desirable or unique or get you more money.

From mine I wanted the panoramic sunroof, a reversing camera, dynamic seats which it has minus the massage element, driver assistance package such as lane assistance, too close to car in front thing, cruise control and heated and cooled front seats, rear would have been a bonus but alas and the carbon night package I think they call it, it also has. To find it had a rear blind thing was a bonus. That’s pretty much all I wanted. Didn’t want distronic. If I was desperate for heated rear seats or other options like illuminated door sills I dare say I could get them retro fitted, no doubt for silly money, but I imagine they would have been silly money to add originally. Such options won’t add value to the car or anything so its down to what I want during my ownership. As it stands it has more than enough for me options wise and certainly power wise.

I wonder how you’d find out about the C63 convertible. Must all be listed together.

Tracked down some public data from the DVLA website and the breakdown is just at model level so nothing more detailed than the list below, there are paid for datasets which can provide this info probably but a bit too pricey for a DIY project.

AMG C63 AUTO
AMG C63 EDITION 1 S AUTO
AMG C63 PREMIUM AUTO
AMG C63 S AUTO
AMG C63 S PREMIUM AUTO
C63 AMG AUTO
C63 AMG BLACK SERIES AUTO
C63 AMG DR520 AUTO
C63 AMG EDITION 1 S AUTO
C63 AMG EDITION 125 AUTO
C63 AMG EDITION 507 AUTO
C63 AMG PREMIUM AUTO
C63 AMG S AUTO
C63 AMG S PREMIUM AUTO

My C63 (still on Autotrader and Pistonheads, now reduced to £23,250) I am probably going to have to trade - best trade offer currently £21,650 and trying to push them to £22,000 - a bit sad really as I've loved it for 5.5 years, it is a really nice and original example which I think is worth more - its a PPP, on 507 wheels (originals supplied too), only 47k miles, full MBSH, just had service and new Michelin Pilot Sport tyres 500 miles ago. So anyone interested has about 24hrs if they want to snap it up at trade in price!!

Now sold to a trader for £21,850 :(:( dropping off tomorrow.

Sad to see her go after 5.5 years, been a great car and will definitely miss the the AMG growl. Just reflecting on it, how crazy is it having a 487bhp V8 engine in a compact family estate car!!

You should never buy a car based on what you may or may not get for it once you’ve had your fun or whatever anyone else thinks. I’m a bit of a car snob when it comes to my own preference in that I’d never buy a standard Focus or a Golf or any other standard car (for me personally to drive and own), but that’s not because I worry what others may say, it’s just that If I’m looking at BMW 5 series, I’d always want the best of what they offer, an M5. A Focus it would have to be an RS, an Audi an RS etc. and so on.

The image of the C63 or the kind of owners they now attract would never put me off, it’s practicality more than anything. I wouldn’t mind actually owning one one day just to compliment the ‘list’ if you like.

I disagree Chris. I know very few people who (unless they have a moneytree or a very profitable business) who would purchase a new RS6, Alfa etc without thinking of the depreciation costs 1st (or negotiating a heavy discount).
From personal experience, I will firstly look at the car of MY choice (agree with you on that one - always nbuy what you want and not what society thinks is 'hip' at the given moment) then look at residuals (is it better waiting 12 months or can I afford to take a hit of several thousand pounds?)
Get the best money can buy and the colour choice of you liking (staying away from colours that are not even marmite...hearing aid beige being one)

I have bought many cars new and have always chosen spec, colour and dealer carefully before signing on the dotted line.

I remember many years ago, Whatcar bought a Renault Safrane for circa £30,000. 12 months later it was valued at just £9k.

With this thread - it is quite sad reading if I'm honest. I, for one will not be jumping to sell just because the market has taken a little hit. The prices of C63's have remained steady for a number of years so it is ony a matter of time before prices drop (if only slightly). Also, Winter is a difficult and bad time to sell most things. Wait until the daffodils come into bloom & people have a smile. Always makes purchasing anything that little bit more pleasing.

That said - everytime I sell a car - 12 Months later they always go up in value. I'll keep you uposted when I sell - wait 12 Months before advertising your own

Sad to see her go after 5.5 years, been a great car and will definitely miss the the AMG growl. Just reflecting on it, how crazy is it having a 487bhp V8 engine in a compact family estate car!!

That's a shame, but atleast you got a buyer for it I guess. Keep ahold of your original wheels if you can and flog them on ebay or the likes to recover a few hundred which will hopefully take you over the £22k you were after.

That's a shame, but atleast you got a buyer for it I guess. Keep ahold of your original wheels if you can and flog them on ebay or the likes to recover a few hundred which will hopefully take you over the £22k you were after.

Yes, that's exactly what I've agreed as part of the deal - even though they need new tyres and have no centre caps, like you say I should make a few ££'s back on them.

My car is a facelift 2012 with 16000 miles. It has over 15k worth of extras which I can list if you want. I have had offers in the mid-twenties where the traders are showing much stronger bid above the mid-twenties. What about yourself what are they offering you?
i know the spec of your car, as i said it's a lovely car, i think if you're getting late twenties from traders that's good going:thumb:. i don't have 1 anymore, would'nt mind your's for £25k though.;)

i know the spec of your car, as i said it's a lovely car, i think if you're getting late twenties from traders that's good going:thumb:. i don't have 1 anymore, would'nt mind your's for £25k though.;)

You'd have to give me more than that. I'd rather sell private though than a trader. I rather see it go to a good home and not a trader make some $$$ from finance deal.

Always that Maserati to look forward too.

Sadly performance cars lose a fair old wack from knew . Lots of bargains to had atm . In ten years you won’t be able to find decent c63 for love nor money .
Enjoy the Maserati and the memories of the c63

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly performance cars lose a fair old wack from knew . Lots of bargains to had atm . In ten years you won’t be able to find decent c63 for love nor money .
Enjoy the Maserati and the memories of the c63

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its the dynamic of the car market at the moment with ownership declining and more people hitting the lease market.

Quick look on Autotrader shows a lot more metal available from 2104 and 2015, I guess some deals or worries of 3 year olds have come to fruition and it's meant quite a drop. There are far, far more now for sale than when I was looking just 6 months ago (from about 6 to near 30 in the same price range, or a lot cheaper!!), so supply and demand has swung the other way...

That and new 63 and 63's less than 12 months old have lost at least £25,000 to £40,000 in some cases!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom