AMG start up's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 40 years in motorsport, I am surprised you have any hearing left whatsoever! I am from the other viewpoint after many loud road and race bikes, I think the most complained about was an RSV R Factory with twin Akrapovic exhausts, boy that was LOUD!

I do check what is nearby before starting up the cars as have been a few scared passerbys from the sound of a big V8 starting up! 🤣
PARDON!

I SAID... oh never mind :)
This is the one which needed quieter cans from standard, not LOUDER ones:eek:

DSC00028.JPG
With hindsight, a quieter colour scheme might have worked as well....but at least I never gone 'didn't see you mate!'

I had a quick look but think the pics of RSV R might be back when I used a proper film camera !

Back on the AMG start ups, I suspect an AMG V8 may well be fettled to sound different to a non-AMG V8 engine. The exhausts may be different although not sure for certain although other folk on here may fill in the details there! :) They are not particularly loud unlike many other cars driven by baseball cap wearing chavs and chavettes...

I had a quick look but think the pics of RSV R might be back when I used a proper film camera !
A what??? :dk: That really was a long time ago:eek:

Back on the AMG start ups, I suspect an AMG V8 may well be fettled to sound different to a non-AMG V8 engine. The exhausts may be different although not sure for certain although other folk on here may fill in the details there! :) They are not particularly loud unlike many other cars driven by baseball cap wearing chavs and chavettes...
An AMG isn’t particularly loud on start up? The modern ones - in the last 10 years - are ridiculously loud on a cold start.

A what??? :dk: That really was a long time ago:eek:
Have you forgotten the fun of taking photos after loading your 35mm film then the lottery of sending it off to get processed and *maybe* getting your own photos back again afterwards...... it would have been ~15 years ago! eek

Last edited:
An AMG isn’t particularly loud on start up? The modern ones - in the last 10 years - are ridiculously loud on a cold start.
Well both of mine are the old school M113K and M156 engines which still sound great especially on a cold morning start! The M156 sounded better than a Mustang Bullitt engine when side by side and put to a vote.... :)

Well both of mine are the old school M113K and M156 engines which still sound great especially on a cold morning start! The M156 sounded better than a Mustang Bullitt engine when side by side and put to a vote.... :)
For me, that slightly softer tone of the M113K and M156, and their more subtle volume was much more apt,.

They make the presence of the powerful lump under the bonnet known, without shouting too much about it.

This is the last big V8 noise that I was (ir)responsible for....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You have to listen on something with some bass response, or you'll miss most of it!

You have to listen on something with some bass response, or you'll miss most of it!
Love that sound 👌🏻

Love a bit of Boatley action :thumb: and sounding truly epic (thru Z906 speakers) :D

I wonder if i can get my Bentley to sound like that ? :)

Anyone with a 55/63 AMG had a reaction from the public to a start up whilst being close to the car?

For my part, in just over a year, nothing, until last Thursday, and then again today.

First time was outside my local swimming pool/gym and I'd backed the car into a parking spot outside the main exit. Quite a crowd had gathered outside chatting. I noticed two young women stood at the rear of the car chatting in Polish.
I was with my grandson and started the car after an hours swim, so not a cold start ,which is a fair bit louder on a Biturbo.
I heard a scream , then a laugh from one of the women over the exhaust noise , such as it had caught her unawares. Looking in the mirrors, the noise had caught the attention of quite a few others. I couldn't help smiling.
Does that make me a bad man?

Then today, a middle aged woman had parked in front of me at Tesco's open air car park.
She was loading her shopping and as I started the car she literally jumped in surprise then gave me a look that could kill. I could understand it if she was at the loud end, but the front was facing her. I did raise my hand in apology for scaring her but I wonder if she just overreacted.

Anyone else had the dirty looks or the thumbs up on a start up?
Yes. My next door neighbour LOVES it. I always sit till the revs dies down if the engine is cold. I think I enjoy it as much as she does.
With the M157 there is a whine/hiss that accompanies the start and that slowly dies away. Not sure what that is though. It makes me really like the Stop/Start facility.

Yes. My next door neighbour LOVES it. I always sit till the revs dies down if the engine is cold. I think I enjoy it as much as she does.
With the M157 there is a whine/hiss that accompanies the start and that slowly dies away. Not sure what that is though. It makes me really like the Stop/Start facility.

Reminds me when I had my CL in the latter noughties.

One Lebanese lady at work said she loved it as it reminded her of the old SEC 560 coupes which she loved in both looks and exhaust note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom