AMG Staggered 17" slight wobble - fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordlee

Car
A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
Hi All,

I have purchased a set of staggered AMG wheels and had them all balanced. However I have noticed a wobble at around 56-60mph which disappears above 60mph. I would usually put that down to balancing but having had them balanced it seems strange that I still get a wobble.
They tyres on them arent perfect so could that be a cause or maybe a bush is on its way out and the wider alloys are accentuating the problem? Maybe even one of the wheels is out of true but how would I check that?
Any help is appreciated...

What type of establishment did you have them balanced at?

I took my CLK to a mid range place that did more servicing than tyres, they balanced the wheels and I still had a wobble.

Had new tyres fitted to my MR2 Turbo at a tyre fitting place (not a low end place), still had a wheel wobble.

Took both cars to a "decent" place who balanced them again and did the job right. I asked why they were able to sort it when others couldn't?? They simply said you would be surprised the amount of places who can't balance wheels or have crap kit.

Last edited:
To be fair that is not a bad shout as the place isnt amazing. I am going to put my 16's back on and then get the AMG's refurbed and checked first. I would still like other opinions though as maybe there is something I can do in the meantime...

Firstly, check they do actually fit on the hubs properly - they only need to be a mm out and they won't spin true, leading to vibration even though they are balanced. (I had this with another make of car using non-genuine wheels and needed to get spigots to centralise properly. It taught me a lesson never to buy cheap again).

If all fit as they should, jack each wheel up in turn and spin by hand, using a reference tool to check the rim for being true. They could be slightly buckled and you'll need to check carefully... Hope this helps

Could possibly be a tyre that's flat-spotted or out of shape. But as above more likely to be less than perfect balancing I think.

I recently had the exact same problem. Had the wheel balanced by two places but still the wobble between 50 and 60mph. Finally took the car to my local Mercedes dealership who said that the tyres where out of shape so wheel balancing alone would never solve the problem.

Four new tyres fitted and she's as smooth as a magic carpet :)

Firstly, check they do actually fit on the hubs properly - they only need to be a mm out and they won't spin true, leading to vibration even though they are balanced. (I had this with another make of car using non-genuine wheels and needed to get spigots to centralise properly. It taught me a lesson never to buy cheap again).

If all fit as they should, jack each wheel up in turn and spin by hand, using a reference tool to check the rim for being true. They could be slightly buckled and you'll need to check carefully... Hope this helps

They are genuine AMG off a CLK so I'd hope they would fit correctly. When you say to use a reference tool what exactly do you mean? Did you have somethinmg in mind as a pointer always helps the inexperienced (with Alloy wheel dilemmas) man.

Could possibly be a tyre that's flat-spotted or out of shape. But as above more likely to be less than perfect balancing I think.

Would an out of true tyre not show up on the balancing machine? I ask as the tyres are pretty sh##ty so it may well be them.

If the tyre isn't perfectly round, no matter how perfect the balancing is you will never lose the wheel wobble.

Could ask them to spin the alloys without the tyres to check they're not buckled?

I will whip it down to a better tyre bay and get them checked out on saturday. Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom