AMG start up's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Anyone with a 55/63 AMG had a reaction from the public to a start up whilst being close to the car?

For my part, in just over a year, nothing, until last Thursday, and then again today.

First time was outside my local swimming pool/gym and I'd backed the car into a parking spot outside the main exit. Quite a crowd had gathered outside chatting. I noticed two young women stood at the rear of the car chatting in Polish.
I was with my grandson and started the car after an hours swim, so not a cold start ,which is a fair bit louder on a Biturbo.
I heard a scream , then a laugh from one of the women over the exhaust noise , such as it had caught her unawares. Looking in the mirrors, the noise had caught the attention of quite a few others. I couldn't help smiling.
Does that make me a bad man?

Then today, a middle aged woman had parked in front of me at Tesco's open air car park.
She was loading her shopping and as I started the car she literally jumped in surprise then gave me a look that could kill. I could understand it if she was at the loud end, but the front was facing her. I did raise my hand in apology for scaring her but I wonder if she just overreacted.

Anyone else had the dirty looks or the thumbs up on a start up?

Anyone with a 55/63 AMG had a reaction from the public to a start up whilst being close to the car?

For my part, in just over a year, nothing, until last Thursday, and then again today.

First time was outside my local swimming pool/gym and I'd backed the car into a parking spot outside the main exit. Quite a crowd had gathered outside chatting. I noticed two young women stood at the rear of the car chatting in Polish.
I was with my grandson and started the car after an hours swim, so not a cold start ,which is a fair bit louder on a Biturbo.
I heard a scream , then a laugh from one of the women over the exhaust noise , such as it had caught her unawares. Looking in the mirrors, the noise had caught the attention of quite a few others. I couldn't help smiling.
Does that make me a bad man?

Then today, a middle aged woman had parked in front of me at Tesco's open air car park.
She was loading her shopping and as I started the car she literally jumped in surprise then gave me a look that could kill. I could understand it if she was at the loud end, but the front was facing her. I did raise my hand in apology for scaring her but I wonder if she just overreacted.

Anyone else had the dirty looks or the thumbs up on a start up?
I’ve never really noticed, although I do try to avoid starting whilst there are pedestrians closeby. My neighbour did ask whether our first car with an M157 was broken though because of the racket on a cold start 😁

Don’t forget you’ve got a modified exhaust system on yours Roger. The ‘63s are pretty loud as they come anyway so it’s not surprising that they’d turn heads on start up :thumb:

I made a little girl cry when I started up my car in a Tesco carpark, as she walked past behind car. Her mother laughed at the time and gave me a thumbs up when I mouthed 'sorry' to her.

True story.

I always avoid starting while people are close to the car. Especially the older generation. I remember going through a tunnel near to me I forgot I was in S+ mode, on the other side of the tunnel is a railway station. Just as i approached the end of the tunnel traffic backed up and the car downshifted with a bit of a bark. This old boy reacted with "hey good one" I think it took him by surprise to say the least. But I didn't intend to scare or rattle anyone.

The Bentley has the Sports Exhaust Option :) Compared the the CL it's a scream. On downshift in Sports +, Snap,Crackle and Pop 😂🤣 Not what you would suspect from a Sedate Bentley 😉

A couple of bikers were parked next to the CLS55 and asked that I "give it some" as I pulled away. I obliged and left 11s out of the car park. They past me a couple of miles later gave the big thumbs -up :thumb:
Near to home saw one of my daughters with her three girls, so I held the left paddle and down-shifted as I floored it. I got a telling off when she came home. Made her jump and reduced the girls to tears...:rolleyes:
I overtook a couple of cars on the way to our local Coop. As I parked up one of those drivers came over and called me "a boy racer", I smiled and said thank you! :D

I only get dirty and angry looks and loads of V signs and swear words, especially from the elderly.
Used to it now. I pay my dues in my line of work being a Geriatrician. LOL.

AMGeed maybe you knocked polish lady knickers off and made her giggle in sheer joy when your exhaust screamed to her? :)

I would mention I don't normally start the car if there is someone very close to the back end. Especially picking up grandson in the school car park.
The trouble is, you can't wait forever for someone to move.
@ Boon. Your car should have a warning its so loud. 😁Makes mine seem quiet.

Reading the above posts, seems I'm not alone in scaring someone unintentionally.

You hooligan! You need an ASBO 😂😂

I get the odd look, never had a dirty look but then I haven't modified it apart from the flaps being constantly open. Usually from younger eastern Europeans, they seem to like their German cars

It quite funny starting up the W213 E63 with an AMG emotion start, that certainly gets peoples attentions, usually with a jump or a yell, depending on the type of person.

Can't say I've noticed anything from starting the car. Although I do recall coming up a fairly long hill near to where I live in my CLS and a guy doing some work in a front garden watched the car as I went past. I wasn't driving fast but I suspect it sounded fairly raucous under load.

You hooligan! You need an ASBO 😂😂

I get the odd look, never had a dirty look but then I haven't modified it apart from the flaps being constantly open. Usually from younger eastern Europeans, they seem to like their German cars
Read that post quickly and thought it said something about Eastern Europeans, flaps and dirty :rolleyes:

I got that one neighbour that isn't a fan of the C63 cold start up. But I don't care I'm not a fan of her cars either 😂

The other neighbour has a BMW M4 so he likes the cold start ups.

I was once getting petrol in the E55 in a Tesco petrol station which isn't once of those generous forecourts so most cars move out slowly.

As I went to leave, I started up and to my right was a pickup and they were already moving and drove slow by my offside to the exit and the passenger was already looking out the window and down at the car with a constant thumbs up and said "that sounds amazing mate".

The -32 doesn’t really “bark” too much on start up but then it’s just a six pot. But my neighbours do say, when in their garden they can generally tell how much fun I’m having as I leave the close and meet the open roads.

The four series has the MPPSK fitted , from BMW, which entails a valved exhaust which always starts with the valve open for 20s. So basically it is a straight through system for the first 20s , good to know that i have saved the neighbours buying alarm clocks although not all appreciate being wakened up at 06:00.

They regularly give me the thumbs up through the curtains , well i think it is their thumbs.

You can quieten it down by just touching the accelerator but where would the fun be in that.

K

Guess it's really down to whether one can appreciate the sound of a good exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom